What's a good wheel cleaner that actually REMOVES brake dust?

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
IronX or Sonax will cut through brake dust well -- I've used both, and I tend to favor IronX. Apart from that, I use Red Max by Majestic Solutions a lot as well. I definitely wouldn't recommend using a Magic Eraser on any surface that wouldn't be reconditioned after, as a Magic Eraser sponge will act as an abrasive. Sure, on an aluminum wheel you can hit it with some metal polish later, but on a painted wheel?

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
IronX or Sonax will cut through brake dust well -- I've used both, and I tend to favor IronX. Apart from that, I use Red Max by Majestic Solutions a lot as well. I definitely wouldn't recommend using a Magic Eraser on any surface that wouldn't be reconditioned after, as a Magic Eraser sponge will act as an abrasive. Sure, on an aluminum wheel you can hit it with some metal polish later, but on a painted wheel?

This stuff ?

Amazon.com: Carpro Iron X Iron Remover 500 ml with Sprayer: Automotive

Thanks

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone here tried Meguiar's Professional Series Wheel Brightener? Just got a gallon of this and will be diluting it 4:1 (its highly concentrated) and will give it a try soon.

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-wheel-brightener.html

The more I've been reading on detailing forums is that all these "safe" wheel cleaners are Ph neutral and neutral stuff really sucks are cleaning road grime an brake dust. So by trying to clean it with a ph neutral cleaner is not going too work well.

The Meguiar's wheel brightener is not pH neutral and will dull uncoated polished wheels (which you can polish back to life) but it's safe on most aftermarket wheels that have powder coating or clear coats even chrome. Makes sense to me, I mean the wheels go through a lot with all the heat and brake dust and sometimes goes days to weeks being untouched. I'm sure some stronger soap ain't gonna hurt it.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I might have to try that stuff, these wheels are powdercoated so it shouldn't hurt them.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back