Thinking about attempting this with my 2012 GT Premium

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
Dude what's with your attitude? You said you want "low n slow" and the guy just gave you his opinion on whats best for you and all you wanna do is trying to argue with everybody here. WTF?

orangensaft

People think its yellow
Reaction score
First of all I do not believe your countless lap times. Your old setups were on what car? This one? Ignorant is the lack of knowledge. You are the ignorant one telling me that bags outperform shock spring or coilover setups. I've only bad mouthed you because you are giving me false information. Only an idiot would sit here and argue that bags are going to handle better than a decent shock spring combo. :popcorneat:

I don't really have any experience with airbag suspensions on mustangs, but from the looks of your previous vehicles and your drawn out story you don't either.

Maybe you would be better off just listening to the people that do have knowledge and experience about what you are trying to do instead of acting like you already know what your talking about.

You don't have to take their advice, it is your car after all, but you can't get into a pissing match with them when you don't even have any experience to back it up.

A 2012 Mustang is not a mid 90s Nissan 240.

Just sayin.

shark tales

Wiggle Wiggle Memeber
Reaction score
lol you had to have seen this coming. on an ol merica stang forum saying you want a slammed stang. ask me how i know. go coilovers and enjoy. i went that route and the car handles way better than stock regardless of how "slammed" it is. wheel fitment and stance is not seen on mustangs very much. i say you do what makes you happy and forget at all else.

Menes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
First of all I do not believe your countless lap times. Your old setups were on what car? This one? Ignorant is the lack of knowledge. You are the ignorant one telling me that bags outperform shock spring or coilover setups. I've only bad mouthed you because you are giving me false information. Only an idiot would sit here and argue that bags are going to handle better than a decent shock spring combo. :popcorneat:

Look I'm not gunna sit here and argue with you, its impossible to argue with an idiot anyways. Yes all the setups I'm referring to have been on my mustang. If there is any lack of knowledge its coming from you as I don't understand how someone who has never owned a mustang before or even a car with bags can argue on whats better or not.You don't know, and you wont know until you experience it yourself. Every car is different, and every suspension set up is different and for my car and for what its set up to do the bags are the best, period. In no way and I saying the only way to go are bags, frankly I really don't care what you choose to do with you car. I just saw a thread talking about drift set ups and thought I'd give my 2 cents as thats what a forum is all about.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in for the show. I was thinking about bags because I too want the slammed look but just can't deal with the speed bumps and steep approaches in my area. I'm going with a small drop for now (steeda sports) as I want to track the car and honestly I'm about as ignorant as you can get about a bagged set up. I asummed the.spring set up would be better as you don't see many real race cars with bags. Looking forward to the debate, with hopes that it might be more than just flaming.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score

Hey man don't be such a dick. You won't last long here with an attitude like this. Maybe you should go back to the ricer scene where I'm sure you fit in much better.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Look I'm not gunna sit here and argue with you, its impossible to argue with an idiot anyways. Yes all the setups I'm referring to have been on my mustang. If there is any lack of knowledge its coming from you as I don't understand how someone who has never owned a mustang before or even a car with bags can argue on whats better or not.You don't know, and you wont know until you experience it yourself. Every car is different, and every suspension set up is different and for my car and for what its set up to do the bags are the best, period. In no way and I saying the only way to go are bags, frankly I really don't care what you choose to do with you car. I just saw a thread talking about drift set ups and thought I'd give my 2 cents as thats what a forum is all about.

It's not an argument. It's a proven fact that airbag setups do not perform as well as a good spring strut combination or a coilover suspension setup. I'm not an idiot I'm just not ignorant. Thank you for you 2 cents but your biased towards the bags probably because someone has told you they were better or whatever. I don't care why you think they are better but I know for a FACT that airbags do not perform as well as coilovers. You want to bring a rebultle, bring proof. Not just "I've logged countless lap times on my setup..." That's not proof, it's word of mouth which doesn't stand up.

Hey man don't be such a dick. You won't last long here with an attitude like this. Maybe you should go back to the ricer scene where I'm sure you fit in much better.

I won't last long here? Why is that? I like this forum, it has a lot of good informative threads although lately I'm starting to see that some of the populations is heavily biased towards giving opinionated statements. You can call me a ricer all you want after all you're just hiding behind the internet.:la:

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Since you all want to argue so much I'm going to lay out my case as to why air suspension doesn't compare to coilover or shock/strut combos.

With airbags the intention is to be able to have a low car that can be raised up for functionality. The use of compressed air is what allows these systems to function.

To have an airbag suspension setup you're going to need a compressor, a tank, added controls for the bags, as well as the hoses. All of that adds a lot of extra weight.

When you alter the ride height from say riding 2" off the ground to 3" or 4" you also alter your alinement settings. In the front you will change both camber and toe. Now on a performance car that has been aligned and set to function in a given manner, altering the ride height is going to throw all of those settings out of whack if you do not get it to exactly the right ride height that you set the car up at?

I'll stick with my coilovers. I bought and installed a set today as a matter of fact. I'll be sure to post up some pictures. I know you like your bags because you can alter the ride height. It's up to you man if that's what you want but do not sit here and try to argue with me and tell me that airbags outperform coilovers or a good shock/spring combo. That's a lie.

Also to everyone saying that I have no experience with cars due to my limited background, those are just the cars I've owned. I'm sorry I didn't build a race car during the time I was going through college. I apologize for trying to study and get through school. I guess I'm doing it wrong since I'm not spending all my money are car parts.

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
Because being an ass and telling people they are wrong after you are the one who made a post asking for opinions. You just stated "You want to bring a rebultle, bring proof. Not just "I've logged countless lap times on my setup..." That's not proof, it's word of mouth which doesn't stand up". HOWEVER, MenesGT06 has had the same car, different setups, and separate runs at a track. His recorded times got better with his current setup. So how is that "word of mouth"? THAT'S PROOF! Maybe it wont be better on your setup, but for him it's working. He stated already that airbags aren't the best. Everybody prefers something different.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
What's with your shitty attitude man?
How can you call yourself a mechanical engineer when you break sway bar end links? :roflmao:

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Considering how brittle they are it wasn't surprising. I guess I expected actual knowledge from this forum instead of speculation. Coilovers > airbags.

Menes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
It's not an argument. It's a proven fact that airbag setups do not perform as well as a good spring strut combination or a coilover suspension setup. I'm not an idiot I'm just not ignorant. Thank you for you 2 cents but your biased towards the bags probably because someone has told you they were better or whatever. I don't care why you think they are better but I know for a FACT that airbags do not perform as well as coilovers. You want to bring a rebultle, bring proof. Not just "I've logged countless lap times on my setup..." That's not proof, it's word of mouth which doesn't stand up.

I usually don't keep all my time slips so I don't have any of my car when it was stock. Even though I pretty much have nothing to prove to you as I'm not trying to sell you anything and I know my car, I'll be at the track this weekend and I promise I will post up my lap times vs my friends mustangs just so I can knock you off your little pedestal.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I won't last long here? Why is that? I like this forum,

Yes, but this forum doesn't like you. Maybe you don't realize this, but this forum is geared towards two types of Mustang owners: hard-core drag racers and hard-core corner-carvers. Sure, there are some "low and slow" types here, but for the most part, if it doesn't make a car have a faster ET or a quicker lap time, we don't give a shit about it. There are quite a few very knowledgable people here, and your attitude is just pissing them (and everyone else) off.

You might have better luck at a different Mustang forum or FatLace or something that caters to the "hellaflush" crowd. :hi:

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I won't jump on the flaming bandwagon just yet! You do seem like you have a little knowledge of basic suspension and the geometry. But is it from experience or just from the books!

But one thing I have learned from my racing experience is no one thing/part etc is necessarily better than any other in racing unless we're talking quality. There's just too many variables!!! Driver, combination of components, track conditions, etc. I come from a circle track background and 3 link rear suspension is what we used for years! A arm front though with coils!!!
You can't tell another man what will work on his car when you don't know his style of driving or the rest of the variables.

So remember there are many variables in car setup/building/racing and attitude is everything when looking for respect! And If you don't want to be respected on this forum, then I would suggest following the advice above and find somewhere else to go!!

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
Well put!

Mended06gt, will you be driving both cars? I would think the driver plays as much a part as the suspension. Have fun, wish I was going to the track!

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
I won't jump on the flaming bandwagon just yet! You do seem like you have a little knowledge of basic suspension and the geometry. But is it from experience or just from the books!

But one thing I have learned from my racing experience is no one thing/part etc is necessarily better than any other in racing unless we're talking quality. There's just too many variables!!! Driver, combination of components, track conditions, etc. I come from a circle track background and 3 link rear suspension is what we used for years! A arm front though with coils!!!
You can't tell another man what will work on his car when you don't know his style of driving or the rest of the variables.

So remember there are many variables in car setup/building/racing and attitude is everything when looking for respect! And If you don't want to be respected on this forum, then I would suggest following the advice above and find somewhere else to go!!

Honestly my knowledge comes from both. My family used to race late model dirt cars back when I was younger, in college I was one the Formula SAE team at my school, and the reason I dislike the 3-link isn't because of a handling factor. Granted, a 3-link solid axle will lot perform on a road course type application as well as a good independent rear suspension due to the fact that a 3-link rear end causes the two sides to be linked together. An IRS system, each tire can absorb inputs seperately (introduce a sway bar and that sort of alters things a bit) so that the car can maintain the stability on the side not seeing the deflection. A 3-link, since they are linked due to the solid axle, one side seeing deflection will cause a disturbance in the other side as well. I just didn't like the fact that I can't adjust my camber in the rear.

That's not the reason I knocked the solid rear axle. Looks at the setup Griggs offers, it's absolutely marvelous. It has proven itself on many cars. They do not, however, run bags. Airbags will do fine for most people daily driving wanting a low car and being able to take it to the track. But when saying that Airbags are better than coilovers, it's just not true. By altering the pressure in your bags to raise or lower your car, you are altering the spring rates. The higher you go the higher the spring rate. The kit could be designed around a desired height and a desired spring rate and do well but then you lose your height adjustability in that system. The system will do well at 1 height and 1 height only. Outside of that and your spring rate isn't what it should be.

We studied this stuff in vibrations to get to the technical side of things but I really don't want to go into that as it can start to get complicated for most folks beyond the basics of whats going on.

Go and ask any race team what they use on their cars and I promise you it's not going to be airbag setups. Airbags were designed to have ride height adjustment on the fly, not for performance. Some companies took airbags a step farther but you can only go so far with them. The fact that the spring rate changed with height is what kills it. Also the fact that you have so many additional parts that can malfunction also kills it for me. I need something that I'm not going to have to worry about breaking. I can drive with a blown damper but I can't raise my car up if a bag is blown or the compressor dies or I have a leak in my lines.

Now when it comes to the whole being respected on the forum thing, I didn't come in here to start a thread war and piss people off. I just don't like to be given false information and when I see something that is false I'm going to throw the BS flag. Will I argue my point? YES. I like to argue but I won't argue a point if I feel I'm totally off.

Also, about the track time as compared to a friends with stock setup, they're going to be irrelevant.

A buddy of mine and I took our cars, bone stock autocrossing and my times were at least 4 seconds faster than his. Why is that? I'm a more experienced driver than he is. I pushed my car harder than he did and was more comfortable at the limit that he was. We took them to the drag strip and I ran a 10th of a second faster than he did in the quarter mile. We have the same cars but one has more power than the other, one of ours could have been hooking up better, I mean the variable are endless there. On top of that we have different drivers.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I added coilovers. They're not fully adjusted as I am waiting for them to settle. Once they are settled I will adjust the ride heights. I don't have access to scales at the moment so I will not be able to corner balance the car at this time.

DSCN0265.jpg

DSCN0267.jpg

DSCN0268.jpg

DSCN0269.jpg

DSCN0270.jpg

DSCN0271.jpg

DSCN0272.jpg

DSCN0273.jpg

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wait. You said you didn't care about performance; you wanted it "low and slow." WTF would you corner weight the car then?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back