anyone ever have this situation?

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
My car has been vibrating lately. Anything over 35 mph and I hear vibrating sounds from my dash and I can see the rearview mirror vibrating to the point that cars behind me look blurry. The road noise is also considerably louder then it used to be.

Here is where is gets weird. If I'm turning the wheel to the right for a curve in the road that veers to the right then the vibrating goes away and the road noise immediately goes from loud to almost non-existent. But as soon as I complete the turn and straighten out the steering wheel the road noise gets loud again and the vibrating returns. Veering left does not stop the vibrating or road noise, only veering right does.

I thought at first it might be my tires since they were way low on tread and it was time for new skins. So I bought four brand new General G-max AS03 tires and had them mounted and balanced today. But that did not fix my problem as I was sure it would. The car still vibrates and is very loud road noise unless I'm turning right.

Anyone hear of this before? Car has 80K miles so I'm probably due for some new shocks and struts. Could that be it?

Thanks for any input,

07 Boss

Reaction score
What have you done to try and find the issue? have you looked over your front end? There has got to be a bad bushing or something is loose down there. Start with the tie rod ends, pitman arm and steering rack first as it seems like it may be related to steering components. But it could be anything at this point. When was the last time you had it aligned? Any suspension work done to the car? Rims tested for any run out? What kind of rims? So many things to look at, you have to help narrow it down.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
What have you done to try and find the issue? have you looked over your front end? There has got to be a bad bushing or something is loose down there. Start with the tie rod ends, pitman arm and steering rack first as it seems like it may be related to steering components. But it could be anything at this point. When was the last time you had it aligned? Any suspension work done to the car? Rims tested for any run out? What kind of rims? So many things to look at, you have to help narrow it down.

So far all I have done is replace all 4 tires and then post here to see if anyone has had the same thing happen to them.

Rims have enkei center caps and look kind of like these:

Amazon.com: 16x7 Enkei PSR5 (Matte Black) Wheels/Rims 5x114.3 (493-670-6545BK): Automotive

Tire size is 255/35/20 if that matters.

No alignment ever but the car seems to go perfectly straight when I let go of the steering wheel so there hasn't been any reason for me to think about it.

I got the tires installed at discount tires so I don't know what they do or don't do when it comes to inspecting or testing rims.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Oh and 100% stock suspension. My next mod was going to be lowering springs with new shocks and struts. But I'd like to get this sorted out first.

46addict

Reaction score
Still on the stock driveshaft? How does the rubber boot on the CV joint look? The symptoms you describe sound like a driveline vibration.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Yes still on the stock driveshaft. I'll get under the car tomorrow and poke around. You guys gave me some good starting points on where to start looking.

Much appreciated.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Still on the stock driveshaft? How does the rubber boot on the CV joint look? The symptoms you describe sound like a driveline vibration.

There is definitely some driveline vibration because the car is very hard to shift over 5000 rpm's. It doesn't grind but it just won't go into gear leaving me stuck in neutral. I did research on that symptom here and found that's a common problem usually related to needing new motor mounts and a K-member brace.

That issue has been happening longer than the vibrating noises so I didn't put two and two together. But maybe the issues are related after all.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
My guess would be outer tie rods. When turning you're putting a slight load on them and maybe taking out any slack by putting a load on them when turning.

If you're going to invest in lowering springs, shocks, and struts you're going to need a bump steer kit which would get you new outer tie rods anyway. Beware most bump steer kits are heim joints and they don't last nearly as long as stock outer tie rods. But they are nice and tight when new. I have the whiteline bump steer kit. Mine are a year old and already have some slack/play in them. Not bashing white line, they are a great product.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The center support bearing for my driveshaft gets noisy and has a vibration right on the driveshaft tunnel when going around a bend to the right at highway speeds. Definitely something worth checking.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to check for a possible bad wheel bearing.

I would check the front end out. Could be wheel bearing, tie rod, or maybe even a strut. With the increased road noise it kind of sounds like a wheel bearing to me.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Right front - I'll guess. Eager to see what is found.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
OP, are you using aftermarket wheels?

Yes the wheels are aftermarket. I'm the second owner of the car and the previous owner put on black enkei rims with 255/35/20 general G-max AS-03 tires all the way around.

We have gotten a lot of rain the past few days so I have not gotten under the car to take a look at it yet. Tomorrow being Easter I will likely not get a chance to look at it until Monday.

I hope that whatever the problem is will be visually obvious. If not then I may have to take it to a local mechanic for troubleshooting.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I had enkei wheels before and they required hub centric rings or I would get horrible vibration. Check for those.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Update:

I checked the car for hub centric rings but the rim was OEM fitment as there was no space to fit any rings.

I checked the outer tie rod ends and they look to be just fine.

While inspecting the wheel bearings I noticed both my front rotors are destroyed. The pads didn't wear evenly so the front of each rotor was still smooth with a little pad left but the back of rotors were shot as the back pads were worn down and had damaged the back of the rotors.

So I ordered two new rotors, new pads, two front wheel bearings and two new spindle screws. I don't know if wheel bearings are actually bad or not but for $30 each + $12 for a new spindle bolt I'm just going to replace them anyway and hope this fixes my problem.

I'll reply back after the new parts arrive and are installed to let you guys know if that did the trick or not. Thanks for all the help.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
Update:

I checked the car for hub centric rings but the rim was OEM fitment as there was no space to fit any rings.

I checked the outer tie rod ends and they look to be just fine.

While inspecting the wheel bearings I noticed both my front rotors are destroyed. The pads didn't wear evenly so the front of each rotor was still smooth with a little pad left but the back of rotors were shot as the back pads were worn down and had damaged the back of the rotors.

So I ordered two new rotors, new pads, two front wheel bearings and two new spindle screws. I don't know if wheel bearings are actually bad or not but for $30 each + $12 for a new spindle bolt I'm just going to replace them anyway and hope this fixes my problem.

I'll reply back after the new parts arrive and are installed to let you guys know if that did the trick or not. Thanks for all the help.

You probably should get the caliper hardware kit as well. Sounds like the calipers weren't sliding freely.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back