Exhaust for '08 4.0

Flamed4oh

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering what would be a good exhaust to put onto my v6. I've already converted it to a dual exhaust, so the only thing I want to get is an axle-back system. What's would be good to keep away from the ricer sound and try and get some type of rumble?

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Before you get shit on because this is most definitely not tech...I've found that Magnaflow or a touring style muffler is best. Anything more starts to turn it into a 350Z. I had the Magnaflow street series for a while and they're good, but drone a bit. Currently have Ford Racing Sports and it's a little too loud in the mid RPM's. Going to Borla Tourings soon.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
For a stock V6, get a set of GT takeoff mufflers. The sound will be decent. If you want louder, flowmaster is about the best aftermarket sounding exhaust I've used on a V6 (and is what I use now). Magnaflows, to me, droned too much, and borla's and corsa's are overkill expensive for a v6. Another 'interesting' option is straight pipes with no mufflers, but it might be a little too loud for some.
But of course this is all relative to what you like, too.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What's would be good to keep away from the ricer sound and try and get some type of rumble?

This.

M-6007-A463NA.jpg

+

2005-10-mustang-3v-arh-header-1-5-8in-x-2-1-2in-x-pipe-w-cats-1.png

+

cor14311.jpg

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
This.

M-6007-A463NA.jpg

+

2005-10-mustang-3v-arh-header-1-5-8in-x-2-1-2in-x-pipe-w-cats-1.png

+

cor14311.jpg

lol. "Is all that plug and play? Never changed my oil before, but all you have to do it put the engine in right?"

I second whoever said GT Takeoffs. It's cheap, sounds good, and has a great low rumble idle. I picked up my pipes and two muffles for $70. I still think its the best sounding setup for an 05-09 v6 with an intake and tune.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
For a stock V6, get a set of GT takeoff mufflers. The sound will be decent. If you want louder, flowmaster is about the best aftermarket sounding exhaust I've used on a V6 (and is what I use now). Magnaflows, to me, droned too much, and borla's and corsa's are overkill expensive for a v6. Another 'interesting' option is straight pipes with no mufflers, but it might be a little too loud for some.
But of course this is all relative to what you like, too.

The GTB's were a really nice option I thought when I had mine. Not really all that loud, but gave it a nice tone.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
The GTB's were a really nice option I thought when I had mine. Not really all that loud, but gave it a nice tone.

I'd imagine the GT500 takeoff mufflers wouldn't be bad either. Unfortunately most of the exhaust setups on the V6 sound awful or have terrible drone imo.

07TR

forum member
Reaction score
Buy a borla or the ford racing true dual conversion

JimC

Reaction score
I'd imagine the GT500 takeoff mufflers wouldn't be bad either. Unfortunately most of the exhaust setups on the V6 sound awful or have terrible drone imo.
The GT500 up until the 2010 model year was nothing special. It was merely the same mufflers as those found on the GT with an automatic.

My favorite set up on my 2006 was the Ford Racing X pipe with the GTA mufflers. No drone either.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
The GT500 up until the 2010 model year was nothing special. It was merely the same mufflers as those found on the GT with an automatic.

My favorite set up on my 2006 was the Ford Racing X pipe with the GTA mufflers. No drone either.

Ah really? I would have thought they'd be less restrictive or different in some way.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Ah really? I would have thought they'd be less restrictive or different in some way.

Pretty much the exact same muffler. 2010 and up is a different story though. I had GTA's on the car for a little while, as a single exhaust and then as a dual exhaust with a H pipe. I thought it sounded really nice as a single, but then as soon as I did the dual conversion it sounded like complete ass to me.

warpony4.0

Reaction score
I am ordering mid x pipes dual by pypes for right now with a throtle body and throttle spacer and a tune.

JimC

Reaction score
I am ordering mid x pipes dual by pypes for right now with a throtle body and throttle spacer and a tune.
If you haven't ordered that spacer yet, save your money. The TB spacer and $3 will get you a medium Starbucks Coffee and do as much good for your car.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

JimC

Reaction score
What throttle body? The 4.0 seems to have a lot of issues with the BBK; actually with all the aftermarket throttle bodies.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
What throttle body? The 4.0 seems to have a lot of issues with the BBK; actually with all the aftermarket throttle bodies.

+1 to this. No personal experiences but heard plenty about this. Clean your TB thoroughly and you'll notice a difference.

DesertStang06

forum member
Reaction score
Personal preference here but...

Ditch the X. It will exacerbate all the inherent V6 sound.
A custom H should not cost more than around $100-$150.
Stock GTs sound good.
I hate advocating Flowmaster, But the 60 series give it some throaty tones.

My personal favorite however were shorties, stock cats, custom H, and SLP LMs.

Not as loud as you'd think.
Deep throaty idle. And pretty decent mid and upper range.

Or like I did years ago. LTs, modded GT midpipe and American Thunders (60series)
That one was just rude and raspy up top.
Sounded rather mean for a v6 down low though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back