Whipple and Cruise control

G.T

Reaction score
I recently noticed that my H.O Whippled car acts up with cruise control..

suppose i set the cruise speed to 60mph and i'm in 3rd gear.. if i mash the accellerator the car doesn't go anywhere!
it sounds as if it's choking, and i notice the AFR is extremely lean (13-14) while on WOT.
so needless to say, i didn't try it much.. and i made sure when i have cruise control that i'd switch it off if i need to accellerate, rather than just accellerate as normal.

today i was cruising on the highway, and i decided to speed up a little bit.
hit the ( + ) key on the steering wheel and behold.. wrench lit up on the dash, and i was in safe mode going at 100mph on the fast lane with no throttle :S

i managed to ease my way to the right side and pulled over.. a fresh pair of pants and engine restart, and she was good as new.

i'm totally willing to live without cruise control, but i'm just curious wtf is up with it.

mind ya.. my car is working perfectly alright otherwise..

Last edited:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Even though I don't have a Whipple, mine did that a couple times last year (go into failsafe using the ( + ) button). Adam tweaked the tune, and it has worked fine since. He told me what caused it and how he fixed it, but I don't remember... it's been over a year. I wanna say it was something like a transfer table, but I'm just not sure.

Oh BTW, there's no need to pull over if it goes into failsafe again. With my auto trans, all I did was slip it into nuetral, turn key off, turn key on to restart, put it back in "D" and keep on driving. I presume you could do something similar.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine has done that before too ( Saleen SC ).

BTW, why are you using cruise control at 60mph in 3rd gear??

G.T

Reaction score
don_w: to be honest i thought i'd throw it in neutral and restart it, but i had a bad feeling it may not start, and pulling over was a safer bet :)

hawgman:
i was in 5th going 100mph today when this happened..

i didn't explain myself properly i guess.
the very first time (a month back) i noticed that i had issues with cruise control.. i thought maybe it's cuz i'm in 5th gear.
so i went into 3rd.. at 60mph (right in the middle of the power band) and set cruise control
i stomped it expecting the car to fly by to 100mph but it didn't..

today is the first time i got the wrench though.

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
happened to me a few times as well till i got it tuned away. its in the tune

G.T

Reaction score
i'll ask Doug about it then.. thanks guys :)

RedFury

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue with cruise control with my Whipple, but I'm not using the Whipple tune. I think what is happening is that the PCM is not allowing the throttle to open far enough to close the bypass valve, so you never get any boost while in cruise control (you get a taste of the N/A days, lol). My cruise still works fine (holds speed, and I didn't notice a lean condition) so I'm not going to do anything about it. But then I never got a CEL light yet either.

G.T

Reaction score
thanks guys.
i'll take this up with Doug and see if he can do anything about it.

URSOSLO

Reaction score
Happened to me on the way home from the track the other night. I will have to find out about getting the tune fixed.

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
Old tread I know but anyone have a solution or idea for me? Didn't want to start a new thread but this is all I could find with a few searches...

06' GT auto stock with whipple ho kit with whipple tune

I installed a whipple HO kit a few weeks ago and everything has been fine driving around town back and forth to work, last weekend we went for a cruise and it was running great playing in the canyons for an hour or so but then jumped on the freeway to head home set cruise control and after about 5 minutes on the freeway we came to a slight hill and started losing speed...I noticed I wasn't building boost... I tapped the brake to get out of cruise control and put my foot in it and no boost? I couldn't get off or safely pull over so I slowed down and putted along in the slow lane for a few miles till I was able to get off the freeway but then all the sudden exiting the freeway I'm getting boost and things are fine so I drove home and everything was fine but I drove side streets home so I didn't use cruise control again. Got home popped the hood nothing looks wrong...

Drove all week around town and back and forth to work no problems figured last week was just a fluke... last night I jumped on the freeway to head to a car show and set cruise control and again within 5 mins same problem with no boost... Wtf! I get off right away pop the hood nothing looks wrong so I shut it down fire it up and take off and everything is fine... the rest of the way I did not use cruise control and everything was fine. Scratching my head now... after the show I hit the freeway this time drove 30 miles home and did not use cruise control and had no problems...

I've narrowed it down to cruise control and the whipple not playing nice with each other but why? I've double checked all connections and everything under the hood looks good... after reading this I see mentioned to reload the tune but I had to send whipple my pcm so they could flash it...don't have a tuner for it... disconnect battery work? I'm going to call whipple on Monday but till then HELP! Lol

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I was having a similar issue as the others 2 years ago.
in 6th gear cruise control, give it some throttle sounded like detonation lack of power.
Lito was trying to tune it out.
I changed vacuum locations, low vacuum bypass actuator.
I still believe it was in the tune.
I think he was on track, I believe he was saying something about the adaptive learning getting some bad habits.

Got tired of it, didn't even drive the car last year.

Maybe the adaptive learning of the car are the problem.

94_cobra

forum member
Reaction score
My kb did the same thing! Mine wouldn't restart while coasting thought I had to stop before it would fire up

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've had a Whipple HO for a few years and it is tuned by lito and I have never had any issues with cruise control. I can whole heartedly recommend him for tuning your Whippled Mustang!

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
I've had a Whipple HO for a few years and it is tuned by lito and I have never had any issues with cruise control. I can whole heartedly recommend him for tuning your Whippled Mustang!

Stock block and internals?

Did you run the whipple tune? If so how different was litos tune? Drivability or HP better? My only complaint so far is the cruise control...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back