Key fob operable distance (2013)

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Does anyone else think the key fob distance simply sucks on the 2011+ cars? At first, I thought it was just a bum battery, like it usually is. I had some unused Energizers, so I swapped one in, thinking my problem was solved. Same shittiness, like having to press the button 10x from less than two car lengths away to get even the driver's side to unlock. Getting the two unlock commands needed to open the passenger door as well is nearly impossible, unless you are only a few feet away.

Since I had no idea how long that battery had been in the drawer, I bought a pack of Duracell 2032 batteries and threw one in. Same thing. I even tried using the other fob from my spare set of keys.... no difference.

Is this common? My 05 was never like this. I can open doors on any of our other vehicles from a few hundred feet away. Could there be a receiving antenna in the car somewhere that possibly became unplugged?

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I've looked this up and seen people using phone chargers having the same issue. This thread is related:

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/ele...locking-fob-only-working-short-distances.html

I don't use any car chargers, but I have installed an aftermarket stereo installed with the kit that gives you a cubby hole where the factory HVAC controls were. They are basically extension cables, but I never have anything plugged into them. I've also installed aftermarket speakers (Kickers). I did an incredibly clean install, using brand-name kits, and double/triple-checked all the connections.

I really wish I could say for sure this issue was pre-stereo upgrade, but my gut tells me it has been going on since I bought the car last year.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Mine was awful on my 14, but a new battery fixed it. Would be interesting if aftermarket stereo has any influence on key fob range.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I agree, the distance is pretty awful on it. No more pushing the lock button to find your car if you've lost it in the parking lot. By the time it activates it, your standing next to it already.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I agree, the distance is pretty awful on it. No more pushing the lock button to find your car if you've lost it in the parking lot. By the time it activates it, your standing next to it already.
That is pretty much my experience. Do you have any aftermarket electronics/chargers?

I'm thinking of disconnecting my radio and seeing if it fixes it. If so, I will contact the manufacturer of every part of the kit I used.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
no aftermarket electronics at all in the car. Battery is the original, so I don't know if swapping a new one would help or not.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Never thought about it. I unlock mine when I am near it. The 13 exhibited tendency to be stubborn and not function close in but that is another issue.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Well, I really hope to find time to unplug everything and see if it helps, but realistically, I barely have time to iron my shirt for the next day of work. :(

In case it helps anyone else, here is a list of everything that I used in my stereo install:

- Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
- SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner
- iDatalink Connec Factory Integration Adapter
- iDatalink Maestro ADSMRR Interface Module
- Metra 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter
- iDatalink Connec KITMUS1 Factory Integration Adapter Factory Gray

Last edited:

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Mine sucks in my 2013 and 2003 GTs but I maybe use to my old Pontiac G6 GTP. Only 2 things my old G6 had going for it was AC was coldest I ever experienced and the remote would unlock/ remote start from literally a 1/4 mile away. Just simply was amazing. Everything else on that car sucked lol

07 Boss

Reaction score
Well they say if you hold the fob to the bottom of your jaw it's supposed to increase the range. Something about the fluids in you head acting like an antennae. Never tried it, sounds like an urban legend to me.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
i've heard about the key to the chin and have used it before, but like redfire said, I usually hit unlock when im right up next to it. I use the interior lock buttons when exiting

07 Boss

Reaction score
Hahaha, I guess there is some truth to it. I wonder if it will give you brain tumors or something like that down the road though. Maybe it leads to Alzheimer. Maybe it sharpens your memory. Maybe if you do it enough times you start to develop some kind of super powers.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
The one trick that car manufacturers hate!!!! What happens next will blow your mind.

That fob to the chin thing works, at least on my '13 which already has a great range. Stock electronics.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
f9e.gif

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back