What's the most painless way to remove tint from the rear glass?

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally did this today.

I started out with the steamer method...it was OK but I wasn't impressed. It did help the tint come off in big pieces but still left all the adhesive on the glass.

I had a few stubborn pieces toward the end that I used the ammonia/garbage bag method on, and that worked really well. Should have just done that for the whole window.

Also, to remove the adhesive, I had the best luck with ammonia in a spray bottle. I tried the lacquer thinner but I didn't want to spray it, and it was too hard to do just putting some on a rag or paper towel and wiping. Tried goo gone, it didn't even touch the stuff- I've been less than impressed with goo gone the last couple times I used it.

If you spray the ammonia on the glass though, the adhesive wipes right off.

Was a huge pain in the ass overall, spent 3 hours on it.

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Back when I was 16 my first car was a VW. The back window had a home tint job that was pretty bad. I spent a couple hours with a razor blade and a scouring sponge. Oh, and I had to work between the rear bars of a 4 point roll bar. That sucked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I found out I was thinking of the wrong product. I was thinking of a product called Pro-Sol. It is a solvent for painting cars. I have used it several times. I apologize. I wanted to make a correction. It works really well. Replace all my previous mentions of lacquer thinner with pro-sol (or solvent) and everything is the same.

I will be doing this myself in the next few weeks.

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
Good info on here, I was looking to remove my scratched up tint and having it re-done with mole skin in on the weather stripping.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back