7.5 With FR TLok Power limit

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Hey all, with the possibility I go cheap rather than buying a donor. I'd just snatch up a 4.6 engine, harness, use the auto trans I have, pcm, could I in theory run that with the stock driveshaft and the 7.5 with the Fr diff? I figure it wouldn't last that long but I was wondering if yall knew. I search around but couldn't really find this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimC

Reaction score
On my 2006 4.0 all it took was a CAI, tune, and a set of drag radials to break a 7.5. And that was with supposedly indestructible Richmond gears.

Also, you can't put the transmission you have on the 4.6. While both use the 5R55 transmission, the bell housing and mount is different and they are not interchangeable. You can't use the 4.0 PCM on the 4.6 - how will you program it to fire the extra 2 cylinders?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Jim is correct. You can, however, use the same driveshaft from your v6 on a 4.6 v8, assuming they are both 5r55s automatics (they're the same length).

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
I misplaced where I put pcm, wow i'm surprised thats all it took. Well, if I have to swap the rear than the DS would probably go as well. Just can't seem to scratch this swap itch.

I'm still kinda new to cars and all, what happens when you brake the rear? Loud band and gear oil, but what usually brakes inside? The diff? Gears?

Thanks for the help guys, and hey, if you know anyone selling a 4.6 tell them to talk to me. I don't care too much with the mileage. Sub 150k would be prefered though

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
I misplaced where I put pcm, wow i'm surprised thats all it took. Well, if I have to swap the rear than the DS would probably go as well. Just can't seem to scratch this swap itch.

I'm still kinda new to cars and all, what happens when you brake the rear? Loud band and gear oil, but what usually brakes inside? The diff? Gears?

Thanks for the help guys, and hey, if you know anyone selling a 4.6 tell them to talk to me. I don't care too much with the mileage. Sub 150k would be prefered though

Send me a PM if you'd like, I'm in the process of a swap and have all the trans parts that I won't be using from the GT.

JimC

Reaction score

Breaking the rear end can happen lots of ways. Seen it happen with a loud bang and then grinding as the spider gears go to small pieces. On mine it was a loud whining/rubbing sound from a bent pinion. When it breaks, you will know something is wrong.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Hey all, with the possibility I go cheap rather than buying a donor. I'd just snatch up a 4.6 engine, harness, use the auto trans I have, pcm, could I in theory run that with the stock driveshaft and the 7.5 with the Fr diff? I figure it wouldn't last that long but I was wondering if yall knew. I search around but couldn't really find this

Also, I suppose you've seen my swap thread here: V6 to V8 swap

Some of your questions are answered in the first post.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back