6R80 in my 05

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You should look into the 4R with the Baumann controller. I think the name changed recently. It is probably the best compromise you will find. It retains lock up and automatic operation and can shift by rpm or speed or by push button.

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
You should look into the 4R with the Baumann controller. I think the name changed recently. It is probably the best compromise you will find. It retains lock up and automatic operation and can shift by rpm or speed or by push button.
That's what I have now.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I'm not asking a dumb question, but won't you run into a similar issue with the 6R80 once you are out of 4th gear? To the best of my knowledge you don't really want to run high power through any overdrive gears no matter what the trans.

Wouldn't your best bet be to just change the gearing in the rear of your car? I know it will hurt your 60' on the launch but you will be able to wind out 3rd much longer.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I'm not asking a dumb question, but won't you run into a similar issue with the 6R80 once you are out of 4th gear? To the best of my knowledge you don't really want to run high power through any overdrive gears no matter what the trans.

Wouldn't your best bet be to just change the gearing in the rear of your car? I know it will hurt your 60' on the launch but you will be able to wind out 3rd much longer.

The 6R has way better ratios that allow a lower rear ratio that can further be reduced with the overdrives for driving. The 6R is the best automatic that Ford has ever made. It's hellastrong.

More axle ratio, if you can hook it, will help the 60'.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
The 6R has way better ratios that allow a lower rear ratio that can further be reduced with the overdrives for driving. The 6R is the best automatic that Ford has ever made. It's hellastrong.

More axle ratio, if you can hook it, will help the 60'.

I know it has not been done yet to my knowledge but how much coin we talkin here? Also going to have the same issue with the stock speedo I assume?

The FB is just too much money for a 4r70w imo.. I think I would rather have a better trans if paying that much

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it will not be cheap once it's figured out. But it will be popular because the ratios are so good and its so damn strong in stock form.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
I personally think the 6R80 ratios suck. 1st gear is way too deep. If I was swapping anything different into a street car, the 4L80E is the clear winner. Big time strength via all the aftermarket parts availability.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The great thing about the 6R ratios is not the rations themselves but the final ratios they deliver when paired with the 3.31 axle ratio. The 3.31 is the most efficient ratio Ford has. It consumes the least amount of power to operate.

With 4.17/2.34/1.82/1.14/.89/.69 ratios x 3.31 gears gets you 13.80/7.75/6.02/3.77/2.95/2.28

A T5 needs 3.90-4.10's to achieve the same final ratios. And they can't deliver the overdrive and resultant fuel economy.

A T5 with 4.10's widely accepted. Yet a 6R with 3.31's is not.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score

After seeing the other comments on the steep 1st gear, it may require both swaps to get what I want. I have 4:10s now and cross the line at about 7200 rpms with the 4r70w. I have some 3:73s here I could test out. They will never make 200 mph though. Maybe a 6r80 and some 3:55s or 3:31s would be the best of both worlds. That is my thinking anyhow.

crownaviation

Reaction score
Yeah, 3.31 would likely be the winner and they are cheap. I suppose the 3.55 are cheap also as you can barely give them away. IIRC you have your VCT locked out also Billy? What do your torque curves look like?

Where can one find a 6R? I really hate doing things twice and a 4r now and 6r later would really suck. Not looking for Texas mile stuff, and don't go to the track near as much as I drive it on the street. If that was the case I would already have a th400

What exactly is different on the 6r and what all would need to be done to mate it up? Custom bell or something? I have never actually seen one. I see they have them for the 09 trucks with a 4.6 and 5.4.. The trans looks massive compared to the 5r

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Yeah, 3.31 would likely be the winner and they are cheap. I suppose the 3.55 are cheap also as you can barely give them away. I make a crap load of torque down low too.. so that would be an advantage too. IIRC you have your VCT locked out also Billy?

Where can one find a 6R? I really hate doing things twice and a 4r now and 6r later would really suck. Not looking for Texas mile stuff, and don't go to the track near as much as I drive it on the street. If that was the case I would already have a th400

I will most likely buy a new unit from Ford if I do it. Vct is locked but I have a 3800 stall.

One thing to keep in mind is, the only reason I am thinking of the swap is high speed pulls. I can run 140 in 3rd as I set now. I am ready for more though. Lets just say, it doesn't make my hands shake like it used to after a pass at the track.

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
I will most likely buy a new unit from Ford if I do it. Vct is locked but I have a 3800 stall.

One thing to keep in mind is, the only reason I am thinking of the swap is high speed pulls. I can run 140 in 3rd as I set now. I am ready for more though. Lets just say, it doesn't make my hands shake like it used to after a pass at the track.

Billie if you are looking to go fast as in top speed I would think a manual transmission is the way to go. Even if you put a 6R in you will still be limited to 1:1 or fairly close to it in in fourth gear. If you are planning to go 200 mph you will need to use overdrive or have alot less rear gear. You will need to spin the engine 7500 rpm to go 185 with a 27 inch tire and 1:1 gearing and 3.31 rear gears, 3.08's will get you in the 190's and 2.79's will be enough for 215 mph at 7500 of course thatsvall theoretical as it doesn't take into account drag.

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
I would love to see the 6r worked out for our 3v

I would like to run the mile as well at some point

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
I don't understand why the no OD comments on the 6R. I've used all 6 gears on the mile before.

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't understand why the no OD comments on the 6R. I've used all 6 gears on the mile before.

I think most of us are going on experience of earlier Ford transmissions that haven't held up well to overdrive being used with high horsepower. Billies car already made over 800 rwhp and with the addition of 5 more pounds of boost and E85 will likely be over 1000 rwhp which is quite a bit different situation than your high 400 rwhp 5.0 car. Also if I remember correctly,didn't Ken B break something in the transmission at the mile this Spring?

crownaviation

Reaction score
And how about torque multiplication? How much abuse can one take in stock trim? How many people are getting 1000hp to the ground with one that has held up? Wonder what all they had to do to beef it up? And are parts available or would it be sending out shafts for treatment?

Think you are right Billy. The 4r is tried and true for my setup..

For yours I think you could be on the right path too with the 6r. If anyone can do it I am sure you could make it happen

Last edited:

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
Ken B break something in the transmission at the mile this Spring?

Last fall, but that was after the high speed spin off the runway.

I think the general attitude is to do high speed runs in the 1:1 gear, so all of the planetary gears are locked to the sun gears during sustained high speeds. But the 6R doesn't have a 1:1 so you're SOL with that anyway, you've always got at least one planetary working. I've made a lot of mile passes in this car, used all 6 gears with the 4:30 axle, and still use 5 with the 3:31. I was hoping to use only 4, but it ran faster than I thought it would, so the last 1/4 mile was in 5th this past spring. This illustrates another problem with the no 1:1, with the 1.14:1 4th I need a 3.15 gear back in it to run 180, and that's with my 29" tire on there. If I went down to a normal sized tire, 3.08 is too much gear, and the big jump to 2.73 isn't enough gear. More RPM would fix all this, but the automatic PCM won't do it, I can't get one over 7900, and have yet to see anyone else do it either. The engine isn't anywhere near done at 7900, sucks that the PCM quits.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but Billy, I think it would be cheaper for you in the long run to put a 9 inch rear in the car. It would give you the added benefit of a stronger rear and you could run 2 complete center sections. One with gearing for the strip and one for the Mile. It isn't a big deal to swap out center sections on a 9 inch.

I think this would be a much better way to go than trying to make the 6R work, with your power levels and cheaper also.

Earl

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but Billy, I think it would be cheaper for you in the long run to put a 9 inch rear in the car. It would give you the added benefit of a stronger rear and you could run 2 complete center sections. One with gearing for the strip and one for the Mile. It isn't a big deal to swap out center sections on a 9 inch.

I think this would be a much better way to go than trying to make the 6R work, with your power levels and cheaper also.

Earl

I was thinking this when I was going to bed last night. Lots of options I guess.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back