*Official* BBQ N' Smoker thread

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did a revers sear on a nice NY Strip tonight. It came out great, perfect medium rare. Even the wife had to admit it was the best steak ever. Here is a shot ready for the grill, nothing fancy, just salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic powder.

Here are a couple shots plated with some sauteed mushrooms and grilled Parmesan Cauliflower.

I am really loving my new Big Joe!!

Reaction score
Nice looking ribs Earl!! After doing some research I've opted to not wrap them in foil anymore. It's more or less a crutch. I've been leaving them open to the smoker the whole time now.

Here's my fuel source. It's hickory from a tree that I cut up. Someone on craigslist had a downed tree so I removed it for them. Nothing like not having to buy charcoal!

_1018603_zpswpmemuss.jpg

I always dry brine my meats with salt about 24 hours before cooking the meat. Dry brining is just simply sprinkling a 1/2 tsp of salt per pound of meat and let it sit for a minimum of 2 hours. In this pic I already dry brined it and added my rub. Because I dry brine I don't add any salt to my rub.

_1018598_zpsqz5dyhb8.jpg

Here it is the following day before going on the smoker

_1018624_zpsakoq1xfa.jpg

Getting the fire going

_1018610_zps7npfpxc9.jpg

Fire is just right

_1018698_zpsvqxed7ss.jpg

Put the meat on

_1018627_zpskevlhdz7.jpg

About half way there

_1018639_zpseyabktka.jpg

About 5-6 hours later

_1018647_zpseuznxyxm.jpg

_1018649_zpso7swcybe.jpg

_1018655_zpski0y7qjp.jpg

_1018656_zpsucjmx7um.jpg

As you can tell despite not wrapping the ribs in foil they still come out very moist and pull cleanly off the bone. I really do enjoy stick burning with just wood. For one all my fuel is free. Also it has an old feel to it that really does take some time to "master". I use that term loosely because I'll always be learning.

Next time I'll show you guys a datalog of my next cook!!

Looks good bro! I like to cook the same way.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
6440d3e39a9518313d736e12cb511f31.jpg

Pork tenderloin on my beginner cheapo smoker. I'm learning the ways of the smoker, I used to smoke everything in my webber charcoal one touch. I used to make killer ribs, steaks, chops, brisket, etc. in my webber, now I gotta least to do it in a smoker. Pretty successful so far
:)

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm breaking out the smoker as soon as I get home...

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Damn, that looks awesome!! How many are you feeding with that much food?

It was Customer Appreciation Day at the local Harley Davidson dealership. It was advertised "until they're gone." I smoked what the boss asked for and by time it was over, if I had to guess, I'd say 60-80 people ate. Harley boss was plating the ribs in 3 bone sections per plate. The ribs were demolished and I'd say maybe 8 lbs. of wings were leftover, no beans or slaw leftover.

It was a good time. I enjoyed doing it for my Harley friends.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
i'm reviving this thread since I'm about to spend $700 on a pellet smoker.

I'm very trigger shy though and have been researching this bad boy for months. Does anyone have or is familiar with the GMG Daniel Boone? I'm afraid I'm going to hate this purchase and kick myself for spending so much on a smoker.

since I know y'all are going to ask, I grill/smoke at least once a week; from simple chicken breast to brisket, my specialty are ribs.

or does anyone have a pellet grill to recommend? I'd buy a rec tech if I had the extra, from my research the gmg is a great buy for the money.

bigmike06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I bought my Traeger pellet smoker about 5 years ago and have only had to replace the heating rod so far. I use it at least once a week and usually twice on the weekends all the way from simple chicken and steaks to all day smoking turkeys and making jerky. It was $1000 CAD when I got it and I don't regret spending the money on it at all. If the GMG is even close to the same the quality it is well worth it and you will have a new appreciation for the taste of your food!!

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
thanks for the opinion! I feel better about spending my money on a pellet smoker rather than an electric smoker. I like real fire to cook my meat :)

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
For that kind of coin you could have got a decent stick burner.

1fastTbird

forum member
Reaction score
Oh my my. I just found this thread and I am going to have to read all of the posts. I have a Primo XL ceramic grill/smoker that needs a workout for SuperBowl weekend.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
For that kind of coin you could have got a decent stick burner.

I don't have room for a stick burner because I live in a townhouse in Seattle :(
I'll definitely get one when I buy a real house with a real back yard :)

Here's what I smoked up this weekend:

08dc16be8eed8ea3f27b26782abaf110.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
I overcooked my brisket today, I thought it would take longer than it did so I didn't check temp for a while. IT was 230 when I pulled it. Still tasted good just turned out like a pulled pork.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
You sure have some yummy looking meat!

LOL!
Those look fantastic!

I don't have room for a stick burner because I live in a townhouse in Seattle :(
I'll definitely get one when I buy a real house with a real back yard :)

Here's what I smoked up this weekend:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petitecath4

Reaction score
I use my BBQ and Traeger Smoker all year as well, and good luck topping our bad weather in Alberta here. Has nothing to do with nice weather LOL Baignoire à porte. Gonna do some ribs and lobster tails this weekend. Real hard to get fresh fish here though, although a trip for some halibut to smoke is worth it from time to time.
Too cool to see how much people in this forum like to party.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back