Hawk HPS vs Powerstop Z26 vs Stoptech vs EBC pads

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I've searched google and here. I'm installing 11-14 gt non brembo rotors and brackets on my 2006 gt and my car is 99% DD and im just looking for a really nice firm or aggressive initial bite and good stopping power over the standard OEM pads and autozone pads. Im between Powerstop Z26 and Stoptech Pads. Whats best bang for my buck?

Thanks and all info is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
What's that other 1% of driving (that isn't DD) look like?

There's probably a suitable Carbotech pad - check their site for selection guidance. FWIW, even their lower-level XP track pads bite at least as well cold as Hawk's HPS. Cold meaning ambient temperatures at least as low as high 30°'s F. Their 1521's and AX6's should be even better (cold).

Norm

Last edited:

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
For 99% street duty the EBC Yellow pads work great! They will work for canyon carving and light Autocross, but will melt in one track day.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
Non-Brembo OEM brakes/pads on my 2014 GT are very, very good in each of the areas OP mentions, as well as autocross.

Looks like another Because-I-Can modification, to me.

mitch

HPDE Instructor
Reaction score
I"ve got a set of Hawk HP+ for stock calipers,
BNIB !!
I need $125. for them. split the shipping.

I used my previous set around town and for Track Days. With cooling, they held up just fine, no issues, and worked great. I'd buy them again, but never used the other ones mentioned.

Stephen31201

forum member
Reaction score
Ill probably catch a little slack from the track guys, but I do about 50-50% track/dd and I run stock 14" GT500 rotors and PFC-Z rated pads. They work fantastic and I got over 12 track days on my last set plus about 7,000 miles. I can dive about as deep as most and they don't eat the rotors up.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
I'm using the stoptech pads myself. Initial bite is fairly weak as has been pointed out (not really any different from the stock Track Pack pads, that I was able to see), but that may have an upside, namely that you can very finely control the amount of initial braking, which can be useful for making small rotation corrections.

MOT is about 1300 degrees, with a nice gradual falloff after that, so it's good for mild to medium tracking on street tires. You will get some fade with smooth rotors (e.g., the Centric ones, or the stock ones) even with brake cooling once you're pushing hard enough around the track, so if you're at the point where you're regularly getting fade and it bothers you, then you should be using a more track-oriented pad. An upside is that the rotors tend to last reasonably well with them, and I'd rather replace cheap pads than (more) expensive rotors, especially when rotor replacement is more involved.

For the OP, since he doesn't like the bite of his stock pads, the Stoptechs simply aren't going to do it for him.

Last edited:

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
Dude what in particular about the stock pads on your 12 is it that lets you get to the point of hate?

they are super soft. ok, so maybe it's because i was so used to the hp+ i had on my 07.
but the stock brakes were very soft. it was so soft that i took my car to the park and ride parking lot to do some braking tests. mind you, this is also with brand new tires, pzero nero all seasons. from what i remember when i did this, the braking distance was horrible. i couldn't convince myself that these were optimal pads to have on the heavy mustang. after changing to hp's i was much more comfortable with the amount of bite and stopping distance the pads gave me.
it might be personal preference, or something else, but in seattle, where drivers are very unpredictable, i want to be able to stop and decrease stopping distance in order to be safe.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
they are super soft. ok, so maybe it's because i was so used to the hp+ i had on my 07.
but the stock brakes were very soft. it was so soft that i took my car to the park and ride parking lot to do some braking tests. mind you, this is also with brand new tires, pzero nero all seasons. from what i remember when i did this, the braking distance was horrible. i couldn't convince myself that these were optimal pads to have on the heavy mustang. after changing to hp's i was much more comfortable with the amount of bite and stopping distance the pads gave me.
it might be personal preference, or something else, but in seattle, where drivers are very unpredictable, i want to be able to stop and decrease stopping distance in order to be safe.

therein lies the rub

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Alright thanks guys. Thanks for all the info, guess theres a lot more to pads than I thought. I'll look into all those brands you all put out and pick my poison. Anything should be better than my autozone pads lol.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
therein lies the rub

but there were definitive improvements over stock. i'm honestly not going to run tires with a 200 treadwear on a dd.... :/
it was more of a safety thing for me, to be honest. the stock brakes didn't have the confidence inspiring stopping power the hawk pads do.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I'm using the stoptech pads myself. Initial bite is fairly weak as has been pointed out (not really any different from the stock Track Pack pads, that I was able to see), but that may have an upside, namely that you can very finely control the amount of initial braking, which can be useful for making small rotation corrections.

MOT is about 1300 degrees, with a nice gradual falloff after that, so it's good for mild to medium tracking on street tires. You will get some fade with smooth rotors (e.g., the Centric ones, or the stock ones) even with brake cooling once you're pushing hard enough around the track, so if you're at the point where you're regularly getting fade and it bothers you, then you should be using a more track-oriented pad. An upside is that the rotors tend to last reasonably well with them, and I'd rather replace cheap pads than (more) expensive rotors, especially when rotor replacement is more involved.

For the OP, since he doesn't like the bite of his stock pads, the Stoptechs simply aren't going to do it for him.

So better than your normal autozone/OEM pad and I get some fade with my autozone pads when im out having fun. What kind of rotors do you recommend with them?

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Ill probably catch a little slack from the track guys, but I do about 50-50% track/dd and I run stock 14" GT500 rotors and PFC-Z rated pads. They work fantastic and I got over 12 track days on my last set plus about 7,000 miles. I can dive about as deep as most and they don't eat the rotors up.

Can you send me a link for these pads?
Found these but Seems cheaper than what I was expecting.
http://www.truckspring.com/products/Performance-Friction-Z-Rated-Brake-Pads__1081-prd-10.aspx

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back