Which Coil Overs do you use?

bennybutcher

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, new to drifting, and a first time Mustang owner. I haven't participated in a drift event yet. I've save up some money for a set of Coil Overs, but before I go spend it I wanted to get some input from people who have spent time drifting their mustangs.

This is the set I was looking at. http://www.americanmuscle.com/srperformance-v2-coilover-0514.html

Clearly the price is amazing, but is the spring rate too high?

Once I've adjusted the ride height will I need to replace the Panhard Bar with an adjustable one?

After this I intend to get the Unicorn Angle Drift Knuckles here http://www.driftknuckles.com/product/ford-mustang-s-197-unicorn-angle-knuckles

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

forum member
Reaction score
I was looking at the same kit but they've been on backorder for a couple months now.
I went with BC Racing as a lot of people leave positive reviews on them. The only downside with cheap coil overs is the bad ride quality.

Also CX Racing makes coil overs for these cars for less than $700 if you're on a tight budget.

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
I bought my BCs for 900 bucks shipped from Defined Performance. its the absolute cheapest place and I love them. they ride just as good as any other coilover than ive rode on.

bennybutcher

Reaction score
I bought my BCs for 900 bucks shipped from Defined Performance. its the absolute cheapest place and I love them. they ride just as good as any other coilover than ive rode on.

With the BCs can you make caster/camber adjustments? I wasn't able to find a site for Defined Performance. Did you do the install yourself?

I was reading an article by one of Dai Yoshihara's techs. I know it's for the S chassis, but it was extremely educational.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/modp-1201-basic-drift-chassis-setup/

I'm not sure how much of it is applicable to the s197, but it seemed like a good starting off point at the very least.

I need to be able to adjust camber, caster, toe, and ride height.

Mostly with the coil overs I'm curious about the spring rates.

The article says "Race car stiff is out — for drifting, you want to use spring rates that are only a little stiffer than typical high-performance street coilover spring rates."

The problem is I don't have any experience with coil overs. Would 447lbs Front Spring Rate; 331 lbs Rear Spring Rate work, or is it too high, or too low?

bennybutcher

Reaction score
I was looking at the same kit but they've been on backorder for a couple months now.
I went with BC Racing as a lot of people leave positive reviews on them. The only downside with cheap coil overs is the bad ride quality.

Also CX Racing makes coil overs for these cars for less than $700 if you're on a tight budget.

The CX Racing coil overs have rates of Front 7kg(391 lb/in) / Rear 5kg(279 lb/in)

The SR V2's are 447lbs Front Spring Rate; 331 lbs Rear Spring Rate

I looked for the spring rate for the BC Racing coil overs but haven't found it listed anywhere yet.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I looked for the spring rate for the BC Racing coil overs but haven't found it listed anywhere yet.

BC Racing coil-overs come with:
Front Spring Rate = 7k Rear Spring Rate = 5k

However, you can choose a different spring rate if you want/need. Just give them a call.

bennybutcher

Reaction score
BC Racing coil-overs come with:
Front Spring Rate = 7k Rear Spring Rate = 5k

However, you can choose a different spring rate if you want/need. Just give them a call.

I just did. They were super helpful too. Also to get different spring rates there is no cost. It just adds to the time it takes to get the parts. I'm looking at having them in about a month and a half.

I'm gonna go with front 8k rear 6k. I'll post progress shots once I've got everything.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I've had issues getting ahold of them in the past, but when I do, t hey are very helpful, like you said.

I went with a higher rate in the rear as the stock 5k rate was riding too low on my car, even with the adjusting hats as high as I felt comfortable having them. Think it was a 6k or a 7k rear spring, was a bit longer than the 5k too.

Some bumps are a bit rough at times with the BCs, but i've been happy with my purchase, it's been 4 years on the car.

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
my bad! I didn't read this till just now. defined performance owners name is Jordan Cutbirth, message him on facebook and he will hook you up. their website it being worked on right now. the install was super easy and yes ive done a dozen suspension installs. also yes BC have all the adjustment you want. all ive messed with is camber but its all adjustable.

bennybutcher

Reaction score
Realized I was putting the cart before the horse... I'll definitely post pics of my progress once I've got the coil overs - definitely going with BC Racing Coil Overs, but I needed wheels first so I blew half my budget for the coil overs on used wheels and tires. On the plus side I now have a full set of wheels/tires that have some decent tread left.

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
hey just wanted to let you know, ill be selling my BCs soon if your interested, ill have them for a decent price

bennybutcher

Reaction score

I did not create a guide or anything and forgot to take a pic at completely stock ride height, but here she is! The ride is so much better. Initiating is easier and more consistent.

I set them to full soft, then adjusted them up from there. Right now the struts are set to 5 and the shocks are set to 15.

The spring rate is 7k/5k and it makes a world of difference. I can always order new springs if I think these are too soft, but right now they feel a million times better than stock.

Here's a video of my 3rd event, I'm still really new, but I had such a blast. Can't wait for next month.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLFaDThgz3e/?hl=en

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
the shocks (front and rear) have a hex key with a knob on top that inserts into the top of each shock. Turning the knob is how adjustments are made.

similar to these

1042010_121947.JPG

bennybutcher

Reaction score

bennybutcher

Reaction score
Is there a way to adjust the rear shocks? I didn't see any adjustment dials.
How does it ride on those settings?
Just in case it's confusing. When you initially tightened down the shock in the rear, you used a large allen wrench to hold the shock still while you torqued it to spec (you know, if you did torque it to spec.), the smaller allen wrench goes in the same place, just further in and when it's there you'll be able to adjust the dampening.

46addict

Reaction score
The top nuts on the shocks call for 25 lb-ft if I'm remembering right. So I just hand tightened those until I saw the rubber bushings under the nut bulging out.

Thanks for the tip on the allen wrench.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back