Hot rod cams install went wrong, need info.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
You already have the cover off so you might as well pull the other chain and make sure it's good. Rotate the motor until the cam is about where it's supposed to be, pull the chain, and line the marks up. It will take about 5 more minutes. Just be careful when pulling the tensioner because it's fairly easy to tear the rubber seal on the sharp block edge. Back both bolts out evenly so the seal isn't pressed against the block when you finally take one or both bolts out to relieve tension on the guide.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
man i just pulled the passenger phaser off my motor, believe its the part making the noise.

And the fucking cam rotated clockwise on me....was a bear to get it back lined up with the phaser...........lol

wound up remove intake followers on second cylinder back so the lobe's werent pushing them down when rotated. Got it torqued, and came in because my head's killing me.

I really hope i dont have your problems when I go to start again and pray that phaser was the issue

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
It takes about 76 full revolutions for the timing marks to line up again.

Thanks Bruce...I stand corrected. I've only timed bikes and old-school single-cam V-8's. My first modular build is awaiting assembly in my garage. Sorry for putting out bad info.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce...I stand corrected. I've only timed bikes and old-school single-cam V-8's. My first modular build is awaiting assembly in my garage. Sorry for putting out bad info.

When I put my first motor together I cranked it over by hand a few times and the marks didn't line up. I couldn't understand why they wouldn't line back up so I thought I'd screwed something up somewhere but couldn't figure out what or where. There was no drama when they were put on. Everything had gone together very easily.

I kept turning it over by hand and noticed that the chains timing marks would end up in different spots. I think I counted 76 but really can't say for sure. What I do know is that it takes a whole lot of revolutions before they all line up again. I try to share the info if I can so someone else doesn't have to go through the same thing.

Hey OP, is it back together?

scarlett98

forum member
Reaction score
If you crank the engine with the gas pedal all the way down does it crank consistently. Or does it have a weird sound every couple turns?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
No hotrods are meant to just drop in without any changes to the engine. Stock springs, phasers without lockout/limiters etc

Keckjr

Reaction score
Sorry for the wait, but it's all back together and loping perfectly!! took it on 2 different 140 mile round trips and it's running perfect! gas milage hardly changed and definitely can feel some gains in the upper rpms. Got it all reassembled in no time, loaded the bama tune and it fired first time and couldn't be happier with the result. despite all my problems at first I'm glad that it turned out well after everything went back together. cost me a roller follower, lifter, phaser and almost a cam had I not known people who could do as good of work as they did at repairing the lobe and the nose of the camshaft. After doing the complete timing job I feel I could do one in my sleep without pulling the cover now, but I had to learn the hard way to double check the followers being seated properly.

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it ended well. It is frustrating as hell when these things happen.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry for the wait, but it's all back together and loping perfectly!! took it on 2 different 140 mile round trips and it's running perfect! gas milage hardly changed and definitely can feel some gains in the upper rpms. Got it all reassembled in no time, loaded the bama tune and it fired first time and couldn't be happier with the result. despite all my problems at first I'm glad that it turned out well after everything went back together. cost me a roller follower, lifter, phaser and almost a cam had I not known people who could do as good of work as they did at repairing the lobe and the nose of the camshaft. After doing the complete timing job I feel I could do one in my sleep without pulling the cover now, but I had to learn the hard way to double check the followers being seated properly.

Congrats! That was a close one. I've got these cams in my car as well. Not the best for power, but I love the sound!

gray06gt

Reaction score
You may have put them in the wrong side or the timing is off mine started right up before the tune and idled fine. A bit high but ran and sounded great

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
He already got the problem fixed.

Also putting them in the wrong sides will at minimum make the chain grind the head as it turns because one is shorter than the other bringing the chain to close to the engine.

Bulldog81

Reaction score
Howdy. I'm looking for more info on this matter as I'm having trouble myself. Where did you find this diagram? Should the markings not both be at twelve at the same time ? Thanks for any thing you could tell me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back