4.63v tick

teeje

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm not too terribly worried about this as I have a warranty and it's going in on Tuesday but I have a tick it's rpm dependent it does it at idle and when driving but only when at normal operating temp. Took it to the shop today and the guy told me to put in Lucas oil treatment which I did and on top of that yesterday I changed the oil to royal purple 5w20 synthetic and tick was still present. Sometimes when driving the tick will go away and come back on the highway and city driving. Just curious as to what this could be. Possibly the cam phaser or solenoid or a lifter or rocker?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
Stay away for anyone who tells you to put anything in your oil except oil. Especially to try and fix a noise.

A video would help.

teeje

Reaction score
Stay away for anyone who tells you to put anything in your oil except oil. Especially to try and fix a noise.

A video would help.
It is oil. Just a tad bit thicker. I'll post a video shortly

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
Which side of the engine? Is it predominant when the engine is under load? Have you cut out cylinders to see if it goes away? How many miles? Does it have aftermarket headers?
Likely a phaser, possibly an exhaust leak, Maybe a wrist pin. Without a video I don't think you'll get any real conclusive information. Diagnosing a tick on the Internet is difficult. It's unlikely to be a lifter/rocker

teeje

Reaction score
Which side of the engine? Is it predominant when the engine is under load? Have you cut out cylinders to see if it goes away? How many miles? Does it have aftermarket headers?
Likely a phaser, possibly an exhaust leak, Maybe a wrist pin. Without a video I don't think you'll get any real conclusive information. Diagnosing a tick on the Internet is difficult. It's unlikely to be a lifter/rocker
I'll post a video soon. Passenger side head. Very heard to tell where it's coming from
Definitely not an exhaust leak. It's more of a metallic noise. Stock headers no mufflers straight piped stock cats
110000 miles bought it with 99,000
And doesn't matter if it's under load or not but won't make itself present unless you put any load on it if that makes any sense

Last edited:

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
Turn off one cylinder at a time by unplugging the injector and coil. See if this has any affect. Further try driving up a hill while maintaining a constant low RPM in a high gear to see what affect this has on the noise. Also just for shits check the idler pulleys and tensioner. Further 5w-30 weighted oil is ideal the 5-20 factory recommendation was due to EPA regulations and stick with royal purple

teeje

Reaction score
Turn off one cylinder at a time by unplugging the injector and coil. See if this has any affect. Further try driving up a hill while maintaining a constant low RPM in a high gear to see what affect this has on the noise. Also just for shits check the idler pulleys and tensioner. Further 5w-30 weighted oil is ideal the 5-20 factory recommendation was due to EPA regulations and stick with royal purple
It went away on the highway but went up hill in 5th gear and started ticking

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
The fact that this only occurs when the engine is warm indicates the rockers and lifters are fine, as it would be noticable at start up when the valve train is less lubercated. You cannot rule out an exhaust leak by the sound, this is often miss diagnosed. The sound will vary with the size of the leak and the location of the leak. It can also be intermittent depending on engine speed and load levels as these affect the volocity of exhaust gas.
- is the tick fast or slow? Obviously this will be in relation to engine speed but give your best estimate
Given the milage and inconsistent nature of the issue I'd put my money on a bad phaser which only reveals itself at certain cam angels. But then again it runs fine so it could still be a wrist pin.
-most importantly with that high of milage and wear your crazy to still be running 5w20. Post that video dude

teeje

Reaction score
The fact that this only occurs when the engine is warm indicates the rockers and lifters are fine, as it would be noticable at start up when the valve train is less lubercated. You cannot rule out an exhaust leak by the sound, this is often miss diagnosed. The sound will vary with the size of the leak and the location of the leak. It can also be intermittent depending on engine speed and load levels as these affect the volocity of exhaust gas.
- is the tick fast or slow? Obviously this will be in relation to engine speed but give your best estimate
Given the milage and inconsistent nature of the issue I'd put my money on a bad phaser which only reveals itself at certain cam angels. But then again it runs fine so it could still be a wrist pin.
-most importantly with that high of milage and wear your crazy to still be running 5w20. Post that video dude
Picking it up now. Had to get the brother in laws impala to my garage. Needs a power steering pump for the fourth time. Habe a 20 minute drive so that should produce the tick and I'll post the video

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a powerstroke lol replace your phasers.... I just so happen to have have a set of freedom racing ones with the bolts and valve cover gaskets and timing wedge I'd be willing to let go cheep. Only after market phaser known to be better than OEM

Attachments

• 20170617_180618.jpg
    20170617_180618.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 10

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
They are Precision Auto CNC AM-3R2Z-6A257-DA sold by freedom racing **

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
250 plus shipping for the new phasers, tty bolts, gaskets and a used timing wedge

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
My stock motor had a tick that I never could figure out. It could be heard in the cabin but was faint. Sounded like it was coming from the passenger side.

I think it was noisy injectors but I'll never know. It could of been phaser related. Keep in mind that the phaser solenoids have screens that can become clogged over time and cause issues.

teeje

Reaction score
Wasn't phasers. Shop looked at it, so far cam bearing and cam damage. They're going to tear down the rest of the engine to see if it did any other damage before they fix it

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Wasn't phasers. Shop looked at it, so far cam bearing and cam damage. They're going to tear down the rest of the engine to see if it did any other damage before they fix it

What is your operating oil pressure? Cam damage is typically a lack of lubrication as they are the last parts of the engine to be oiled.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back