Help me get down the track

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
Keep in mind I'm trying to keep the car as streetable as possible. Suspension mods are all BMR, drag springs, upper/lower control arms, upper bracket (top hole), lower control arm relocation (middle hole), rear sway bar (stiffest setting), viking shocks, and strange struts. Diff is a trutrac and tires are M/T pro radials.

It's not the best video so it's hard to see, but the car is leaning hard on the right rear which is what I think my issue is, but not sure. I was wanting to stay away from an anti roll bar, but I will get one if it will help keep the car from spinning down the track. On this run I had the right shock 6 clicks stiffer on compression.

In the video you can hear the car start to overpower the track at the top of first gear which leads to hitting the limiter on the 1-2 shift, then fighting for traction until after the 2-3 shift.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
What are you running for tire pressure and how long are your burnouts? Do the Viking shocks have a rebound adjustment?

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
Tried 16-22 psi with 16 giving the best traction. Burnout's are 3-4 seconds. Shocks on 5c 7r with the right shock in the video at 11c 7r.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
The right rear shock rebound needs to be dialed up to match the compression, or higher than compression. And if you aren't bottomed out on the front struts, I would dial those down.

Burnouts need to be in second gear and once you see smoke power through the water box to clear out any residual moisture.

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Tried 16-22 psi with 16 giving the best traction. Burnout's are 3-4 seconds. Shocks on 5c 7r with the right shock in the video at 11c 7r.
I would bump that burn out up to about a one thousand 5 count

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2011/5.0

Reaction score
I would assume you useing second gear for your burnout

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
I let the car shift and hold it around 55mph for about 3 seconds then drive out of the burnout box. The tires generate plenty of smoke and they grab coming out of the box so I always assumed that was good enough.

Front struts are at full soft.

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
It doesn't look like it's rolling that much looking at the video, but a different angle and higher quality video would help a lot. There is a possibility that you just need to get with your tuner about how the power comes on. If power is being ramped in too quickly, it's no surprise that you'd be overpowering the tires down the line.

I would match the shock settings side to side and see what happens, as well as doing a slightly longer burnout.

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
It doesn't look like it's rolling that much looking at the video, but a different angle and higher quality video would help a lot. There is a possibility that you just need to get with your tuner about how the power comes on. If power is being ramped in too quickly, it's no surprise that you'd be overpowering the tires down the line.

I would match the shock settings side to side and see what happens, as well as doing a slightly longer burnout.

I was hoping you would chime in. I know in the video it doesn't appear to roll much, but watching it in person it looks bad, at least to me (let a friend drive a couple passes). I know an anti roll bar helps the 60ft, but does it also help traction while going down the track? Maybe it does but not enough to worry about in my case?

The power does come in pretty quick and after going to the track I've taken the time to setup my boost controller by speed so that should help. I'll for sure do a longer burnout as it seems to be the most common response. Any recommendation on shock settings? I started at 5c and 7r on both sides and went up 6c clicks on the right side which was the advice of another racer watching. He claims it made a huge difference, but it didn't solve any traction issues.

Any other suggestions that I can try? If I set the car up to squat would that help any or not make any difference at all? Would losing 75-100lbs make any difference?

BMR Tech 2

Reaction score
Setting the car up to squat is probably going to hurt you more than help. When the car squats, the axle rises, which will make the tires more likely to spin. You could try running the lowest hole on your relo brackets, that would jam the tire down harder. An anti-roll bar will help since it keeps the tires evenly loaded, but I understand your trepidation about installing one if this is a street driven car.

When is your next track outing?

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Would it help him any to remove the front sway bar

BMR Tech 2

Reaction score
Yup. Most drag guys will remove the front sway bar to cut some weight from the car and to improve weight transfer.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly trying to base suspension needs from a few passes at Coastal Plains this time of year isn't the best thing to do.

Other than that one vid where it looks like you lined up out of the groove, you're launching straight and the 1.5xx 60' sez you're getting traction but the tires are blowing off once you get past the prep.

I know Piedmont is a bit of a drive from the coast but they usually have good prep for their Sunday T&T and that'll show you where your suspension needs are.

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
Setting the car up to squat is probably going to hurt you more than help. When the car squats, the axle rises, which will make the tires more likely to spin. You could try running the lowest hole on your relo brackets, that would jam the tire down harder. An anti-roll bar will help since it keeps the tires evenly loaded, but I understand your trepidation about installing one if this is a street driven car.

When is your next track outing?

I have a friend that has car setup similar to mine that has an anit roll bar. I'll take his for a spin and see if I'd be ok with it or not. If I can make it to the track I'm planning to go this Sunday.
Would it help him any to remove the front sway bar

Forgot to mention, but front sway bar is removed.

Honestly trying to base suspension needs from a few passes at Coastal Plains this time of year isn't the best thing to do.

Other than that one vid where it looks like you lined up out of the groove, you're launching straight and the 1.5xx 60' sez you're getting traction but the tires are blowing off once you get past the prep.

I know Piedmont is a bit of a drive from the coast but they usually have good prep for their Sunday T&T and that'll show you where your suspension needs are.

I know what your saying about Coastal, but it's close to home so I want the car to work at this track. When you watch another street driven car run 10.1@135 on the same day and same track on radials with no traction issues at all it just makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong. I know 2 different car 2 different setups, but I feel if he's hooking I should be able to also.

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
Track was hooking today. I did longer burnouts and stiffened the shocks up more and changed the trans tune some. I didn't have one issue all day until the last run where it spun on the 1-2 shift and I had to get out of it for half a second. If I could get the car to hook like it did today on a lesser prepped day I'd be super happy with it.

Best run today was 60ft 1.58, 1/8th 6.58@111, 1/4 10.13@139

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Track was hooking today. I did longer burnouts and stiffened the shocks up more and changed the trans tune some. I didn't have one issue all day until the last run where it spun on the 1-2 shift and I had to get out of it for half a second. If I could get the car to hook like it did today on a lesser prepped day I'd be super happy with it.

Best run today was 60ft 1.58, 1/8th 6.58@111, 1/4 10.13@139
Hauling ass!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back