Broken followers?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For one broken follower I think that makes sense (possibly installed wrong, which is why it broke almost immediately on start up), but then to also have 4 bent valves, all on the same bank, is telling a different story.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
maybe they dry fired the engine with no oil pressure and lifters not pumped up, causing some of the followers to fall offpartially, get lodged and break when the piston hit the valves. dunno , I'm just taking stabs but I would like to see pics of the pistons because there is no way I would believe you had 4 bent valves with no piston contact, ain't gonna happen and if you are going on their word on this then you probably deserve what ever you get from them. You are getting some very sound advice from experience on this forum, take it and use it. my landscaper always did me right until he ran into my truck and denied it even with my paint marks on his truck. just sayin.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Dammit...Those Paschals are a time bomb. Bought 'Em but couldn't bring myself to put them in after looking at them.

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
I'm also going to say there was a cam timing issue. That's about the only thing that can cause that. You were told it was double checked, but I don't think that was the case. The only thing that can bend a valve is from the valve being open while the piston comes to the top. On startup, the only thing that can cause that is improper cam timing, or too much cam lift with little/no notch in the piston.

You said above that it doesn't matter what it was, it's getting fixed now. Well don't you think it does matter? You don't want to do this all over again right? I'd find out exactly what caused it before continuing.

It only doesn't matter now because there is no way to know what happened and everything is apart vas before everything was torn down we looked at the pistons and everything was unmarked.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
It only doesn't matter now because there is no way to know what happened and everything is apart vas before everything was torn down we looked at the pistons and everything was unmarked.

Were the bent valves all exhaust valves? They put the piston in upside down?

Also need to check the guides. Likely got damaged also

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
it would help if you went by and took some pics to post up before they sealed it back up. I'm wondering if they dry fired it and made that chain jump a tooth

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Were the bent valves all exhaust valves? They put the piston in upside down?

Also need to check the guides. Likely got damaged also

That would do it if the cams have enough lift.

it would help if you went by and took some pics to post up before they sealed it back up. I'm wondering if they dry fired it and made that chain jump a tooth

As long as the newer plastic tensioners were used that's not going to happen. They have a lot of spring tension even when dry.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
My broken follower did not result in a bent valve or any visible ptv contact. Manley stainless valves. Lash adjuster and followers were brand new from frpp.. I picked up my heads today and everything checked out great.

Last edited:

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely something way off with yours and I hope they are taking care if you on that one.

crownaviation

Reaction score
Definitely something way off with yours and I hope they are taking care if you on that one.

$inner... I would hope so. should cost you nothing but a "thanks for fixing it". THey should hand you the keys and a "please accept our apology but hope we made it right.. because we value all the business you have brought us".

I know you dropped a ton of coin there too. I fuck something up I fix it. The parts are cheap. Follower(s), four valves, phaser bolts and gaskets (hopefully not the valve guides too). That won't break their shop and certainly the labor should be of no mention on this... Sometimes it is hard doing business with friends but there needs to be a line somewhere

I would almost want to inspect the tensioners, chain, crank gear, phaser gear, chain guides and pins. That is a ton of load on that stuff that was never designed for.

Last edited:

crownaviation

Reaction score
Hey bro.. we are not trying to bash the guys that did the work. We totally have your best interest in mind. Part of being human is making mistakes and we all do no matter our talent or experience. These posts are just our view and opinions that are completely detached from emotion and outside friendships... and with that there is still a lot of info we do not have so don't take our speculation to heart... that is all it is at this point.

Hope you get it all sorted out, hate to see you give up after all the effort you have put into this project... we like you hangin around on here!

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not taking offense to anything, just asking for input.

The shop didn't assemble the long block, someone else did but the shop did pull the timing cover to check timing before the install just to be sure. The person that assembled the long block knows what he's doing so if it was a assembly issue I hate to think two guys missed it.

Two intake vas two exhaust valves bent. The machine shop said said that only those 4 valves where messed up.

I left out that the guy that ported my heads did a great job on the port but must have used a DA sander to the heads because they were wavy and fucked. So it's good this happened because this motor would have been fucked on 17psi

crownaviation

Reaction score
I'm not taking offense to anything, just asking for input.

The shop didn't assemble the long block, someone else did but the shop did pull the timing cover to check timing before the install just to be sure. The person that assembled the long block knows what he's doing so if it was a assembly issue I hate to think two guys missed it.

Two intake vas two exhaust valves bent. The machine shop said said that only those 4 valves where messed up.

I left out that the guy that ported my heads did a great job on the port but must have used a DA sander to the heads because they were wavy and fucked. So it's good this happened because this motor would have been fucked on 17psi

Holy silver linings!!! yeah well if anything that was something good that came out of it.

How long before they are ready to install it?

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
I'd love to see pics of said wavy heads.

That's an odd way of saying it.....

The "said wavy heads" have been corrected and the machine shop took off ten thousands I believe.

Motor should be assembled next week and the car the week after.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
haha yea I'm just would like to see what they looked like. Have you seen the steps of the ports in the ford racing 3v heads. They aren't smooth by any means.

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
No the porting looked amazing and I'll get pics. I thought you meant of the even deck. The heads weren't flat and had bad low spots between a couple cylinders.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That will raise your compression a little bit. Cometic makes custom thickness gaskets where you can get back to where you were. I know on mine they make everything from .040 to .080 and everything in-between.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back