MT ET street R series tire pressure

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone running the new 305/45/17 MT ET Street R series DR's? What seems to be the happy pressure you are running with your setup? Thanks.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't have the R series but my 305/45/18 DR II's like 32# for daily use. I run 20# at the track but my car weighs 4000 lbs with me in it.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I ran the 295/45/17 DR II's until I picked these up. I Ran 18 street 15 track, but that was mainly because I was getting setup advise from guys cutting 1.4x and lower 60's on 15" bias ply slicks. I was advised to run up near 20 but never tried it. I contacted Mickey Thompson for setup on these after I got no real life 411 here, and they told me to start at 16 with my setup and add pressure as needed but not to go over 20psi for track. I drive to the track on them with 18 in them. I have my street rears for everyday street driving.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
16.5 pre burnout.

I have spent countless time dialing the same size R Radials in, on mine and customers cars....and I am firm that is the best pressure at the track.

1.28 - 1.29 sixties like clockwork.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I have found 17-18psi (cold pressure setting before driving or making a pass) works best for my track which thinks prep is a guy wearing Izod shirts in the early 80's. BMR swears by 16.5psi.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Nope, sorry. Darkstar direct drill 17x9.5 wheel. The 305/45/17's (28"x11.5" radial) fit fine on a 1.5" drop BMR drag spring on the rear. No need for relocation brackets either. Fits fine over standard rear brakes and the larger rear brakes they put on the 15+ now. I have a friend running the same size 17x9.5 in gray on the back of his car at the track with a pair of the same ET Street R's with no clearance issues either and he is slammed.
And I drive on mine to and from the track 20 miles each way or there about. No rubbing at any time.

Last edited:

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Nope, sorry. Darkstar direct drill 17x9.5 wheel. The 305/45/17's (28"x11.5" radial) fit fine on a 1.5" drop BMR drag spring on the rear. No need for relocation brackets either. Fits fine over standard rear brakes and the larger rear brakes they put on the 15+ now. I have a friend running the same size 17x9.5 in gray on the back of his car at the track with a pair of the same ET Street R's with no clearance issues either and he is slammed.
And I drive on mine to and from the track 20 miles each way or there about. No rubbing at any time.

Thanks for the info! I've usually put 15's on my last cars, but the 14 GT500 has larger rear brakes that will not allow the use of 15's.

46addict

Reaction score
How long do these last on the street? I've read the pro radials (same compound as ET Street R) last a few thousand miles. Do these last any longer?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
How long do these last on the street? I've read the pro radials (same compound as ET Street R) last a few thousand miles. Do these last any longer?

I don't use mine except to drive to the track (swap at the house on Race day) and then drive about 20 miles. Otherwise I'm on street tires. They do have some tread on them whereas the pro radial MT 275 really has none to speak of. And while there is some tread so to speak they aren't at all happy in the least bit of water. They have another season or so left on them still.

Keep in mind the pro's while DOT are not street legal if that is a concern. I'm kicking thinking long and hard about going to a 15x8 and running the 275 pro radial or R series bias ply next season. The 17x9.5's may be hurting me a bit at my local track since it's seldom much more than poor street prep condition.

46addict

Reaction score
I figured you guys weren't using them as commuting tires. How many seasons are on your current tires if you wouldn't mind sharing? Would the 8" rim width be enough to support a 275?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm on the first season with this pair. According to MT website the 275/60/15 which is a 28" tire will run very comfortable on am 8" rim. MT specs the pro you are considering to fit 7.5-9.5 width rim. The 275/50/15 which is a 26" tire available in the R series radial as well as the 11.50x28 R series bias ply will all run on an 8" rim.

Some guys do run the R series as a street tire for sporting purposes if you know what I mean. Didn't know your intentions when you were speaking in miles vice seasons. Mine have easily another season on them and they have probably 40 passes on them and about 500 miles of driving as well.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php

46addict

Reaction score
Interesting. Thank you for the insight. I picked up a used set of radial pros and a pair of skinnies for less than the cost of one new drag radial. I'm hoping to get at least half a season out of them.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a reasonable deal. I am assuming that is rubber only and not rims included. I'll likely be selling my 17x9.5 dark star with R series 305/40/17 setup later this winter. I'm wanting to go to a 15x8 wheel so I can run a bias ply. The only bias ply option currently is a Hoosier slick which means playing pit crew at the track and hauling jacks and tires around in the back seat of the car. MT just released the R series in several bias options late last season, but nothing in a 28x17 wheel other than the radial. If they release a 28x17 bias ply R series DOT I may reconsider and go that route.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Keep in mind the pro's while DOT are not street legal if that is a concern.

???

If they are DOT they should be street legal. I know MT says not to use them as a "Street Tire" or something similar.

46addict

Reaction score
Sounds like a reasonable deal. I am assuming that is rubber only and not rims included. I'll likely be selling my 17x9.5 dark star with R series 305/40/17 setup later this winter. I'm wanting to go to a 15x8 wheel so I can run a bias ply. The only bias ply option currently is a Hoosier slick which means playing pit crew at the track and hauling jacks and tires around in the back seat of the car. MT just released the R series in several bias options late last season, but nothing in a 28x17 wheel other than the radial. If they release a 28x17 bias ply R series DOT I may reconsider and go that route.
I would be interested in that if my tires weren't 15". And yes it was for tires only. I will get wheels as funds allow.

???

If they are DOT they should be street legal. I know MT says not to use them as a "Street Tire" or something similar.

The language here is confusing. There is a warning on the sidewall that mentions "For drag racing only. Not for highway use" so if I were pulled over going to/from the track I could possibly get cited? But the tires are listed under the DOT product line in MTs website.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back