Keep Deer Out

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
Other than building a high fence around my yard, anyone have a way of keeping them outside a certain perimiter? Do the deterrents at Home Depot work?

They are being a bit aggressive and stomped on my wife's dog. Shooting them is not an option (at least for now).

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
latest

:yaoface:

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
It's more for flower gardens but they avoid Marigolds.. dunno how populated you are but "marking your territory" helps too

chandlern

forum member
Reaction score
Bigger dog, feed it raw venison. With our herd we don't even have squirrels, they go around our yard.

Attachments

• 12744295_974797092598050_2054386785244295041_n.jpg
    12744295_974797092598050_2054386785244295041_n.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 11

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
That's what I really want. A big dog. I'm going to get one one of these weekends. Would love to have a mastiff.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Get a cheap airsoft gun at the sporting goods store and just shoot them. Works great with rabbits

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why is shooting them not an option? I'm sure you can get a non-take tag to dispatch aggressive and nuisance deer.

chandlern

forum member
Reaction score
That's what I really want. A big dog. I'm going to get one one of these weekends. Would love to have a mastiff.

If you do, please use a rescue or buy from a reputable breeder ie someone who will share health test results of parents, let you see the parents (preferably titled in show/working areas), has registration papers, up to date vet records, has a contract etc. There are many people who get into it just to make a buck and the result is substandard breedings with all kinds of expensive life long health issues. With our breed (cane corso) 99% of the time you get what you pay for!

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
They hate moth balls. I didn't know it until last year a friend told me so I tried it out near my brothers tree stand and sure enough for 2 weeks straight they didn't come around his stand and he ended up having to move it

Townson

forum member
Reaction score
So, a gun is out of the question.. are you opposed to hitting a deer with a baseball bat? Lol.

chandlern

forum member
Reaction score
Get the wife a trip to the spa, shoot deer, clean up the mess before she returns. Put some moth balls out and praise s197 forum for good advise when she wonders where the deer went.

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
Get a cheap airsoft gun at the sporting goods store and just shoot them. Works great with rabbits

I have an airsoft rifle in the garage. Time to bust it out and put it to use.

Why is shooting them not an option? I'm sure you can get a non-take tag to dispatch aggressive and nuisance deer.

I'll need to look into this some more. The vet said that they are a a bit aggressive now due to them having their fawns around and that bucks seem to be aggressive in October specially towards women and kids. If one ever gets aggressive enough I won't think about it twice but for now I better do some research.

If you do, please use a rescue or buy from a reputable breeder ie someone who will share health test results of parents, let you see the parents (preferably titled in show/working areas), has registration papers, up to date vet records, has a contract etc. There are many people who get into it just to make a buck and the result is substandard breedings with all kinds of expensive life long health issues. With our breed (cane corso) 99% of the time you get what you pay for!

Wife is big on this. Almost adopted a Rottweiler the other day from the shelter. You have a beautiful dog by the way.

They hate moth balls. I didn't know it until last year a friend told me so I tried it out near my brothers tree stand and sure enough for 2 weeks straight they didn't come around his stand and he ended up having to move it

I did come up on this yesterday when navigating Google. I'll buy some today and do a test.

So, a gun is out of the question.. are you opposed to hitting a deer with a baseball bat? Lol.

Nope. Not opposed to punching it either, even if it's wearing glasses.

Get the wife a trip to the spa, shoot deer, clean up the mess before she returns. Put some moth balls out and praise s197 forum for good advise when she wonders where the deer went.

Great idea. Thanks everyone. For now I'll just buy some moth balls, bust out the old airsoft, and possibly buy a baseball bat!

Yesterday wife took a houseplant outside to water it and for it to get some sunlight. I told her to be careful with the deer and not 10 minutes later one of them walked up to our front door and started eating her plant! Had to shoosh it away.

chandlern

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, we have three in all! Good luck with the deer, avoid saying I told you so when the deer decides she should give it more food!

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I also have a deer problem but not nearly as bad as yours seems to be. I have used Bobbex for many years to protect the plants in my yard and it works very well. I don't know if it would work to keep deer out of the yard but if you spray the plants and there isn't anything they want to eat, I would think they would stay away.

In your case, I would be extremely worried about aggressive bucks during mating season this fall.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If I can get a nuisance license at any time in NY from our DEC, I am sure you can do something similar in TX.

I believe I can actually shoot a deer without a license so long as I don't keep any part of it and report it to the DEC as soon as possible. But I would need good reason. If you already had one harm your property (your dog) I'd think that counts.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/...imal-regulations/nuisance-fur-bearing-animals

Some people want deer hide right??

Last edited:

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
Obviously they are accustomed to your area and do not really fear anything there. It will take a little bit of time to condition them even when you find out what works. They are persistent and can be dangerous if they have no fear. You might try fireworks if they are legal there or they have those propane cannons that are used for scaring birds. (DIY version here http://www.instructables.com/id/simple-and-very-loud-propane-noisemaker-cannon/ )Problem is, they will learn that you don't make loud noises at night and just adapt to coming around after dark.

I have read before that if you go around and pee on the perimeter of your property it will deter them, but I don't know how well or how long it works.

Basically you have to put fear into them, and until that is done, either by one or more getting killed or some other method, they will continue to be a problem. If you have reported it to your local game warden they might have some suggestions or even can transplant them.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back