NA mods and FI?

Phil1098

Reaction score
So I am considering FI (like everyone eventually does) and I have already done the typical NA stuff. Will my FRPP Hot Rod cams and the LT headers with O/R H work with FI? I am considering a Roush Phase 1 TVS 2.3 system. I know the UD pulley setup has to go, but what about the cams and headers. I also know the mail in Roush tune is out the window and would need a Lito or Lund tune.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the cams are not ideal for FI, the long tubes make a good pair with FI, the tuner will make the difference.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There was a dyno test somebody did awhile back...they had an Aluminator crate engine which comes with Hot Rods, and they had put a supercharger on it. They dyno'ed the engine, then swapped in some blower cams. The Hot Rods made more peak power but they said part throttle/low boost driveability on the Hot Rods was not the best.

I dunno really, on my old Turbo Coupe I was running a Ford Motorsport A237 cam which is a lumpy, high overlap cam intended for n/a. When you were in boost above 3000 RPM, that thing absolutely screamed with that cam in there.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
From what I have been reading about them, I would urge you to consider D.O.B. for Fi needs with a 3V. Those guys do a lot of articles and R/D. Prices seem to be reasonable as well. I would consider DOB if I were to find myself with a 3V again. IMHO opinion and personal experience a lot of the Roush price is for the name.

One thing is for certain. If you end up doing it, you never forget the first time you got blown...LOL!

46addict

Reaction score
There are guys making 500+whp on mild boost with the hot rod cams, but realize that you will be bleeding some boost due to the overlap. For a max effort build you will want to match the cams to the blower, but for mild street hot rods won't hurt. I would be looking at replacing valve springs as the stock ones aren't designed for the extra pressure.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Get a lito tune and save your money on everything else, it will be great.

Phil1098

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, putting in the cams wasn't difficult in the least and I still have my stockers to put back in, I was just being lazy. If I switch the cams out I can sell the Hot Rods and put that money towards the FI. Not even remotely trying to build King Kong, with stock internals I'm not even sure the Phase 1 with a 2.3 is safe. Nobody seems to put M90 on anymore, but that would probably be fine.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The Hot Rod cams were designed for peak power, they probably aren't the turbo cams, Ford was thinking blower or N/A.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I was told that it depends on the type of blower. ProCharger or Vortech belt driven blower would best use a NA cam profile. Roots type blower needs "Blower cams". If you go with the Roush TVS then you should probably change the cams.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Lito tuned my car and it hasn't got cams at all, be not afraid, revv it to 7000!

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
I have Comp 127400 cams in the NA car and per Lito they would work awesome in the Paxton car. Hot Rods would probably be ok in a centri application but not ideal with a PD blower. However since you have a stock bottom end, I don't really think it matters because you can always pulley down for the lost boost and not hit any limits with the blower itself.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have Comp 127400 cams in the NA car and per Lito they would work awesome in the Paxton car. Hot Rods would probably down ok in a centri application but not ideal with a PD blower. However since you have a stock bottom end, I don't really think it matters because you can always pulley down for the lost boost and not hit any limits with the blower itself.

I've ran 127400 cams n/a and boosted. They are awesome for both applications.

Like you pointed out it won't matter on a stock block. There is still plenty of power to pop the motor no matter what cams are used.

FWIW a friend of mine made over 560rwhp with a stock 3v, Hot Rods, and a Procharger D1.

I like Hot Rod cams but I don't think like everyone else.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I've ran 127400 cams n/a and boosted. They are awesome for both applications.

Like you pointed out it won't matter on a stock block. There is still plenty of power to pop the motor no matter what cams are used.

FWIW a friend of mine made over 560rwhp with a stock 3v, Hot Rods, and a Procharger D1.

I like Hot Rod cams but I don't think like everyone else.

I have Hot Rod Cams with my Paxton SC and really like them and am happy with the setup

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i have hot rod cams in my car.
use a first design ford racing TVS 2300 with DOB intake.
have 20lbs boost and make 650 RWHP on wisconsin pump 93 reformulated, 10% alcohol, pump gas.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I've driven blown cars with Hot Rod's that sucked, and ones that were great. My impression is it's all in the tune/tuner. Have Lito do it and it will run great.

The Hot Rod's don't seem to have the "diesel truck" torque that the stock cams do though. I'm 50/50 on Hot Rods for 450hp PD blown cars. I love the idle. And they "rip" (sound and feel) more than the stock cams. But they're a tad soft down low compared to the stock cams, which are literally truck cams. So it makes sense. That being said I wouldn't pull Hot Rods out if they were already in.

How about a GT450 kit Phil? If you're only looking for 450hp the GT450 with a M122 is perfect all things considered. If in the future you want more power you swap a 2.3L TVS on and go bonkers. You can always sell the M122 for damn near what you have in it if you do. It's effectively a no lose situation.

And they're currently on sale........

MilehighGS

Reaction score
I picked up a set of HR cams brand new in the box to install on my DOB boosted '07. I have the smallest pulley DOB has to offer pushing 11psi. After reading and asking a couple people, I'm on the fence installing these. I love the idle, but don't want to lose any power either. Lito is my tuner. I'm tempted to start swapping the cams tomorrow. Any more feedback from DOB owners with the M122 blower with HR cams? Or sell these cams and buy a set of pistons for my forged bottom end project?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
I picked up a set of HR cams brand new in the box to install on my DOB boosted '07. I have the smallest pulley DOB has to offer pushing 11psi. After reading and asking a couple people, I'm on the fence installing these. I love the idle, but don't want to lose any power either. Lito is my tuner. I'm tempted to start swapping the cams tomorrow. Any more feedback from DOB owners with the M122 blower with HR cams? Or sell these cams and buy a set of pistons for my forged bottom end project?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

There are blower cams that sound similar to hotrods. Detroit Rocker blower grind and the Comp 127550 come to mind. Both will make way more power than hotrods

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I have a lot of 3V customers that have all kinds of blower setups and still run HR cams on 400-500rwhp stock block cars. IMO the HR cams have a deeper lope than the Brenspeed Detroit Rockers or some of the comp 127xxx series. They may make some more power, but the ceiling is still there for stock 3V internals.

You could also look at the Mutha Thumprs

Phil1098

Reaction score
Not sure how different they are, before I bought my cams I talked to Brenspeed and they told me to buy the blower cams whether or not I ever went to FI. Said they worked fine NA or FI?????

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back