5 point harness install

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Okay, my car now has a 6 point rollbar and I need to put in a 5 point harness.
The shoulder straps are pretty obvious and the crotch strap will be mounted with one of the brackets that bolts to the seat mounts.
What are you using for the lap belt? I have seen several examples using the stock seat belt bolt on the outside, what do I do about the inside lap belt? I want to make sure that it will not only pass tech, but also protect me if something goes wrong.

Can I just drill a hole opposite of the outside seat belt mount and use either 3" plates, or 3" fender washers on both sides of the bolt? Will this be strong enough?
Anyone have pictures of what they have done?

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
The submarine belt has to anchored to the floor I thought.

For my lap belt I used both factory bolts on both sides. I just had to grind a tab off of one I believe so it would swivel more.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is it legal to have one end of the harness attached to the seat? If so, that makes it easy.

The crotch strap bracket that I want to use is this type:
http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=297

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I used the stock bolts for the lap belts.

^^This, and I also left the OEM belt in place so I can use that if just cruising around on the street, then the 5 pt is available for track days. I just used new grade 8 bolts and spacers to do this. Sub strap is bolted through the floor, through the frame on my car.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For the lap belt there is an alternative to the seat belt locations. I used these clips from Cool Tech and snap hooks from G-Force. Makes the lap belt easily removable.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I had trouble finding the snap hooks but had found the cooltech brackets. I was searching for full harnesses rather than just the actual snap hooks.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Okay, I ave ordered the Cooltech brackets but I am now thinking of using a 6 point harness instead and mounting the sub belts to the same brackets as the lap belt.

Are there any issues with this? Wolfe's bracket keeps the sub belt in front of the seat and I just can't see it being as effective as a 6 point that basically makes a loop around each leg.

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
If all you are doing is dragging. A 5 point is plenty. Here is my set up.

Cost 99 bucks and I utilized all my factory bolts and still have the stock belt in there

Only thing I had to fab was a tab for the shoulder straps to the roll cage.

forum member
Reaction score
If all you are doing is dragging. A 5 point is plenty. Here is my set up.

Cost 99 bucks and I utilized all my factory bolts and still have the stock belt in there

Only thing I had to fab was a tab for the shoulder straps to the roll cage.

Can you post a bigger picture? Where does your shoulder harness mount?

Maggo

Reaction score
I would never use 5 point, only 6 point. I like my "Johnson".
And why racing belts and a stock seat? That makes only sense in combination with a racing seat. Then the crotch (or anti sub) straps are coming trough the seat.
image_050.gif

image_041.gif

https://www.schroth.com/en/segments...ation-instructions/racing/EA_8-2__2014-11.pdf

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And why racing belts and a stock seat? That makes only sense in combination with a racing seat. Then the crotch (or anti sub) straps are coming trough the seat.
image_050.gif

image_041.gif

https://www.schroth.com/en/segments...ation-instructions/racing/EA_8-2__2014-11.pdf

I need it to run at the dragstrip, I got told not to come back without a rollbar or harness last time.
I don't want racing seats in it as I would need to go away from the factory seat airbags and then need a solution for the passenger side airbag sensor in the stock passenger seat.

forum member
Reaction score
I need it to run at the dragstrip, I got told not to come back without a rollbar or harness last time.
I don't want racing seats in it as I would need to go away from the factory seat airbags and then need a solution for the passenger side airbag sensor in the stock passenger seat.

I am in a similar situation and that is why I started this thread http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132420 . I don't want to give up factory seats but I need belts to go faster than 7.50.

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
image_050.gif

image_041.gif

Because most of us here still street our
Cars regularly and enjoy the comfort of the factory seats and seat belts. We only require the 5 point when we go to the track every so often.

So for the short answer. Because streetcar.

Maggo

Reaction score
Because most of us here still street our
Cars regularly and enjoy the comfort of the factory seats and seat belts. We only require the 5 point when we go to the track every so often.

So for the short answer. Because streetcar.

Track is something with corners where I come from :whistle1:
You are talking about dragracing I think. Then it makes sense that you dont need something with side support.
But I still think that the 5th belt makes no sense when ist comes from the front instead from below

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Next issue, what are you guys with wrap-around shoulder straps using to prevent the harness from sliding?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back