Piston brands

MilehighGS

Reaction score
Currently have an M122 on my DOB kit. I have a TVS sitting in the bench, but slowly building a forged bottom end.
Already have a spare 07 block, Manley rods, forged cobra crank with ARP studs. I'd like to ultimately make 700hp on pump gas.
Looking for piston recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Gibtec seems to becoming more popular with the modular guys as well.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Last edited:

MilehighGS

Reaction score
Emailed Gibtech since they are here in CO for cost on a set, but keeping the brands mentioned in mind.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Most are good imo. I'm fond of Mahle 4032 pistons. Currently running Diamond. Wiseco and CP are also very good imo.

I've used all of the ones listed. I'd start looking at ebay for deals. Although I've never used Manley I certainly would consider them. IMO everything Manley makes is good and like Wiesco and Mahle they come with a skirt coating.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Whatever pistons (allegedly Manley) are in my motor, they are a bit noisy on cold starts. Otherwise any of the big name manufactures will make a good product. Just make sure they have the 3v relief pattern.

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
Not to highjack the thread but, what type of rings do you guys run for a reliable (600 hp) street car?

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i run coated diamond pistons in my 08 mustang with a DOB intake and a ford racing TVS 2.3 with 20lbs boost and make 650 rwhp on pump 93 octane gas.
650 rwhp is about the max you can get out of a TVS blower on a 3V motor. unless you want to over spin the blower, add more compression, add lots of timing or other non street friendly things like that.

i don't remember what rings my friend used for my build.

MilehighGS

Reaction score
i run coated diamond pistons in my 08 mustang with a DOB intake and a ford racing TVS 2.3 with 20lbs boost and make 650 rwhp on pump 93 octane gas.
650 rwhp is about the max you can get out of a TVS blower on a 3V motor. unless you want to over spin the blower, add more compression, add lots of timing or other non street friendly things like that.

i don't remember what rings my friend used for my build.
What other engine mods are you currently running?
I have yet to hear back from Gibtec. I still have some time before I start assembling things.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Whatever pistons (allegedly Manley) are in my motor, they are a bit noisy on cold starts. Otherwise any of the big name manufactures will make a good product. Just make sure they have the 3v relief pattern.

It sounds like a combination of the 2618 alloy expanding along with maybe too large of a ptb? Sometimes it's hard to convince a machine shop to set the ptb where it needs to be with a 4.6. The bore is smaller than most of the motors they are used to dealing with so they think in terms of a larger bore. Add in the reduced requirements of a skirt coated piston and it could add up to some piston slap until the 2618 pistons warm up and expand.

Not to highjack the thread but, what type of rings do you guys run for a reliable (600 hp) street car?

I've always gone with moly. Never stainless steel. Even up to 699rwhp (the most I've pushed a mod motor to).

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I run Manley 2618 pistons with .003 ptb and have never had an issue with a piston that was not fuel related. I also run SS Total Seal/ Manley rings.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
What other engine mods are you currently running?
I have yet to hear back from Gibtec. I still have some time before I start assembling things.

i run a 10% IW overdrive dampener. smallest pulley DOB makes 2.65 maybe, detroit rocker cams, AR long tubes, off road X pipe with bullitt mufflers, 72mm L&M throttle body, 123mm CAI, AFCO 3X pass intercooler with fans, GT500 fuel pumps with BAP, evolution GT500 fuel rails and not sure what size injectors i think 72lb. FRPP stage 1 ported heads also run 10 to 1 compression with .020 over pistons in a 04 mach 1 block with forged cobra crank.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I run Manley 2618 pistons with .003 ptb and have never had an issue with a piston that was not fuel related. I also run SS Total Seal/ Manley rings.

That is where the Diamond 2618 pistons in my Big Bore are set to. No noise on start up.

Have you ever had an issue with the ss rings? I've known more than one person who has had issues with sealing. I've always wrote it off to an improper hone combined with too much ptb and not being aggressive enough during initial break in. But, it was enough to convince me to stay with moly rings for my mostly street motors.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I ran stainless rings in my BB/S. I was told they needed a hard break in so that's what I did. I was running gapless rings and they seemed to seal a little too well. My next go round I'll be using standard moly rings.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
It sounds like a combination of the 2618 alloy expanding along with maybe too large of a ptb? Sometimes it's hard to convince a machine shop to set the ptb where it needs to be with a 4.6. The bore is smaller than most of the motors they are used to dealing with so they think in terms of a larger bore. Add in the reduced requirements of a skirt coated piston and it could add up to some piston slap until the 2618 pistons warm up and expand.

I've always gone with moly. Never stainless steel. Even up to 699rwhp (the most I've pushed a mod motor to).

Mike at Auburn Auto Machine did the work, so who knows. I just reached out to them yesterday actually in hopes that they kept records of all the work. Confirmed they are Manley pistons with teflon skirts however. It's late and I'm drawing a blank...PTB meaning?

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
That is where the Diamond 2618 pistons in my Big Bore are set to. No noise on start up.

Have you ever had an issue with the ss rings? I've known more than one person who has had issues with sealing. I've always wrote it off to an improper hone combined with too much ptb and not being aggressive enough during initial break in. But, it was enough to convince me to stay with moly rings for my mostly street motors.

I have not had any issues. They just need to get broke in hard. I just get them under boost asap.

Mike at Auburn Auto Machine did the work, so who knows. I just reached out to them yesterday actually in hopes that they kept records of all the work. Confirmed they are Manley pistons with teflon skirts however. It's late and I'm drawing a blank...PTB meaning?
Piston to bore clearance.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
I have not had any issues. They just need to get broke in hard. I just get them under boost asap.

Piston to bore clearance.

Duh..thanks haha

And for what its worth, I didn't have any issues getting SS rings to seat in the L&M 5.4 they built for my dads car. I was making WOT pulls for tuning about 30 minutes run time after initial startup.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back