3.7 Eco-Boost & Direct Injection

NeoTokyo

forum member
Reaction score
one of my friends went to a class to learn to work on the new ford 6.7L diesel. the engineer there told him that there are ecoboost 5.0 V8 test mules out on the street right now.

THIS is exciting stuff to hear about. :)

Ford wants to keep power up but they also have to fit into new fuel economy standards and ecoboost is the best way for them to do it.

Nice Pony

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but there is something you guys need to know. The 3.7 isn't just a bored out 3.5. These engines are similar but the block in the 3.5 is much stronger. It has thicker webbing in critical areas throughout the entire block among other subtleties. This was pointed out to me at SEMA a few years ago buy one of the Ford design engineers that was actually involved with the design of both engines. They had both blocks there and he physically pointed out the differences to me.

Ike

forum member
Reaction score
Is there a limit to the 3.7's power?

At what hp level are the turbo 3.7's exploding?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Nobody really knows. A guy running a Pro-Charger broke his 3.7 at around 500 wheel HP as I recall reading about.

05yellowgt

Reaction score

It really doesn't matter because there are no factory direct injected ad turbocharged 3.7's out there. The would be designed completely differently from today's na version if they ever came into existence. The 3.5 is just a cam profile and tune adjustment away from big power that will match or outclass GM's 3.6 turbo v6.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter because there are no factory direct injected ad turbocharged 3.7's out there. The would be designed completely differently from today's na version if they ever came into existence. The 3.5 is just a cam profile and tune adjustment away from big power that will match or outclass GM's 3.6 turbo v6.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Ofcourse it matters. There is at least 5 shops working on a turbo kit for the 3.7. Two shops will sell the kits and the others are doing one offs or adaptation of a Hellion setup. Forged bottom end kits are available from several venders as well. As they are finding weak spots they are finding better solutions. Its no different from building on a 3v or the current 5.0.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

05yellowgt

Reaction score
This thread was about Ford releasing a 3.7 Ecoboost and not turbocharging existing 3.7's In the aftermarket so your question confused me.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This thread was really about wishful thinking. Personally I'd like to see Ford drop the 3.7 from the Mustang and replace it with the 3.5 Ecoboost V6. Make the 2.3 EB standard, make the 3.5 EB optional and retain the 5.0 in its current place.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back