Manual trans noise

moyjas1980

Reaction score
Hello...I'm new to your board and I have a question...

I recently purchased a 2005 GT 5spd car from a local stealership... Black on black 92k miles... Nice car...

However after brining it home I notice that sitting in the driveway listening to it with the hood up I hear a noise that I didn't hear before. There is a knocking coming from the back of the engine.... It's definitely not the engine because it goes away when you push the clutch in. This is with the car idling in neutral.

I know it's had the slave cylinder replaced (according to the Carfax anyway). It's also throwing a P2198 code for an O2 sensor that's causeing it to run a tad rough at idle....

I'm trying to get the dealership to fix it but I wanted another opinion. I'm a car guy...been working on stuff since i was 14 (I'm 36)... I just never owned a V8 5spd mustang... I know they have issues with trans noise but all I can find is references to gear whine...

What do you guys think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Whatever it is, sounds like the trans needs to be pulled to find it. Also the O2 sensor code could easily be related. Sometimes the wire gets pinched putting the trans back in.

Definitely ask the dealer to address it. Whoever worked on it last probably screwed it up.

moyjas1980

Reaction score
Im working on taking it up with the dealership. I'm not overly optimistic right now.... I keep getting the run around and I'm ready to drive it through their showroom windows...

It has not been a good experience so far. Which sucks because I love the car.

moyjas1980

Reaction score
Heard some other noises from it today....I'm thinking the trans is toast...

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
If the trans is shifting out fine, it's more likely the throw out bearing
Where are you located?

moyjas1980

Reaction score
Seems to be shifting ok... I'm in Fort Wayne, IN

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
It's the throwout bearing..... get a loaf of Wonder Bread and stuff it in the bearing, then put an extension in the reverse side of a 13MM socket, then hammer that bitch into the wonder bread..... Either that or dick around for hours with a stupid puller tool

Ps. Don't try and bench press the trans out, I fucked up the fingers with the shaft on my McCloud twin disc doing that

Last edited:

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
I agree, it's likely the throwout bearing. Now the bread part.... Do you leave it in the plastic? White or wheat? Sandwich or split top? So many questions.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Don't you guys mean the pilot bearing with the bread trick?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Correct they are thinking the pilot bearing. There is no traditional throw out bearing on a hydraulic clutch car, its called a slave cylinder.

moyjas1980

Reaction score
The throw out bearing and slave are kinda all one piece

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah.

When I installed my cams I had a rattle from clutch/transmission input shaft. Pretty sure it's gone since I've built motor and mcloed clutch. Was just a light rattle at idle

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
It's the throwout bearing..... get a loaf of Wonder Bread and stuff it in the bearing, then put an extension in the reverse side of a 13MM socket, then hammer that bitch into the wonder bread..... Either that or dick around for hours with a stupid puller tool

Ps. Don't try and bench press the trans out, I fucked up the fingers with the shaft on my McCloud twin disc doing that

What the hell are you talking about? There is no tools needed to press the Throwout Bearing off the Input Shaft.

Maybe you are thinking of the Pilot Bearing?

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Reaction score
Any noises when going down the road?

A manual transmission the has a light rattle while idling in neutral is no big deal IMO. If you're having rattling/grinding noises when going down the road well that's different.

Welcome and enjoy your car.

moyjas1980

Reaction score
Any noises when going down the road?

A manual transmission the has a light rattle while idling in neutral is no big deal IMO. If you're having rattling/grinding noises when going down the road well that's different.

Welcome and enjoy your car.
That's just it...I've been driving manuals for a long time... This is an unusual noise. It's not the typical gear rollover...it's a distinct clack clack clack coming from the bellhousing...

It's at the dealer now....they found a few items wrong with the car and it still has a 3mth/3000 mile warranty.

I gave them descriptions of all the noises as well as a list of the trouble codes it was throwing. The service manager called me and confirmed they heard the same stuff... The car is being taken to their Ford dealer as opposed to the Kia lot where there main used business is so they will troubleshoot the codes and the trans. The managed to find a bad ball joint and a wheel bearing while under the car too.

Fingers crossed they are taking care of it (they should but this purchase has not been a fun one)

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
At least they did not tell you they could not duplicate the problem. That is the story I have always gotten from dealers. Good luck I hope they get it straightened out.

moyjas1980

Reaction score
Well I lit his ear on fire last week when he told me there was no guarantee that sales would cover the diagnostic fees... told him they will fix it or take the car back...and if they leave me hanging I'll park it in the damn showroom.

Then I bitched out the salesman...

I gave them clear descriptions of the issues along with all the trouble codes...he knew he wasn't messing with a poser that thinks he knows cars...

I also wasn't being unreasonable. Told then I'm not worried about being without it for a few days. I want the issues fixed and that's paramount to anything. Service manager was much better on the phone today.

Fingers crossed!

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
BUT, Now it is going to another dealership and a different service manager! You are going to have to go through this whole song and dance again my friend. I was in charge of a fleet of vehicles at a previous job and if one of our newer vehicles had a major problem like a transmission or engine and it was still under warranty then it went to a dealer. I had a Dodge van with a bad transmission and when I went to pick it up I was told that they rebuilt the transmission. RED FLAG! Dealers don't rebuild transmissions, they install new ones. So I told my helper not to leave yet and went out and climbed under the van.............. Went back in and asked the service manager to please put the van on a lift. took a bit of arguing because he knew what was coming but after it was up I asked again what he did and he told me they rebuilt the trans. And to prove it he had the mechanic show me a bag of burnt clutches and seals. I said yup, I have them all over the place,you want Chrysler Ford or GM? Let me ask you something. Can you tell me how you rebuild a transmission without removing it from the vehicle? He got a bit pale but never skipped a beat and swore it was removed. Then I showed him the rusty bolts on the bell housing that had rust on the threads. I said these bolts have not been touched since the vehicle was new. Then he was getting ready to start yelling at the mechanic who I could tell was a newer guy there. I stopped him right there and said, this guy can do nothing in here without your say so, nobody does anything in this shop without the service managers permission, whatever was or was not done to this vehicle was your call. I got a brand spanking new transmission AND and an apology from Dodge Corporate. He was not there after that point either. This service manager was a retired football player and he was BIG, I guess he figured his size would intimidate people to just accept what he said as gospel. Didn't work and cost him his job.
Bottom line, do not trust anything they tell you, verify everything they say they do.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back