Hot rod cams install went wrong, need info.

Keckjr

Reaction score
Well i got the cover off and with the key on the crank at 6 o'clock both timing marks are off no matter how many times I turn it so its definitely off.. as far as the valve is concerned I'm taking a boroscope to each cylinder and looking for any shiny spots on any pistons before I pressurize the cylinders and go from there.. and of course the lobe on the cam is junk so now I have to find someone who regrind cams that does good work and won't kill me on the price.. this whole swap has been a nightmare.. just hoping to get it back together this week

Keckjr

Reaction score
Also I don't know of anyone who has a spring compressor for these 3 valves so I'll have to buy that too.. they're about 125 in itself..

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
if you are sure you are going to use the spring compressor, check freedomracing first. they have it.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I'm actually buying one today. I would say I'd rent it to ya but it'll be probably a week before I have it available

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
That's because it takes two complete revolutions of the crank on a 4-stroke engine to get "back to where you started". Turn it another 360 degrees and it should all line up perfectly.

Well i got the cover off and with the key on the crank at 6 o'clock both timing marks are off no matter how many times I turn it so its definitely off.. as far as the valve is concerned I'm taking a boroscope to each cylinder and looking for any shiny spots on any pistons before I pressurize the cylinders and go from there.. and of course the lobe on the cam is junk so now I have to find someone who regrind cams that does good work and won't kill me on the price.. this whole swap has been a nightmare.. just hoping to get it back together this week

It takes about 76 full revolutions for the timing marks to line up again.

www.deltacam.com can rebuild and regrind your cam.

Keckjr

Reaction score
I've already got the otc brand 3 valve spring compressor on the way for tomorrow through my work and if I don't end up using it then i don't have have to keep it and can send it back. The scope showed no signs on piston to valve contact on the piston itself even though I couldn't turn it to see the valve itself. So I'm going to try to pressurize it and get the lock back in and maybe just go ahead and check the guide. I got the cam out and sent to the machine shop to be assessed. And are you sure BruceH? The only reason i ask is because Ive talked to L&M and several other bigger companies and haven't found one person that says that they have the master set for grinding those specific 3 valve cams and that it would cost them several hundred dollars to make them leaving me at around an average of $360 to fix one intake lobe. I told my local shop to magnaflux the current one and see if they can make it work. If not then I definitely am going to have to find some way to make this work because I was already over my head on the cams, so this is going to be interesting.

Keckjr

Reaction score
I've already got the otc brand 3 valve spring compressor on the way for tomorrow through my work and if I don't end up using it then i don't have have to keep it and can send it back. The scope showed no signs on piston to valve contact on the piston itself even though I couldn't turn it to see the valve itself. So I'm going to try to pressurize it and get the lock back in and maybe just go ahead and check the guide. I got the cam out and sent to the machine shop to be assessed. And are you sure BruceH? The only reason i ask is because Ive talked to L&M and several other bigger companies and haven't found one person that says that they have the master set for grinding those specific 3 valve cams and that it would cost them several hundred dollars to make them leaving me at around an average of $360 to fix one intake lobe. I told my local shop to magnaflux the current one and see if they can make it work. If not then I definitely am going to have to find some way to make this work because I was already over my head on the cams, so this is going to be interesting.

Keckjr

Reaction score
As you can see when the follower stopped the cam the key in the phaser literally cut its own path. So now I have to find a REALLY GOOD tig welder to weld the spot between the oil galley and the keyway and then have the machine shop cut it back down to keep from having an oil pressure problem on that phaser.

Attachments

• IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 27

Keckjr

Reaction score
Haha the crap I get myself into.. so it probably was in time until the cam decided to stop and the engine kept going..

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

Call them and talk to them. Did you visit the website? http://deltacam.com/ They have fixed other forum members cams. Matching the profile shouldn't be hard at all since there are other lobes to copy measurements from already on the cam.

Keckjr

Reaction score
Im fairly positive that now that the lobe is cleaned up that Im in the clear as far as the lobe goes, it actually looks very good for what it went through after being cleaned up. Really my only feats to conquer now is getting the nose welded and reground which can easily be done locally and checking my valve and guide and getting that back together if all is okay.. once that's done it's time for timing and reassembly :) should have the new phaser, spring compressor, lash adjuster, roller follower, and phaser bolts tomorrow and taking the cam to be welded on my lunch break if all works out. Is there a way to tell if the driver side cam is in time without pulling the chain and resetting it at this point? I know BruceH said that it had to make around 76 revolutions to make the chain line back up. Just wondering what my options are or if I have to start from scratch and do both banks..??

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
so the lobe with the busted follower is good?

then how the hell did the cam just stop and get the key to tear into the snout of the cam?

Keckjr

Reaction score
Well it's far from perfect BUT I have complete faith that it won't give me any problems.. it's been magnafluxed for cracks and checked out good and the lobe has been polished to remove any chances of a roller catching anything.. besides there's only a slight amount of surface area affected that the roller touches and it's in the direction of the roller travel. the machinist I use builds airplane engines on a daily basis and has for 30yrs and was very confident that I wouldn't have any problems out of it so I'm going to run it once I get the snout fixed.

Keckjr

Reaction score
It did have an enormous amount of pressure on it but the phaser ended up being the weak link even with the phaser bolt tightened to spec.. honestly I'm glad it and the cam gave slightly, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should lock time the phaser bolt or not with the bolt probably being tensioned more than it should have once the phaser turned on the cam around 100 extra degrees before the follower gave. The threads APPEAR to be good as new so idk if its a bad idea to use loctite or not..

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure if fixed, but saw this and i had same issue with my cam install with the detroits. timing was off and did the same thing. it some how slipped a tooth on the crank. Took all apart and reset timing and good as new and put down 340rwhp and 330rwtq

Keckjr

Reaction score
I WISH that was my situation.. lol but it's what I got for not inspecting it closer or turning by hand a few revs before starting it.. if I had done it slow the follower might even have reseated itself instead of flipping around and causing all of this. Never know.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back