AC out - very weird

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
2013 Mustang GT - 40,3xx miles

Yesterday I went to start the car, and I didn't quite get the clutch all the way in on the start. Started it a second time, and thought nothing of it.

AC does not work now. Fan and heat both work on all speeds. Lights that let you know if you have the rear defrost or vents/leg area on do not work. I am guessing I blew a fuse more than likely. Any guesses on why this happened, coincidence or did I cause it? Easy fix?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
A/C problems are unfortunately quite common on these '11+ cars, and it seems it's always right after the warranty's over.
Dealership will probably say you need a new compressor, well over $1k total
Something you can do yourself though, just need a shop to suck out the freon in the system then recharge it after you're done.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
Took it to the dealer but they are pretty booked up today and most of the week. Will be taking it in next Monday. Service guy thinks it might be something electrical related vs the actual AC unit because of the lights being out. Figures that this happens when we are in a hot streak of 90° temps.

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
A/C problems are unfortunately quite common on these '11+ cars, and it seems it's always right after the warranty's over.
Dealership will probably say you need a new compressor, well over $1k total
Something you can do yourself though, just need a shop to suck out the freon in the system then recharge it after you're done.

its not freon, its R134a

if there is an internal failure in the compressor, you have to replace quite a few other parts as well (drier, condenser, any lines with mufflers)

TenSpeed

Reaction score
It's going in to the dealer early Monday morning. They were pretty booked up this past week. Need that dang airbag recall done as well.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
Car is at the shop currently waiting on a part - should be in today. Some sort of master HVAC control. They are also replacing a leaking rear main seal.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
Update:

Car was finished earlier today. Total was $408. I misheard the service writer. It was about $275 in parts, the rest labor. They did the airbag recall for me since it was there. They also replaced a leaking rear main seal which was covered under the drivetrain warranty still.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back