October 2014 COTM: Bud

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Bud10.jpg~original

Bud Sell's 2012 Twin Turbo Mustang GT

Can you believe this car can run in the 8.2Xs anywhere in the country? Whether it's in Florida, Kentucky or in 7800 DA at Bandimere in Denver? Fuck I can't either. But it does. Bud has created a monster which shows what the Coyote is indeed capable of . He didn't do it alone though. No, he has had help from the best in the industry. Fluid Turbo Concepts, Lund Racing, Power By The Hour, Overkill Racecars, Hutch Transmission Service, and RWR Motorsports. His friends Jon (Slagburn) and Clinton (Clinton2003) helped with building the car and helps Bud at the track. So it really was a team effort from many different people. Lets take a closer look at this monster of a car.

Bud5.jpg~original

Nothing indicating the 8.2X performance from the outside other then a parachute and some drag radials.

So the car really looks basically stock from the outside. Sure, he had some drag wheels and some drag radials, like most 11 and 10 second cars have. Wait....a parachute? What does he need that for?- you may be asking yourself. Well if you are really curious you could line up against Bud like this guy and get the paint sucked off your car.

So, how is this accomplished? Back in 2012 Bud had a couple of different combos, a TVS and then a 2.9 whipple setup. But Bud got the urge to build for a local heads up racing organization and wanted a car that could turn consistent 9.50s. He elected to go with a Fluid Turbo Concepts twin turbo setup, and in September 2013, right off the trailer, he turned a 9.03. With only one full pass on the car he then went to the NMRA World Finals in October of 2013 where he qualified 3rd with a 8.84. With a Lund tune, he eventually pushed this combo to an 8.31 @ 165mph......on a stock block. Yes, a stock Coyote block, stock heads, and the base Fluid Turbo Concepts kit with 60mm turbos. Amazing.

Bud1-2.jpg~original

So knowing that the stock block's days were numbered, and wanting to push the car harder, Bud installed some Darton sleeves. He also swapped out the Precision 60mm twin turbos for some Precision 6266s. This is where the car stands today. The goal now is a 7.99 @ 170 mph. Well, he already has the mph goal, now its just getting the 60' sorted out for the ET goal. So far his best 60' back east was a 1.252 but had a "disappointing" 1.371 60 foot on his current record run. With that in mind, the potential of a 7 second pass is definitely there.

Bud4.jpg~original

Bud3.jpg~original

Drag radial doing some work...

MOD LIST:

Engine:
All runs up to the 8.300 were on a stock head/cams built longblock by L&M Engines. Manley I-beam Rods, Diamond pistons
Now rebuilt by MPR with Darton sleeves and same guts, ended up at 10.43 to 1 for compression.
Fluid Turbo Concepts base kit with Twin 60mm's. Just upgraded to 6266's that we have not tested yet
Eboost2 controller
Tuned by Lund Racing
Stock Heads
Stock intake cams, FRPP M-6550-M50GTE Exhaust Cams (new on this last rebuild as well)
Boss Manifold
MMR Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers
ARP bits
ATI Damper
MSD 2-step

Transmission:
1.80 first gear powerglide w/ brake built by Hutch Transmission Service
Reid SFI case and bellhousing
Was running a Branting Industries converter, just swapped out to a PTC unit
PST Aluminum Driveshaft

Rearend:
Strange 9" CJ housing
Yukon thru-bolt aluminum center
3.50 gears
Spool
35 spline axles
Strange brakes
JPC springs
QA1 SA shocks
TRZ anti-roll bar
Steeda LCA brackets
Overkill Racing LCA
Racecraft UCA and Mount
JPC Parachute mount, Simpson Chute

Front:
2008 CJ Front springs
Strange SA front struts
BMR K-member
BMR A-arms
BMR Radiator Suppt
Strange brakes
Flaming River manual rack
JPC Linelock

Wheels/Tires:
Champion Speed series wheels 15x10 rear 15x3.5 front
Hoosier 27x4.5
MT Radial Pro 275, sometimes Hoosier stiffwall 28x10.5's

Interior:
MMR Fiberglass Dash
Kirkey seats
10pt Wolf Racecraft cage/net welded in by Overkill Racecars
Scott Rod Fab aluminum bulkhead and package tray
Battery relocated with CJ battery Tray
Precision Performance Products shifter

Fuelsystem:
Dad's custom 3 gallon fuel cell and 5 gallon ice tank combo
Weldon 2345A fuel pump and filters
Fore Rails
ID2000's
Braided Teflon fuel lines (-10 feed and return, 8 rails)

Lots of weight reduction, car weighs 3250 with me in it with the radials and full fuel/water tank.

Future plans (wishlist currently):
CF hood, doors, trunklid
Optic Armor poly front and rear glasses
Front stub it
25.3 cage

Bud2.jpg~original

The view 99% of people will see when racing Bud at any track in the country.

So now Bud's new goal is to break in the 7's. And to do that he has already called on many people that were mentioned at the beginning of this article. Bud knows he could have never done this by himself, and with that in mind he would like to thank:

Fluid Turbo Concepts
Lund Racing
Power by the Hour
Jon (Slagburn)
Clinton (clinton2003)
Overkill Racecars
Hutch Transmission Service

Lets see what the new race season in 2015 brings for Bud Sell's twin turbo mustang. 7 second ETs on the way for sure.....but how deep into the 7s is the question....

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bull Sell--congrats on being October 2014 COTM from the entire S197 team.

.......there are 4 other cars where I am waiting on pictures...you know who you are....:beerdrink:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats Bud!! Well done!

Enjoy!!

durr4456

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, I feel like this would be a decent place to ask.

1) congrats man that's awesome.

2) How is the parachute packed? Like are there line stows and such or what? I've asked tons of people online but nobody can answer haha.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you want me to send you directions? There is a spring underneath, you fold it in a certain way and use a string that is fed through all four holes of the flap, and you pull on it to compress it. Then you slid the end of the cable through all 4 eyelets.

durr4456

forum member
Reaction score
Ah so it's spring loaded.

I was mainly curious, using a parachute more times than anybody else on this forum lol. Wasn't sure exactly how it was packed

Sure, directions would be cool to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is #5.

And, like I said before, I refuse to do write-ups on cars without good pics. Not gonna do it. Waiting on 4 cars right now.

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody, and thanks Paul and S197 for the write up. It really is crazy that this iteration of the build was for 9.50's and here we are at 8.20's wanting to knock down the door to the 7's.

I often say we've been lucky with this build and that is why it turned out so well, but reality is when you work with good people and good products, good things happen. I appreciate everybody that has helped on this build, from those mentioned in the writeup to those on forums, vendors, etc that all helped with knowledge and good parts.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
Car is awesome and makes me even less impatient for the Fliud twin kit release.

Question though, at what point(power, ET, etc.) did you remove the 6r80 tranny?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back