Racedeck floor and garage remodel - almost done

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Been working on my garage for a few years. Keep in mind, this thing was bare studs and tar paper when I first moved in, and some idiot had made a half-assed attempt at rolling house paint on the floor. Over the last two years I've added:

• sanded pine walls
  • 20' of workbenches on the right side
  • wall cabinets on the left and right walls
  • shelving along the left wall
  • run 220V to a new subpanel and added outlets all over the garage
  • added three sets of twin T8 lighting in 16' lengths on the ceiling
  • 32" TV and small fridge
  • 3' monster wall fan and a ceiling fan
  • painted the top half gray and the bottom half blue (scanned from a Ford Racing banner) and added a black stripe between the colors
  • and decked out the top for storage in the ceiling
The only thing left (apart from paneling the ceiling) has been the nasty floor. I finally ordered and installed Racedeck last weekend in black and medium gray. The panels look a little funky right in front of the fridge because they are "flow through" tiles for the water than comes off the ski after a ride. No teasing about the cheezy fake hot rod signs - almost all of them are from the kids and wife for Christmas and birthdays over the last two years.

This shows how nasty the floor was:

20151205_144038_resized_zpsvv35arh6.jpg

And here's a few after shots:

20151205_175555_resized_zpsjzz4i0mh.jpg

20151207_172825_resized_zpsa67pgeah.jpg

20151207_172903_resized_zpselifveu0.jpg

20151207_172853_resized_zpsr9vpfr5n.jpg

20151207_172913_resized_zpsdgzcxqhy.jpg

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
Nice! The fan is a great touch, my garage is always an oven and I'd consider something similar in the future to help with the heat/fume buildup mine's prone to.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
Looks awesome, I am torn between race deck and epoxy ... I have a bit to go before I get there but here is a pic of where I am at now

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449871355.058365.jpg

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks good Dave. Wish I had that amount of garage space.

Time for some wheels on that Shelby!!!!

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Looks awesome, I am torn between race deck and epoxy ... I have a bit to go before I get there but here is a pic of where I am at now
View attachment 54813

My opinion - don't even think about epoxy. Spend the money on Racedeck, or something equivalent, and do it right the first time.

Looks good Dave. Wish I had that amount of garage space.

Time for some wheels on that Shelby!!!!

Shit, my garage is tiny by my neighborhood's standards - only a 20x20. About half the homes have a 3 car side by side, and some have a 5 car with two in front, two behind that, and a single at the back with a roll up door in the back. I'm totally envious.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments. It's way more work and way more money that you ever imagine when you get started. But I'm digging it, and that's all that counts. Plus, it gives me a little sanctuary to watch TV and drink beer when I need a break from the family.

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
How's race deck deal with spills?
Does it seep under the tiles or what?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Great pics, you're giving me some ideas for my garage. I have yet to get started on mine.

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3175.jpg

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Skwerl, your garage looks to be about the same size. Just plan it out and pull the trigger. Piece by piece it'll come together and you'll love it. I can't repeat this often enough - skip the shitty roll on stuff and buy the Racedeck or equivalent. Yes it's expensive, but so is anything else that's good quality.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Total floor space is 20x35 but there's a step about mid way in. I'm planning on closing off the back half as my air conditioned workshop.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shit, my garage is tiny by my neighborhood's standards - only a 20x20. About half the homes have a 3 car side by side, and some have a 5 car with two in front, two behind that, and a single at the back with a roll up door in the back. I'm totally envious.

In my area, single car is typical and maybe 10 x 14 in size. Real estate is at a premium. I have a 1/5 acre and that's a big lot for my area of town.

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
Looks great! I'm slowly getting there too as money allows.

SGTguy

forum member
Reaction score
Your garage looks great, like the wall fan idea. I have a ceiling fan but it does not do the job in real hot weather,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
How's race deck deal with spills?
Does it seep under the tiles or what?

Wow, I really like what you did with it! The cabinets are awesome! This is the first I've heard of Racedeck. I've seen similar done except it was a "mushy" material similar to what you'd see in a gym? I'm guessing this stuff is more like a hard plastic? Durable? Like Wes said, do liquids seep through the cracks under the panels? Was planning on epoxying the garage in the Spring but this has me thinking.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, I really like what you did with it! The cabinets are awesome! This is the first I've heard of Racedeck. I've seen similar done except it was a "mushy" material similar to what you'd see in a gym? I'm guessing this stuff is more like a hard plastic? Durable? Like Wes said, do liquids seep through the cracks under the panels? Was planning on epoxying the garage in the Spring but this has me thinking.

That's what has me on the fence ... oil and coolant has to leak between the tiles... It looks amazing, but not cheap at 3 something a square ft.. I was going to go with epoxy masters do it yourself kit,which isn't cheap either and you have to diamond watch the floor to prep.

I will probably just go with race deck, looks sick and is more comfortable and warmer than concrete

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Fullboogie, is the RaceDeck stuff just interlocking tiles that float on top of the concrete or are they glued down? I'm also wondering how spills are dealt with, if you can pull them up for really bad spills and clean up underneath them.

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
RaceDeck just interlock on top of the floor and are not attached. They also make some that are a flow through design for liquid drainage.

Also look up Swisstrax they are another company that make these as well.

Both companies will send you samples of the product...

I've been wanting to do this for awhile now but I keep spending money on other stuff...

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Looks awesome dude, I want something like Racedeck in my garage soon ... looking at options since $2k is a bit much right now, so it's gonna be a year or so before I pull the trigger ...

RaceDeck just interlock on top of the floor and are not attached. They also make some that are a flow through design for liquid drainage.

Also look up Swisstrax they are another company that make these as well.

Both companies will send you samples of the product...

I've been wanting to do this for awhile now but I keep spending money on other stuff...

WeatherTech also has something.

http://www.techfloor.com/

Garage_Red_and_Black-Photo.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back