Setup Questions/Quick Intro

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that all shocks these days have some digression built into them - else they'd either be floppy-soft under normal driving conditions on decent roads or unbearably harsh over poor roads.

It probably matters how much digression and where it kicks in - how much the curves flatten out, where that starts to happen, and the sharpness of the transition. There are other effects that these plots don't show, hysteresis being one.

picture.php

picture.php

Norm

Last edited:

stevbd

forum member
Reaction score
Norm, these are very interesting graphs and thanks for posting. A couple things stand out to me. First, it is noticeable how the Konis are much more linear, especially on rebound. Second, I'm amazed how the rear Bilstein and OE Brembo dampers are nearly identical. My definite subjective experience has been that the Bilsteins have far more damping control, and I don't think that's confirmation bias, but that doesn't seem to be supported by these graphs. Very interesting....

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I think the sensation of rebound damping control lies in the range below 3 in/sec - you wouldn't feel it as such when the wheel falls into a fairly large pothole or off the high side of concrete expansion joints that are mismatched in either height or slope. Looks like 20% or so more rebound damping with the Bilsteins, which I think you could feel.

Actual shock damping is subject to production tolerances and there's no way of knowing where any of those curves fall with respect to their respective design intentions. IOW, those charts are more of a rough idea than guaranteed performance.

Norm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back