Skwerl's new cabin

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Been steadily working on the yard for the last few months after the lawn spraying service debacle. The guy almost killed my lawn, I only mowed twice in July/August because nothing was growing. I fired him and began doing my own spraying. I knew a little bit and have been learning more as I go. I've almost got the fungus issues under control and the lawn is filling in nicely. Also I've finally got the azaleas to start blooming.

Supposed to get cold this weekend so everything will likely go dormant, wanted to get pics while everything was still green.

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3395.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Wish I had some updates but I haven't been doing anything around the house lately. Got rid of my roommate in January so it's just me here now. I have lots of ideas but not so much money or motivation. I keep threatening to finish my shop but no such luck yet.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I bet you wont finish the shop, your to chicken to finish the shop

<that reverse psychology tho>

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Picked up another 4 tons of rock and finished my driveway this morning. My camera is missing so no pics. Not much, but it's something.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You have really improved that neglected property. I like the updates because it gives me ideas for my own property.

My neighbor lives kinda behind and me and it bugs me to look out my bedroom window at the front of her house. It also bugs me that she has a nearly unobstructed view of my entire backyard. I am thinking about putting in a row of fast growing privacy trees in a strategic location to block my view of her house and her view of our home/yard.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
This morning after dealing with the bank finance person, I came home and decided to put down the laminate floor in one of the spare bedrooms. I have all the flooring and enough good underlayment for one room at least. Got 2/3 done and stopped for lunch, came back and on the first piece promptly bashed my thumb with the dead blow hammer. I think I'll quit for the day as soon as I clean up the blood.

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Looking good, sorry about the thumb, that's got to suck!
I'll be in Orlando tonight and tomorrow night if you want to grab some grub.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
This morning after dealing with the bank finance person, I came home and decided to put down the laminate floor in one of the spare bedrooms. I have all the flooring and enough good underlayment for one room at least. Got 2/3 done and stopped for lunch, came back and on the first piece promptly bashed my thumb with the dead blow hammer. I think I'll quit for the day as soon as I clean up the blood.

Looking good, but you're definitely right I've learned a lot of the time the best option is to just walk away. hahahaha

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'm about tired of shoveling dirt after the last couple days. Yesterday I picked up about 4-5 yards of dirt (for free) and filled in a section of the ditch in front of my house. A hundred feet of ditch and water only puddles in the last 10 feet before overflowing. So I broke it up and filled in the section straight out from my front door. I'll sod it in a week or two once it settles. I had extra dirt to fill in a few low spots around the yard as well.

IMG_0043.jpg

Then today I got a 'free' tree from a customer. They were not happy with this 'little jem' magnolia so I offered to take it off their hands. After moving all that dirt yesterday, then digging up this tree and planting it today I'm about tired of holding a shovel. I'm getting too old for this shit.

On the other hand I now have a wonderful smelling tree right outside my bedroom window and right next to the back porch. It's covered in buds about to bloom right now.

IMG_0042.jpg

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My brother had a magnolia tree at his old house. Sometimes it would bloom more than once a season. It was a beautiful tree when in bloom. People would stop on the side of the road and take pictures of it. I have thought about planting one in my yard.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
It's a 'little jem' which only get about 30' tall. And it doesn't get full sun so it's not going to grow very fast anyway. Also roots will seek out moisture and there's no moisture under the house slab. Any roots growing in that direction will not get big enough to ever damage the house.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Had to cut down one of my oaks today. It never flushed out very well this year and about a week ago most of the canopy died. Only had one lead with green on it and it was weak.

First time I ever used two bucket trucks on one tree. Had it finished by 11am.

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Two days ago I got stuck in my own back yard trying to park my dump trailer. It's rained every day for almost 2 weeks (after 4 months of no rain). We all know that mulch works for a little while until it doesn't work any more, then it turns to muck. At that point you either have to keep adding more mulch or scrape it all off. I decided for long term benefits I would scrape it up and extend my gravel (crushed recycled concrete) driveway. I don't own a skid steer so I did it with a flat shovel and wheelbarrow.

In my front yard I have a ditch that runs the entire length of the property. But I'm on a slight hill so water only gathers in the last 10' of ditch then runs over. So I decided in order to better catch the rain and make my property more user friendly I'd fill in a bunch of the ditch that wasn't doing anything anyway. A month ago I got a load of about 5 yards of dirt. Today I added the mucky dirt scraped from the back yard and about doubled the amount of ditch filled in.

Either this afternoon or maybe tomorrow I'll go buy some gravel. Looks like I can use 2 loads, or about 8 tons.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Got my stump ground today. Bobby was working in the neighborhood and stopped by to get it for me.

IMG_0077.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back