Man Without a Country?

durr4456

forum member
Reaction score
I'm so glad my cousin does our inspections. Granted we don't have emissions. But I can do just about anything I want haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad my cousin does our inspections. Granted we don't have emissions. But I can do just about anything I want haha

You have no idea how nice that is....

durr4456

forum member
Reaction score
It's very convenient haha. Doesn't even charge me.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score

Yeah that must be nice. I just had to swap my OE h-pipe to get mine inspected a few months ago.

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
I love living in a state with no testing ever. Cool build.

How could no one have mentioned Marc S' car? It fits this mold as well.

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
I love living in a state with no testing ever. Cool build.

How could no one have mentioned Marc S' car? It fits this mold as well.

Isn't that the car with a Nascar motor in it? It's the same only different. It's a purpose-built race car, where mine is retaining as much of the accessory functions as possible. That makes the swap a bit more difficult because I can't just rip shit out "because race car".

I found a guy selling a video discuissing how he did his 351w swap into a S197, and he did things like using a sawzall to cut off heater and A/C fittings off the firewall, used a hacksaw to remove most of the ECU wiring harness, and replaced the OEM fuel tank with a trunk-mounted 10-gallon fuel cell. Since I want to retain at least the heater (and possibly the A/C), and I need to retain at least some of the ECU harness, and I intend to keep the OEM fuel tank/pump setup, I can't do stuff like that.

My biggest questions involved keeping the instrument cluster, doing something about the power steering, converting to a return-type fuel system and to a lesser extent header selection. I THINK I've resolved those potential issues, but I won't know for sure until I actually start the swap.

The easiest part of the whole thing is actually getting the motor in the car, thanks to BMR. I'm pretty sure that MarcS had to go a different way with most of that stuff, but I've never seen a build thread for the car, so I'm not sure.

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
UPS delivered my valve covers yesterday ("427 Cobra" ribbed from FRPP). I'm expecting the air cleaner and/or fuel pressure regulator today, and I'll be ordering the shortblock parts this weekend.

I think I thought of another potential issue as well. My car has (I think) vacuum associeted power brakes (no hydro-boost because of the EPAS). If that is indeed the case, where do I get the vacuum feed from? The carb is going to be a 4150 holley style (from QuickFuel) on an Edelbrock Air Gap intake, and I was intending to use the throttle-body base plate fitting for the PCV hose. Most of you would say "add a spacer", but I think I'm already going to be VERY close on hood clearance as it is. If I have to use a spacer, I think I'm gonna have to fall back to the regular RPM intake (1-inch shorter than Air Gap). That's gonna be a bummer if I have to do that. The problem is that I won't know if the hood clearance is OK for sure until the motor is actually in the car, with the manifold, spacer, carb, and air cleaner installed. :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back