Stripping Off Wax

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My Mustang turned 5 in February. I keep this thing clean like it's my religion, but I seal/wax it twice a year at a minimum, and I should probably strip all that stuff off before I do my annual spring detailing this year.

So, what's the "proper" way to strip the wax off the paint? Technically, dish soap would work, but I've heard that it will dry out the clear coat.

I've also heard something about using rubbing alcohol. Personally, I'd rather use a car wash soap specifically designed for wax removal (if that is such a thing).

So, what is the preferred or "correct" way to remove wax from the paint?

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
Dish soap then an isopropyl run down should do it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

06SN197

Livin. L-I-V-I-N
Reaction score
Dish soap then an isopropyl run down should do it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I'm no expert but when I googled the question what you said is what I read. Seems dish soap does the trick followed by isopropyl

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, I clay bar the car every spring.

Looks like the preferred method, according to Autogeek, is to wash the car with soap, rinse, use the Paint Prep to strip the wax, rinse, clay bar, polish (if necessary), then seal/wax.

2011/5.0

Reaction score
I don't think he meant the wash and gloss,the citrus wash at 1 oz per gallon will

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When it comes to choosing a car wash, the options seem almost endless. One of my personal favorites, which I use on every car I work on is Chemical Guys Citrus Wash. For an inexpensive option, this premium shampoo packs quite the punch. Depending on the ratio used while washing, it can be used for simply a maintenance wash when mixed at a ratio of 1-oz. (full cap) per 5 gallons. When mixed at a stronger ratio of 1-oz. per gallon, it will strip wax and other contaminants from the surface leaving a nice clean contaminant free surface.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemical-Guys-M31/Citrus-Wash-P410/16-oz-S1/#product-description

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
THAT'S THE STUFF I WAS LOOKING FOR! I can't find it on CG's website anymore!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

2011/5.0

Reaction score
It's petty strong stuff,I gone to 1oz per 2 gallons for wax removal, at 1 oz per gallon it will turn some of the door seals ect whiteish if you don't wipe the seals off right away after you rinse

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
I have used this stuff for years both professionally on all of our emergency vehicles and at home. Wash your car as normal with whatever delicate wash you normally use. Don't use anything harsh as it dries out your trim and plastics. Dry the car. Get a clean microfiber and wet it down with the 3M spray. Wipe down a panel at a time. Wipe off residue with a clean microfiber. Not only will it remove the wax, it easily dissolves tar too. Has never harmed any finish I've used it on. Body shops use it all the time.

http://www.repaintsupply.com/3m-08987-general-purpose-adhesive-cleaner-p579.html

41577.jpg

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
CG has a couple of different citrus washes. Just read the description.

When I want to remove wax or sealant I just wash with citrus. Seems to do the trick and eliminates a step of doing it other ways like with a spray bottle of some stuff.

Also my cars live outside, and I am too busy to wash and wax every month, so usually instead of trying to take wax or sealant off I more or less just wait until the water stops beading.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I ordered the CG citrus wash that James linked to.

I love CG, but their website SUCKS sometimes.
Used this stuff the other day before a full wax. Holy cow. You wash one panel, and after rinse the water no longer beads up where you washed it. Completely stripped all the wax.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back