Steeda's New S197 Jacking Rails - Now Available (Bolt-in Design)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj@steeda

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I decided to take a chance. My calibrated eyeball says there's a good chance it'll fit with the Boss exhaust. If not, some minor grinding will probably do the job.

We just sent the jacking rails out to our test fitter today ... we should have feedback shortly!

Or, you may beat him to the punch!

TJ

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I am with you, the Steeda ones are new and were not avialble when I did mine. I just wanted to make the point they will be perfect for jacking and supporting your car with stands.

Scott, are the BMR ones flush with the bottom of the car or do they hang down a bit?

I want a set of these things, not sure if I'll go with the BMR or the Steeda ones, I like the bolt-in design of the Steeda ones since I don't have a welder at the house

stpete

Reaction score
We just sent the jacking rails out to our test fitter today ... we should have feedback shortly!

Or, you may beat him to the punch!

TJ

Ha, we'll see. Sounds like mine won't ship until next week, must be popular.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Scott, are the BMR ones flush with the bottom of the car or do they hang down a bit?

I want a set of these things, not sure if I'll go with the BMR or the Steeda ones, I like the bolt-in design of the Steeda ones since I don't have a welder at the house

Gabe they are below the rocker panel but are pretty hard to see unless you are looking for them. Mine are back and you can just barley see them from the side.

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
I watched an install video by an older gentleman from the bayou... think I might buy some when it comes time for the summer

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Gabe they are below the rocker panel but are pretty hard to see unless you are looking for them. Mine are back and you can just barley see them from the side.

Cool thank you.

TJ, how do the Steeda ones fit? Do they hang down a bit? Any chance for a few installed pictures?
I'm leaning toward the Steeda ones like I said above because they bolt in.

stpete

Reaction score
Tracking says mine are coming today. I'll try to get them installed this weekend and shoot some pics. I do have the Boss exhaust, so I'm assuming that doesn't cause me too much trouble.

stpete

Reaction score
I picked the perfect day for an install, it's about 35 degrees with 20MPH wind. Once the sun came out I could stay out for more than a few minutes. Couldn't pull into the garage today, so it's in the driveway.

Here's the payoff for freezing my butt off today

IMG_20170204_135646634_HDR_zpsptwjrabf.jpg

Back to the start of the day. If you're lucky all you need is 18mm socket and 15mm socket. But, I also needed a breaker bar, small pry bar, a couple small blocks of wood, hammer, and a 10mmx1.5 tap.

IMG_20170204_103059084_HDR_zpsvgxvnrj3.jpg

IMG_20170204_103758908_HDR_zpsywfxum7v.jpg

On the drivers side I had more problems than the passenger. To get the thing to slide in on the drivers side I had to pry it down and slide it in from the side. There is a big plastic cover that gets in the way of it sliding in any other way. It took some effort, but I wound up being able to wedge my prybar in to get it done.

IMG_20170204_125013208_zpsbqvreg7i.jpg

The rear bolts fought me. Either Ford didn't actually thread these holes, or they were very corroded. The metal shavings coming out when I tapped it indicated that they were not threaded, but the passenger side had no such problems. Whatever the case, verify you can thread the bolts into the rear holes before you get the rail into place. It's a 10mmx1.5 tap if you need to chase the threads in the hole.

IMG_20170204_125055758_HDR_zpsvuoaes4q.jpg

On the drivers side, I had assumed I'd have to drop the Boss exhaust. But, the jack rail uses holes well forward of the exhaust. No problems there.

IMG_20170204_125025579_zpsoj2jmiwb.jpg

Here it is installed, you can see the back of the rail and can't even see the Boss exhaust behind it in this pic.

IMG_20170204_125846485_HDR_zps0nrycsml.jpg

You have to look under the car to see it. It sticks down about 1/4" lower than the pinch weld.

Last edited:

stpete

Reaction score
Overall these things are pretty good. They aren't very heavy. I didn't weigh them, but they didn't feel like they were even the 10lbs each as advertised. But, my arms aren't calibrated very well. They were very easy to push into place with one arm while holding the pry bar with the other.

I do wish they went further back to the holes that the exhaust is in. They only go back to about a foot shy of the rear of the door. But, I'll have a better idea of how I feel about that after I work on the car some more. I was picturing using two jack stands and having them both on the rail. But, the rear one is going to have to find another location.

I was concerned that the stock jack may not work. There's only about 1/4" behind the front slot where the stock jack goes. Rear is fine, they don't go that far back. But, it looks like the stock jack will work just fine on the jacking rail itself. I might put a small block of wood or some sort of piece of rubber in the trunk to avoid scratching the jacking rail with the stock jack in the event I ever have to use it.

Last edited:

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
thanks for documenting and sharing, I went with Kenny Brown's weld in years ago and would have preferred to go this route and do it my self (since i can't weld)

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
My jacking rails arrived. Appear to be well made with a nice powder coat finish.

BONUS FOR CONVERTIBLE OWNERS.....
The rear mounting location uses the same holes as front of the OEM rear chassis brace. So the jacking rails tie the front K member to the rear OEM chassis brace. Just like subframe connectors.

Last edited:

stpete

Reaction score
thanks for documenting and sharing, I went with Kenny Brown's weld in years ago and would have preferred to go this route and do it my self (since i can't weld)

These things came out just in time for me. I was already hitting up my welding buddies to see how quickly I could make it happen when I saw these.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
These things came out just in time for me. I was already hitting up my welding buddies to see how quickly I could make it happen when I saw these.

Good timing. On a side note I put in the steeda rear chasissi x brace and have been happy.

ZGrand

forum member
Reaction score
I used the same method as stpete above to install my jacking rails a couple of weeks ago. Mine is a convertible, so the rear holes were no problem since that's where the rear aux. brace installs. I just had to slide the jacking rails under the rear brace and re-install the existing bolts. I too used a pry bar to get the rails under the front brace. Took me about an hour.

Uncle Buck

forum member
Reaction score
Mine arrived last week but haven't had the motivation to install yet. They do seem shorter than I had hoped. It would be nice to be able to set the car on 4 stands on the rails.

The instructions show that you can but the rear stand sure looks a long way forward. Anyone try this yet? Does the car feel good and stable?

IMG_0778.png

silverhorseGT06

forum member
Reaction score
I just installed CDC side splitters, which do not have a cutout for the pinch weld jack points. was going to cut the area's out underneath, but feeling like I'd like to have these better (one of my pinch welds is already a little bit mangled).

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just installed CDC side splitters, which do not have a cutout for the pinch weld jack points. was going to cut the area's out underneath, but feeling like I'd like to have these better (one of my pinch welds is already a little bit mangled).

Not to hi-jack this thread but Dan by any chance did you take any pictures of your CDC side splitters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back