Home Security Systems

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the Iris system from Lowes and I installed a Lorex 4 camera system that is expandable to 8. I have 500 watt halogen dusk to dawn lights tied in with double led flood light (more precise targeted light) at the corners of my house. The Iris system is nice and very expandable down to being able to do a dog door and water overflow monitor. The camera system was on clearance for 179.00, it is no top of the line system but works for what I need. The lights keep the cameras from going into night vision black and white mode.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone find a decent system that you can access wifi but is NOT a paid monitor system? Basically I can arm/disarm, and receive notification if alarm goes off but it doesn't have someone calling police, etc. 2 reasons, I'm cheap, and I don't want false alarms going to police because I was too busy to answer phone call from service company. I'd rather spend money upfront on new system for doors/windows/motion, then pay the ~$40 monthly

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd rather spend money upfront on new system for doors/windows/motion, then pay the ~$40 monthly

smaller local alarm co's may have much lower rates, I pay $19/mo for monitoring, I did spend up front on the install, like $2200 IIRC, for all access points monitored, one motion and 2 key pads, all hard wired with 90% new home runs to the alarm box (the house was partially wired when we bought it)

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Be very cautious w/WiFi systems...easy to hack. How do I know, it's my profession (Cyber Security). :D

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Previous owner of our house had ADT. The service is disconnected from the call center, but will still say stuff like "Front Door Open" ETC. Still haven't decided if we are going to reconnect the service.

So now the primary security system is S&W lol.

JimC

Reaction score
We are looking at getting our first security system. Closing on our new place in North Carolina at the end of July, but won't be moving until the fall (so my wife can escape Michigan winter while I am staying behind and working for a while longer).

We know that the security system in place now works - our agent couldn't find the security code when we went to look at it the first time so we triggered the system. An operator came on over an intercom and started asking us questions and wanted the security word.

The system is a CPI Security and has
[FONT=&quot]1 keypad[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Two way communication: if the alarm goes off central monitoring station will come over the speaker in your home (already experienced that!)
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]InTouch App: remote access to control your system while you are away from the home[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 motion detector [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 glass break detectors [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 door sensors [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 window sensors [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2nd floor smoke detector: allows you to receive a discount on your home owners insurance [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2nd floor carbon monoxide detector[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 HD interior camera [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 HD outdoor camera
And we can add an electronic door lock with camera for no cost. Service runs $50 a month for monitoring.

We are also talking to ADT to get pricing for their service - probably the Pulse. But they haven't given us any pricing yet - just that equipment and installation will be $0. So what are others seeing for the ADT system? I see one person in this thread commented about the monitoring that they see - which is leading my wife to say "the CPI is in place already and we know that it works"

[/FONT]

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
So got a camera system installed with 4 cameras. Don't ever look at the damn thing. I guess it makes the wife feel warm and fuzzy though.

IMejia

Reaction score
So got a camera system installed with 4 cameras.

Which installation plan did you go with?

I've heard its cheaper to just get one of the stand alone units, instead of paying for a subscription, when you'll hardly ever use the thing.

I was contemplating ordering surveillance cameras soon, but I'm split on what to get.

It seems like this list here has some good ideas: https://unitedlocksmith.net/blog/15-best-security-cameras-that-are-simple-and-easy-to-set-up.

What are your thoughts on this?

The Arlo camera was listed on there, is that the one you ended up getting?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back