Broken followers?

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
Is anyone here running the PAC nitrated springs? There create a higher seat pressure then the regular PAC springs and I'm using them in my build. I figured with running the F1R at max psi pump gas can handle and running it up to 7k I would need the stiffer springs.

So my questions are, will the stock followers be more likely to break? Has anyone here had broken followers and what was the cause?

I car was started for 3 secs and all hell broke loose.... Follower broke in half and bent four valves. :-(

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Is anyone here running the PAC nitrated springs? There create a higher seat pressure then the regular PAC springs and I'm using them in my build. I figured with running the F1R at max psi pump gas can handle and running it up to 7k I would need the stiffer springs.

So my questions are, will the stock followers be more likely to break? Has anyone here had broken followers and what was the cause?

I car was started for 3 secs and all hell broke loose.... Follower broke in half and bent four valves. :-(

Ahhh fuck.

How much lift you dealing with? Did the spring fail? Pic of follower and spring?

I have read a few posts here and there about very similar failures in other motors. A few on initial startup even. And I know those are not cheap springs either.

You have the outside diameter of the spring? were they contacting the cam tower?

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
The lift is mild at 525 intake and exhaust specifically to not stress the valve train too much.

I can't answer the other questions, the car is at true street in pieces

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
The lift is mild at 525 intake and exhaust specifically to not stress the valve train too much.

I can't answer the other questions, the car is at true street in pieces

Granted none of these so far are from mod motors that I can tell but google pac nitride spring failure...

Plus.. comp evidently does not want to address this so far but.. Ron at Fox Lake advised me he did not want me to use the comp springs due to their large spring diameter. He said the 26125 (and even the 26113) are too damn large diameter. He stated they can and DO contact the surrounding head area the springs sit in etc. He mentioned that puts a bind on the spring and entire assembly. He said he "would" install them only if they machine down a few areas which he said is a PITA and prefers not to. He turned me on to a Manley spring with same rates that has a smaller OD and that is now what they use/recommend.

Sucks to hear you are having these issues after all the time/money dropped in Sinner.. She will come around just give her some time.

Last edited:

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
From my reading and talking to others the PAC springs are supposed to fit better then comp and that's why I went with PAC but I don't know the measurements.

Thank you for the input

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
How many broken followers? The four bent valves, are those the followers that broke. One side of the engine only or both sides? Sounds more like it lost cam timing IMOP.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, piston to valve contact, which resulted in the broken followers.

On a related note, I have had excellent luck with Manley Nextek springs.

Last edited:

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
No,
Good Luck lol
I remember a run of bad Manley valve springs years ago.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No,
Good Luck lol
I remember a run of bad Manley valve springs years ago.

Oh yeah, so do I.

I already ran the Manley Nextek springs, they worked great with a titanium retainer, titanium 2.35" intake valve, and 7600 rpm every pass. 330lbs on the seat, over 1,000 lbs open.

My new motor will be running a titanium 2.45" valve, 400lbs on the seat with 1100lbs open, close to 1" in lift cam. Their Nextek line I have always had great luck with.

Anyway--for a motor to run for only 3 seconds, then all hell breaks loose like described in the first post, its got to be P to V contact. I have never heard of a spring breaking and 4 bent valves after 3 seconds of run time? That sounds like some kind of valve train interference to me.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Oh yeah, so do I.

I already ran the Manley Nextek springs, they worked great with a titanium retainer, titanium 2.35" intake valve, and 7600 rpm every pass. 330lbs on the seat, over 1,000 lbs open.

My new motor will be running a titanium 2.45" valve, 400lbs on the seat with 1100lbs open, close to 1" in lift cam. Their Nextek line I have always had great luck with.

Anyway--for a motor to run for only 3 seconds, then all hell breaks loose like described in the first post, its got to be P to V contact. I have never heard of a spring breaking and 4 bent valves after 3 seconds of run time? That sounds like some kind of valve train interference to me.

What's the price tag on those titanium valves and how high can you rev a motor like yours with titanium parts?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Victory titanium valves, $132 a piece for the 2.45". The exhaust I can get for a deal because they are only 1.85" lol.

Hoping to make power to 7800 and redline to 8200 (through the lights) on this new one. The old one peaked at 7200 and dropped off by 7600.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Victory titanium valves, $132 a piece for the 2.45". The exhaust I can get for a deal because they are only 1.85" lol.

Hoping to make power to 7800 and redline to 8200 (through the lights) on this new one. The old one peaked at 7200 and dropped off by 7600.

It's a good thing you only need 8 of each, lol.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score

Yeah...looks something like this.......LOL

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
On my motor it looked like one follower broke and jumped around and caused valves to bend, there was NO evidence on the piston of any contact at all.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All four valves bent were on the same bank then? Were they all intakes / exhaust? I am telling you that just doesn't sound right. And how would a broken follower bend 4 valves in 3 seconds? Anyhow I think you need to verify cam timing at the very least. You already have the heads off? Bent valves and broken follower sounds very much like valve train interference, especially for it to happen so quickly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back