Check Charging System

max2000jp

forum member
Reaction score
My mechanic installed the remaned OEM Motorcraft and it's fixed. The overcharge was due to the NAPA alternator.

07 Boss

Reaction score
My mechanic installed the remaned OEM Motorcraft and it's fixed. The overcharge was due to the NAPA alternator.

My last Motorcraft one was overcharging too, and then draining the battery when it sat. Bad diode. My Crapa autoparts one went out too. All the rebuilt ones are shit for some reason.

mikebna

Wannabe
Reaction score
My "Check Charging System" indicator went on too and had the alternator checked and it was good...
So I checked the small wiring loom which was wrapped in the black electrical tape and attached to the alternator...
Because I had done some engine work and moved the alternator out of the way without disconnecting the wiring, one of the small wires inside the cluster of wires attached to the alternator came loose...
I had to unwrap the black electrical taped wiring and sure emough, there was a broken wire inside it...
Repaired the wire and ALL IS WELL AGAIN!!!
Try this first before you buy a new alternator...
Dave
I upgraded my crank pulley and removed the radiator and moved the alt wiring harness out of the way and that is exactly what happened to me. I ended up buying a new battery, a new alternator, and spending a lot of time on the phone with Jim Jr from JDM.

Finally after the code not clearing and the check charge light not going away I ohmed the small wires and checked the pin connector at the alternator.

I found the bad wire connection in the wiring harness on the passenger side where the alt wires connected in, one of them separated from the cheap ass wire splice from the factory.

Just moving the harness a little bit could possibly cause an intermittant charge light failure or bad connection and/or finally break the wire off.

Last edited:

85coupe50

S197 Newbie
Reaction score
I have had 2 batteries die in 2 days and had both charged back up so I can drive around now. WTF. I just got this 2007 GT 2 weeks and 4 days ago... Now this. So it is either a BAD alternator or broken wires. No codes or Check Charging System. I pulled the plug and then the check charging system. i plugged it back in and that went away.

Last edited:

Cali3v_Mikey

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm haveing similar issues. I replaced the altenator and it's charging the battery. I used a multimeter and throwing out 14.4v around there, but my #43 fuse is blowing immediately as soon as I replace regardless if the car is on or off??? Any ideas?

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I had great luck knock on wood. I have 10-12k on my new not remanufactured carquest alt from discount and no issues. Original went 98-100k.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back