Weird issue with keyless entry

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Something strange has started happening with the keyless/remote entry on my 2009 GT. For years, I could have the car locked, press unlock on the fob, the driver door would unlock and the headlights would come on for say 30 seconds. Immediately I could press unlock again if I wanted the passenger door unlocked, or hit Trunk for that to open etc.

But now, as soon as I hit unlock and the headlights come on for 30 seconds, it doesn't accept any commands for 30 seconds. Trunk lock or unlock. I can press anything and it's ignored. Until the time out period ends (lights go off) then it will accept one more command and the charade starts over.

I replaced the batteries in the fobs, tried my other fob, disconnected the battery for 20min. Issue persists. Any ideas? thanks!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check the front passenger foot well for water?

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I was afraid it could be SJB got wet. I hope not. I'll check it out. I thought 07+ patched that water seal better.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be caused due to water intrusion. SJB's have failed due to age. Everything to do with keyless entry and headlight control is central to that unit. Replacement requires the unit to be reflashed as well.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Is there a way to test it without buying a new one and getting it programmed? I have no other issues or symptoms. In fact it will always unlock after the 30 seconds one more time. Has never left me stuck using a key. Been going on for about a year

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
You've pretty much rules out the obvious by replacing batteries in FOB and also trying the other FOB with the same result. Blown fuses would generate a failure of that system to work altogether, but you may inspect them to appease curiosity (F62, F67 in the BEC and F10 within the SJB). It may be possible that connections are in need of being reseated but your symptom (from a common sense perspective of troubleshooting 101) would likely be something more intermittent without as reliable repeatability in the symptom as you are describing. However that being said it would not be a bad thing to try disconnecting and reseating the plugs on your SJB to see if that helps.

Sorry but I am unaware of anything else. Diagnostic test equipment beyond a handheld code scanner would be the next step.

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
Put your key next to your window and try the same thing.
If it works perfectly, it quite possible your sjb is no bueno!

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
The fob receiver is actually in the trunk, not inside the cabin.

Doesn't make a difference shooting right at the window or the trunk or anywhere. I could be 100ft away or 1ft, exact same result. It's getting the signal just can't process a second signal in a reasonable amount of time.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
It sounds like the ability to accept commands has gotten tied to the perimeter lighting feature or that timer. Have you tried disabling perimeter lighting? The procedure is in the owner manual under 'Locks and Security' (I shut my car's perimeter lighting off 9 years ago).

If that doesn't work, perhaps the SJB can be reflashed as opposed to being replaced.

Norm

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
It sounds like the ability to accept commands has gotten tied to the perimeter lighting feature or that timer. Have you tried disabling perimeter lighting? The procedure is in the owner manual under 'Locks and Security' (I shut my car's perimeter lighting off 9 years ago).

If that doesn't work, perhaps the SJB can be reflashed as opposed to being replaced.

Norm

This fixed it!!! Doors unlock and trunk opens whenever I want it to. Gonna just keep the perimeter lighting off since I retrofitted factory HID's, save the ballests. Thanks!!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back