Best approach to shipping medium to large auto parts 05 and up

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I live in a semi rural area of Carroll County MD (zip 21776). Based on the ridiculous prices for shipping at one of those UPS chains in shopping centers, I've pretty much given up on shipping and focused on local sales, but that isn't going anywhere. I have mufflers, x pipes, suspension parts, even a NIB Cervini MI hood with scoop and hood pins. Collecting dust.

What are experiences setting up accounts with UPS or FedX or even freight companies (there are NONE I can find of the latter near by, by the way)? Will they pick up your box at the residence or is it drop off only? I've gotta move this hardware!

Thanks.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
i hear greyhound is the go to for big stuff

fenders, hoods, etc

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
I've had good experience using Fedex for all my big item sales. You can open an account with them for free on their online site and they typically give you online discounted rates.

I'm not sure if they will pick up from your location, I always just print off the label and drop it off (no need to wait in line). Shipping for heavy items varies depending on location but it usually falls between ($25-$45).

You could easily sell everything on your list for a reasonably shipped price. Although, I would consider breaking down/cutting the x-pipe to cut shipping costs. The larger the overall sizing dimension the more expensive it will be.

The hood is probably one of those things I would never try to ship as it can easily be damaged in the shipping process despite proper packaging by the shipper. Not worth it.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I try to just do local pickup via Facebook Mustang classifieds or Craigslist.

That's all I can do now is local (I JUST got a sale going, pending), but the inventory is moving slow. I had a 10x10 storage unit with fox body parts that was sold in two lots in two hours after advertising, and a shed full of the 80s 302 short blocks, heads that went fast. But the 2005-09 S197 parts horde isn't moving. Even all my 2011+ stuff sold in one week. Crazy...

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I have been shipping high end (and heavy) audio gear for a few years now, and the best way to go about it is to negotiate splitting freight cost with the buyer. They have to understand shipping isn't free, and if they want the deal, they have to help with shipping. I would also suggest having the shipping company pack, or check your packing, so there are no questions if damages are incurred.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I've shipped multiple bumpers and car seats using greyhound.

Just like any other shipping company it's all about how well you pack.

But never had any issues. Some destinations even offer door to door service. Meaning they will pick up and load it to the bus and once it arrives someone else will pick up and deliver the item to the person.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Usps parcel post is going to be the cheapest for parts you can box up(mufflers, suspension, etc.). If you open a usps click and ship account, you save a few bucks buying the postage online, and you can schedule a pick up online.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
We use a company called Allstates world cargo and ship out all of our shipments that way. They will pickup wherever you tell them to and deliver wherever you tell them to. Pretty good service and some good rates. If you want me to, I can get over some quotes for you if you are interested. I think their minimum is like $210 since they are a freight forwarding company who we use, although they are a notch above all others in that category.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think at the end of the day I am just going to load up a U-Haul and take my basement load to an automotive swap meet within a days drive....

sent from my cell phone...

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What 05-09 Stuff do you have? I'm in howard county

I guess we'll have to do this via PM as I'm not ready to take pictures of everything plus local pickup only, but here's what I have:

**2005-2010**
Corsa Xtreme Axleback Exhaust (05-10 GT; 07-10 GT500 )$400. Brand new, a bit loud with offroad h pipe and long tubes for this old man.

American Muscle 18x9 Bullitt Wheels (deep dish) Black shod with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. ~500 miles on set. cost $1350 new, sell for $750. This is a great winter tire/wheel set. I used these November through December, all highway miles only.

Metco Driveshaft Loop: $50

FRPP Stingers: rough looking as they were under drag cars, but a little polish and they'll be fine. $200.
Pypes X pipe: this is for use with long tube headers only $100.

Stock intake manifold off a 2005 Mustang GT. Has butterfly assembly. $50.

Package only: Speed of Sound 2 pod pillar replacement in interior gray (used), Raptor shift light with mount for pillar pod (NEW), and Aeroforce Interceptor Dual gauge kit for OBDII interface (NEW) $450 for set, not open to parting out.

Stock struts from a 2005 Mustang GT: $25

Ford Racing K Springs, about 30k on them: $100

BMR Control Arm relocation kit, brand NEW in box: $75

BMR Xtreme Antiroll Bar: $200 (not yet for sale, pending offer)

Hurst Shifter, 1st gen: $50

OEM Shifter: $25

Steeda swaybar delete radiator brace: $75

NEW Cervini M1 Hood kit with hood scoop and front bumper extensions and flush hood pins: $600, this is nearly half price for a brand new hood!!!

Corbeau 2" 4pt harness $50

Corbeau Harness bar (needs the extended bolts for stock seat belt top mount) $125

ARP wheel studs. $100 set of 4 packages.

**For 2011-2014 Mustang GT**
Ford Racing GT500 muffler: $150
C&L Cold air kit: $150

**For SN95**
Ford Racing trans cooler part# M-7095-SR: $75
Spark Plug wire kit, red: $25

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back