Shop quoted $1200 to replace front control arms and tie rods

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fredneck is $150 an hour?!?! When I was in high school in Damascus was $24 per hour. Shit I'm getting old!

Depends on the dealer.

Honestly, control arms aren't that difficult, especially if you're just replacing them (as opposed to changing bushings). If you can do it yourself, the only labor you'll have to pay for is an alignment!

While you have it off, you should replace the hubs (you can buy a knuckle as a complete assembly to avoid messing with bearings) and pads/rotors (since you have to remove them anyway).

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
OP, I also vote for doing it yourself. You'd be surprised what good instruction you can find online, and the feeling of satisfaction when you do it yourself is awesome. This job really shouldn't be that difficult, if you have a good set of sockets and wrenches, a jack, and jack stands. And if you don't then it gives you a good excuse to go spend money on some new tools! :biggrin:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can take what you expect to pay for labor and buy tools that you can use again. I have several tools I bought in this exact kind of deal for doing work around the house.

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
OP, I also vote for doing it yourself. You'd be surprised what good instruction you can find online, and the feeling of satisfaction when you do it yourself is awesome. This job really shouldn't be that difficult, if you have a good set of sockets and wrenches, a jack, and jack stands. And if you don't then it gives you a good excuse to go spend money on some new tools! :biggrin:

I don't have a jack or jack stands. I'm a little intimidated to do this myself as I have no experience doing it.

I will be doing the the spark plugs myself though (discussed here http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131857)

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd tackle this before the plugs myself.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

That is about 85K just in Boxes alone.

No doubt. I bought a pair of snap-on side cutters about 20 years ago for I think $28 back then. Use them at least a couple times a month. Still like new. Still warrantied. If you make a living with tools, it's worth it. I just wreck my own shit, but I do it with good tools.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I'd be more intimidated doing spark plugs than control arms. Lol! Like others have said, check out Youtube. It could be a little time consuming, but you gain some experience. At one point, none of us knew how to do shit to these cars.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
My box is not that big. I have about 125K invested in everything including Scanners and Lab Scopes, etc. That is sitting in my garage at home collecting dust know. Don't need them here at the dealership. They get used for working on my own toy.

Attachments

• IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 4

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They get used for working on my own toy.

'85-'86 Mustang GT. Probably my number 1 favorite fox body. Yeah I just bought a '93 GT, but '85-'86....... my favorite.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
'85-'86 Mustang GT. Probably my number 1 favorite fox body. Yeah I just bought a '93 GT, but '85-'86....... my favorite.

86. Has a 351 Windsor, Edelbrock Victor Junior Heads and Intake. Full Griggs Road race Suspension including Torque Arm and Panhard Bar

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
86. Has a 351 Windsor, Edelbrock Victor Junior Heads and Intake. Full Griggs Road race Suspension including Torque Arm and Panhard Bar

I figured as much from your screen name.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back