The Great Oil Debate

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I change mine monthly regardless of mileage. Peace of mind I guess. Hitting 165k now and still running strong. Have always used full synthetic.

how many miles a month are you driving, because frankly, that sounds like a foolish change interval.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I change mine monthly regardless of mileage. Peace of mind I guess. Hitting 165k now and still running strong. Have always used full synthetic.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

That seems a bit excessive. I'd think that you're throwing away money and perfectly good oil at that point. One day we're going to run out of oil/gas and I'm going to keyboard warrior the hell out of you.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
Lol. I can take it. I was driving about 100 miles a day for years to and from the office. Now it is down to averaging around 1500 month. Give or take. I guess due to the stop and go mileage I just got into that habit.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys.

Car is well out of warranty, so no worries there.

In any event, Castrol GTX meets the minimum standards, and I always use a Motorcraft Filter. My dad is a firm believer, and it has been passed down to me subconsciously, if its a ford, Motorcraft. If its a GM, AC Delco, and etc.

But, I save nothing. receipts, records, etc. So, Im sure Id be screwed there anyway.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, like I said.

I change the oil and the filter every 3000 miles, so if I am reading right, I am good to go.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I change mine every 4-6 weeks. I drive 80-100 miles a day round trip for work 6 days a week in a lot of traffic at times and I have a heavy foot. So my OCI's are around 3600-4000 miles on the oil in desert conditions. That is about manufacturers recommended.

cmw0300

Reaction score
I use royal Purple and change every 10k miles. 128k miles on the car and still running strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone use Royal Purple oil filters?

I'm asking because I watched the videos on how much better they are at filtering the oil, so I bought and used Royal Purple 5w 30 and the Royal Purple oil for my high mileage 2005 GT... And I'm having an issue.

After installing the RP filter and oil, I noticed that ill only have good torque while the engine is cold but as soon as the engine gets to peak operating temp, I'll have less torque. I'm wondering if the oil filter is too restrictive and not allowing my phasers or timing to go where it needs to in order to produce the power that I'm used to experiencing at peak operating temp...?

Your thoughts?

If no one has experienced this, well I'll know if it's the filters fault cause I'm due for another oil change in a week so I'll use a motorcraft filter and another oil and see if that changes anything as far as torque at peak operating temp.

0517suhleen

Reaction score
I really doubt it has anything to do with it, though i've heard royal purple isn't the best oil in high temp. areas.
Just my .02

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Don't care for anything labeled Royal Purple.

I buy and use Amsoil directly from amsoil.com and couldn't be happier with their oil and filters.
Some of the filters I use are WIX, also high quality.

When I buy, I order enough for several oil changes, especially when they do a free shipping promo like they did about 2-3 weeks ago.
I use Amsoil in my '13 GT (10w40 until they recently released their new 5w50), my '06 Tundra (5w30), my fiancee's '08 GT500 (10w40 until they recently released their new 5w50), and her '03 Forester (5w30):

20160505_oil.jpg

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses fellas. I have a MotorCraft oil filter ready to go, I cant quite afford Amsoil so i gotta go with whatever oil is on hand at the local autoparts stores... anyone have a recommendation on what oil and weight I should get for my 05 Mustang GT with 145,000 miles? I've been using Kendall GT1 full synthetic 5w-30 that worked well... i only used the RP stuff on the last oil change because it worked well in my TwinTurbo 300zx's i had back in the day.

Last edited:

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
I've been using Mobil 1 5w-30 since day one. I normally use either a motor craft, Purolator pureone, or Mobil1 filter. I used to be a big fan of Purolator filters since they have the most experience in that market but lately I've switched. No good reason other than I got a killer deal on oil and filters at advance using my Amex and holiday code.

Was gunna try royal purple to try something different so I'm curious here

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
93K miles on mine. Have used Mobil1 oil since I bought it new. I agree with Gabe on the Wix filters being good quality. I use those and Motorcraft one's if I can't find a Wix locally. Here is a good link for some cut open filters at least. The Amsoil one looks pretty good quality and will probably be what I switch to in the future now.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/291232-Oil-filters-exposed-pic-heavy

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score
motorcraft filter and whatever quality synthetic was on sale.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Never had a problem running motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20 on my 3v car, that's when it was stock, turbo'd and then supercharged with a built motor.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
The RP filters are made by Champ labs. Champ labs makes filters for a ton of companies, STP, and Mobil 1 to name a few. Mobil 1's filter is actually a unique design, though most of the other Champ branded filters are about the same. Still better than FRAM. If you get anything Champ based, I use the Mobil 1 EP ones if the RP's are out of stock locally.

Anything by Wix (Dana Corp.) is usually good. I think the filters Amsoil sells are Wix based. Be careful though as some "low-end" Wix filters are known to have been made by Champ labs. Just a mental note if you are trying to avoid Champ labs.

The Ford filters are Purolator filters. Purolator is still good, and I would use these (PureONE or higher) on my cars when I couldn't wait on an Amsoil shipment.

Don't even look at FRAM.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
FRPP oil filters. 50% heavier than oem, and 60% more media inside + high temp silicone rubber seals, handles sustained high heat and high pressure, etc. But for a NA dd car, they are not really necessary. With a blower, I'd use em..and do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back