bonding aluminum with adhesive

MIKE93SVT

Savior of Junk
Reaction score
Gents,

I'm requesting some input if this is a workable project. it's a Mustang GT hood that I'd like to insert the GT500 vent onto.

Before it comes up: I'm in hawaii and am not willing to pay 600 to ship a new hood down here. I purchased a new "take off" with the plans to wait and it arrived damaged to a house on the mainland. I'm moving back in 2 1/2 years and will get another hood if this doesn't pan out.

I've cut out the top skin of the old (wrecked) GT500 hood and am ready to cut the new one. The idea would be to place the insert on top, or underneath the top skin on the black hood. Then utilize the 1" lip to secure to to the new hood. Followed up with a some sort of pliable body filler to clean up the edges. I say pliable (flexible) because it's an aluminum hood and has a little flex to it. I've not a body man and am unaware of the current products that are good to use.

Thanks for any input whether it's providing product information, or a better technique. It's super thin, so welding isn't really an option with the limited shops around here to try and I don't want to risk warping the skin. It'll take a long time to find another hood. I won't pursue this any further if the consensus is that it won't work. This hood will work just fine until we move back.

Thanks
Mike

You can see how the vent surround dips down and allows the insert to sit flush.

view from underneath to see what has to be clearanced. Looks like more than it will end up being.

If the panel is secured on top. I could work the filler to have a slight raise and end up something like the 07-09 vents.

CC516C3A-1733-4F9A-9B60-FB21A381B990_zps4p0c5yk7.jpg
[/URL]

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score

we use that 3M panel bonding adhesive on a almost daily basis in our bodyshop. it works great but the one thing to keep in mind is body filler doesn't like to stick to it. if you use it make sure the outer area where you apply filler is perfectly clean of the glue.
you need to use a special applicator gun to use it also.
if you use it, it's recommended to grind the bonded areas with a 36 grit grinder disc. the grooves from the 36 grit help give the glue more bite or tooth to grip to.
we use it most often when replacing 1/4 panels. we bond them at the wheel opening seam, the bottom of the rocker panel, under the rear bumper and sometimes in the trunk jamb.

in all reality you really don't need to glue anything to your hood. just cut the hole on top, trim off the area on the back where you need to and put the scoop in the hole. just use 2 sided tape on the edges to hold it on. there is a bolt in the center of the scoop to make sure it doesn't fly off.
here is a thread from DOB forum I used to install that vent in my hood.

http://www.departmentofboost.com/vbull/showthread.php?53-GT500-Hood-Vent-on-an-05-09-Hood
in my opinion the vent is about 1" to far back in this thread. where you cut the hole is entirely up to you.

here is a pic of my car with that vent.

the vent is actually about 2" to far foreword. it's directly over the radiator and should be directly above the gap between the radiator and the motor.
it cools just fine and I think it looks better this way instead of where is should be.

Last edited:

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
another tip on the panel bond adhesive.

you will need vice grips with LONG arms.
once you clamp the panels down they need to stay clamped for several hours.
using screws to hold the panels together works OK. the problem is you will have holes in your hood that will be difficult to fill without problems,

MIKE93SVT

Savior of Junk
Reaction score
Thanks for the input and tips. Have some good advice that is similar on another forum.

Adding this section of the hood is an attention to detail thing to me. I would just put the vent on the hood, but it would bother me that it sits on top and doesn't have the depression like factory to sit flush

Thanks
Mike

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back