Super Six Motorsports

2011 3.7 Kona Blue

forum member
Reaction score
Do any of our 3.7 owners on here purchased the high performance cams for our 3.7 from Super Six Motorsports. It appears they are the only company that makes performance larger cams for our 3.7 and was wondering if the $ 1,475 per set was worth the power hp and torque gains.

I am just throwing the idea around at keeping my 3.7 completely N/A and was wondering if these performance cams were worth the money for the extra power you get. I also was looking for a much more aggressive louder idle when sitting at a traffic light and you can here those bigger cams rumble. Is this the case with these performance cams for our 3.7?

Will these performance cams really help with torque gains for that low down power or not really. I understand our 3.7 is not a V8 but that doesn't mean the 3.7 can't sound bad ass.

The Mustang Source Website sucks a$$ and the moderators are complete tool bags

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You didn't move it, you created a second thread, don't do that please.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
the cams are 1500 probably because the demand for them is so low.

also, its a n/a 3.7 that is pushing 306hp stock. So I am going to take a wild guess and say that the cams are going to rob low end and not give you that much on top. So unless it is a full race build honestly I would skip them.

but as far as power numbers, I would say ask a tech at supersix. if they say the gain is only like 20hp or something like that I would skip them. I just don't see how you can get significant gains from cams out of a n/a 3.7 that makes 306hp from the factory.

I would look into a turbo kit. hellion and lpf have kits. lpf has that car they have been racing GTRs and ZR1s with. I think they hit 600whp before they build the motor but don't quote me, look it up.

2011 3.7 Kona Blue

forum member
Reaction score
the cams are 1500 probably because the demand for them is so low.

also, its a n/a 3.7 that is pushing 306hp stock. So I am going to take a wild guess and say that the cams are going to rob low end and not give you that much on top. So unless it is a full race build honestly I would skip them.

but as far as power numbers, I would say ask a tech at supersix. if they say the gain is only like 20hp or something like that I would skip them. I just don't see how you can get significant gains from cams out of a n/a 3.7 that makes 306hp from the factory.

I would look into a turbo kit. hellion and lpf have kits. lpf has that car they have been racing GTRs and ZR1s with. I think they hit 600whp before they build the motor but don't quote me, look it up.
Thanks bro. That LPF turbo kit is making some crazy power.

Sent from my SCH-I535

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Oh, let's see. Complete shortblock ordered, received, installed, and cam bolt wasn't torqued to spec, backed out, and destroyed the engine. I ended up having to ship it back to them at my own expense...

They played with using 5.0 fox roller rockers in the engine, but didn't mention the noise they create since the pushrod holes weren't clearanced for that. Charged me another $500 to fix the problem by boring out the holes **while still installed in engine**. Metal shavings got into everything and cost another engine within 6 months. Of course, I didn't know they left all those shavings in there until the tear down.

There's more, but you get the idea.

2011 3.7 Kona Blue

forum member
Reaction score
Oh, let's see. Complete shortblock ordered, received, installed, and cam bolt wasn't torqued to spec, backed out, and destroyed the engine. I ended up having to ship it back to them at my own expense...

They played with using 5.0 fox roller rockers in the engine, but didn't mention the noise they create since the pushrod holes weren't clearanced for that. Charged me another $500 to fix the problem by boring out the holes **while still installed in engine**. Metal shavings got into everything and cost another engine within 6 months. Of course, I didn't know they left all those shavings in there until the tear down.

There's more, but you get the idea.
Wow. Enough for me bro. I'll pass on them. Sucks because as of right now their the only company who makes a larger performance cam for the 3.7

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
like I said though, unless race car build, I would avoid the cams, you are already getting 306hp out of a n/a 3.7, I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that any more would not tank your tq.

and that is $1400+tune+expendables more than pays for a spray setup with all the toys, or could get you closer to a turbo or SC kit.

2011 3.7 Kona Blue

forum member
Reaction score
like I said though, unless race car build, I would avoid the cams, you are already getting 306hp out of a n/a 3.7, I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that any more would not tank your tq.

and that is $1400+tune+expendables more than pays for a spray setup with all the toys, or could get you closer to a turbo or SC kit.
I really appreciate your guidance on the cams issue being I'm not real familiar with them. I was under the impression a more performance cam would give a car more HP and thought more torque. At least I was under that impression. Also, I like the sound of a cars idle rumble from a more aggressive cam.

So, you think I would loose torque and HP from a more aggressive cam. Does the 5.0 loose power too from the racing performance cams?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A fair bet is that the power would be moved up the RPM band. Any gains would be on top.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He's saying a 305 hp 3.7 V6 is a highly tuned engine so cams won't likely add big power without costing power down low. That would make the car less enjoyable on the street.

Just a CAI & a tune makes 3.7 move up to about 325 hp at the crank.

2011 3.7 Kona Blue

forum member
Reaction score
He's saying a 305 hp 3.7 V6 is a highly tuned engine so cams won't likely add big power without costing power down low. That would make the car less enjoyable on the street.

Just a CAI & a tune makes 3.7 move up to about 325 hp at the crank.

I'm currently sitting at 350 HP at the crank now. I definitely am not really looking for more higher end power but lower end to mid range power. :cool:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back