The time has come.........................

oldjonesey

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Almost my first post on here so lets hope it's a good one.

The time has come I've decided to indulge myself and get another Mustang, last one was a '67 390 fastback auto back in the day.

So this time around I'm looking at 2005 to 2009 models.

The car will defo be a weekend queen used during the summer only for weekend trips and holidays abroad.

Having said that the modding force is strong in this one Luke and I love to tinker. Which takes use nicely onto my dilemma, do I buy GT and tune up the engine or go straight for a GT500 and spend what money I have left on suspension etc, opinions please.

And is there anyone out there that has owned both models and can comment on the differences.

Thanks for your help.

Oldjonesey

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
GT500 if you want to go real fast :D

I've owned both, a blown 06GT at 460 whp and now a 08GT500 at 775 whp (fully built motor).

the GT500 motor is much stronger if you want to got 600+ hp

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
GT500 are going pretty damn reasonable right now.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Opinion? Do the GT500. If power isn't enough with simple mods at that level 9pulley, tune, CAI, etc.), you can always swap to the upgraded TVS unit (head unit only will swap directly over) and pick up more. Forged internals on the GT500 which is an obvious plus for upping HP over the GT 4.6L 3V. And being an old school guy, you understand the phrase, "there is no substitution for CID". Therefore 5.4L displacement vice 4.6L displacement.

Can't tell you on comparison as every chance I had to get one in my price range and color liking was gone before I could see it.

Either way enjoy.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I've had both as well; '06 GT convertible at high 500s rwhp, to now an '11 GT500 with over 1000 rwhp.

Obviously I made the switch to a GT500, so I am bit biased in my opinion, but I would still recommend going for the GT500 right off the bat. It sounds like it would meet your needs better.

The two are very similar cars due to the identical chassis, suspension type and geometry, and so on, but the GT500 does most things better. I would probably say, the only instance where I might go GT over GT500 would be for a naturally aspirated roadcourse/HPDE car, as the GT500 does lug around a bit more weight. For tinkering, cruising, occasional drag strip visit, and everything else; GT500. It's just that bit more special, nicer, and faster.

I also think the early S197 GT500s look better than the GTs of the same years; you used to see a lot of GT guys going with a GT500 front end, but never the other way around. Probably doesn't say much, but still, I prefer the styling of the GT500.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is not even a question. If a GT500 is in the range of your budget, the decision is already made for you. Get the GT500. It's more of everything. And will always be worth more as a result.

oldjonesey

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all your input, you've kinda reinforced what I was thinking already, of course the dearly beloved then comes along and throws a spanner in the works by wanting a convertible!!!!!!

Don't much about the GT500 engine, is it just a bored out 3V or an entirely different model all together?

Also, are there any known faults I should look out for when viewing?

Thanks once again,

Oldjonesy.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't much about the GT500 engine, is it just a bored out 3V or an entirely different model all together?

100% different animal. It's a 5.4. DOHC. Blower of course. No major issues with any version of them that I have ever read about. '07-'09 all had 500 hp and 480 ft-lbs.

They respond favorably to simple light mods.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back