S197 Chassis Coyote Swap Endurance Race Build/Blog

the5

Reaction score
Continuation from here-
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128562

Feel the information will be more relevant here.

After getting back after the last race at NJMP we had some issues that had formed in the car along with some upgrades with our final race at Summit Point. The first order of business was looking into the rear axle. Something happened to it but wasnt sure what at this point.

It turns out that the actual axle tube had rotated in the housing. It had broken off the bottom plug weld as seen in the picture. I thought that since we were road racing we wouldn't need our tubes welded but I was wrong! Get your tubes welded!

What happens when you rear axle is trash? You pick up a Cortex Cambered rear end of course!
Boy is this a sexy piece. We are currently running it at -1.5* of camber.

Next on the list was to install ABS in the car, I actually had to buy an entire V6 to steal the brake lines and computer out of it.

After that we were off to Summit Point for our test day! Everything went great and car was dialed in, So we stuffed it in the trailer for 2 weeks getting ready for the race.

Usually we have a couple other drivers that come with us, but for this race it was just my dad and I. Over the course of the weekend we ran 9 hours each and 300+ laps. We ran a really clean race both days and came out with our first win on both days! Also ended up finishing 4th overall out of the 55 Cars their! For now have these photos, In car video will be added later!

Dirty after 18 hours of racing-

First race for the next season is February 10-12th at Road Atlanta, Have a few upgrades in mind for the car this winter.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Congratulations - Axle tube welding - In my opinion - is mandatory for any straight axle 9" in competition. We even did that in our low HP V6. 1.5 degrees is about max too for long term reliability. Great job! Looking forward to updates as your car develops.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Nice job, and looks like a LOT of nice kit on that car! 200 V6: The cambered axle that they have is the World Challenge piece from Cortex, which is a full-floater setup. There's no angle-loading on the diff itself. The axle stubs connect to the diff with a standard splined end, and at the other end, they drive a hub with a splined ball setup. I don't know the max camber you can get with that setup, but I believe it's north of 3*, which is probably too much. World Challenge put that axle in the rule book for the S197 to keep parity with the newer S550's IRS. By the time you load it with brakes, diff and gears, you're over $10K for the axle. Expensive, but still cheaper than scrapping a Boss302R and starting all over with a BIW S550.

Questions for the OP: What fuel cell are you running (I see the Fuel Safe logo, but what series, and what size?) and can you give a bit of detail on how you have the refueling side set up? I'm assuming a return system, correct?

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the deals Dave - I looked it up on their web sight and very, very nice.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome! Great looking car too! Would you mind giving me some info on that front end swap? I really want to do it but I just cannot find any details on it.

the5

Reaction score
Nice job, and looks like a LOT of nice kit on that car! 200 V6: The cambered axle that they have is the World Challenge piece from Cortex, which is a full-floater setup. There's no angle-loading on the diff itself. The axle stubs connect to the diff with a standard splined end, and at the other end, they drive a hub with a splined ball setup. I don't know the max camber you can get with that setup, but I believe it's north of 3*, which is probably too much. World Challenge put that axle in the rule book for the S197 to keep parity with the newer S550's IRS. By the time you load it with brakes, diff and gears, you're over $10K for the axle. Expensive, but still cheaper than scrapping a Boss302R and starting all over with a BIW S550.

Questions for the OP: What fuel cell are you running (I see the Fuel Safe logo, but what series, and what size?) and can you give a bit of detail on how you have the refueling side set up? I'm assuming a return system, correct?

I am not sure but pretty sure its the Sportsman series and is 22 gallons. We run a 2.5 inch fill pipe and Put the fuel cap on the pass side since most pits are on pass side. Return system is correct.

Awesome! Great looking car too! Would you mind giving me some info on that front end swap? I really want to do it but I just cannot find any details on it.

Mostly just bolts on but feel free to ask me any specifics

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
What size brakes and pad compounds are you running?

Do you have any more video from the NJMP tracks? I'm kind of hoping that any that you have also contain Harry's Lap Timer data. The NJMP courses are my 'home tracks' and it was interesting to make comparisons with your Thunderbolt lapping video. And dammit, you're gonna make me wish I had another hundred HP and a thousand more rpm to play with.

Norm

the5

Reaction score
What size brakes and pad compounds are you running?

Do you have any more video from the NJMP tracks? I'm kind of hoping that any that you have also contain Harry's Lap Timer data. The NJMP courses are my 'home tracks' and it was interesting to make comparisons with your Thunderbolt lapping video. And dammit, you're gonna make me wish I had another hundred HP and a thousand more rpm to play with.

Norm

Only video I have from NJ- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rczU3TluZqs

NJMP's is my home track also, and will be doing testing there this winter/spring. I have a new AIM system going in the car with Smarty cam so should have video with Overlay next year!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Only video I have from NJ- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rczU3TluZqs

NJMP's is my home track also, and will be doing testing there this winter/spring. I have a new AIM system going in the car with Smarty cam so should have video with Overlay next year!
Cool.

Looked like it got a little loose a couple other times, just not as bad. I think this always happened in left turns.

I can't imagine trying to run Lightning at speed with no shifting anywhere. Over a 2:1 speed ratio between peak down the front straight and the exit of T7 suggests to me that with typical transmission gear spacing there should be at least one upshift in there someplace, with a downshift coming up to T1.

Norm

Last edited:

the5

Reaction score
Cool.

Looked like it got a little loose a couple other times, just not as bad. I think this always happened in left turns.

I can't imagine trying to run Lightning at speed with no shifting anywhere. Over a 2:1 speed ratio between peak down the front straight and the exit of T7 suggests to me that with typical transmission gear spacing there should be at least one upshift in there someplace, with a downshift coming up to T1.

Norm

That was my dad driving, we were saving the car and didnt need to shift so we didnt.

We have a Tr6060 so our spacing is much farther apart along with the 3.73's

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Any idea how many rpms it was turning down the front straight? I'd have thought that limiting the rpms with an upshift would have been worth it specifically for the purpose of going easier on the car.

Which TR6060 and what gear was he using? I know that there are different gearsets and I have my own spreadsheet calculator that probably has your gearset in its database.

I'm also curious about your car's wheel & tire package, because I'm trying to compare lap times and corner speeds the way my car sits against what others with generally similar cars are running. I'm at a big disadvantage on the longer straights (run out of revs in 1:1 4th and steam at ~125 mph), maybe not disadvantaged in other places (ex. T3 on T-bolt is typically an 85 mph turn for me, high 80's on a really good lap, and I'm sure the car is good for more than that).

Norm

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
From your original thread here.
First off I would like to thank Greg from Elgin Racing for sending these machined calipers that dont need to be twisted back in!

This is huge for quick brake pad swaps while endurance racing! Also answered all my questions about setup and their car.
Do you have any more details or pictures of these? The OE twisty setup is a PITA.

If not, I can give Greg a call.

the5

Reaction score
I can get some more pictures of them but That is about all I know about them at the moment. May take them to a local machine shop and get another set made as there seems to be a lot of demand.

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Did you use the EPAS or did you buy the bracket to run power steering?

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
First race for the next season is February 10-12th at Road Atlanta, Have a few upgrades in mind for the car this winter.

I saw you guys up at the Glen in back in April. I was crewing for my brother's car as we had fuel delivery issues in his car, fuel cell solved that problem.

Crafting a plan for Road Atlanta, hopefully we will make it there too!

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of the outside splitter mounts? I'm curious about where they're anchored.

It didn't occur to me to ask until you posted the canard thread. :)

the5

Reaction score
Did you use the EPAS or did you buy the bracket to run power steering?

Runnign Hydralic Power Steering

I saw you guys up at the Glen in back in April. I was crewing for my brother's car as we had fuel delivery issues in his car, fuel cell solved that problem.

Crafting a plan for Road Atlanta, hopefully we will make it there too!

Which car were you with?

Do you have any pictures of the outside splitter mounts? I'm curious about where they're anchored.

It didn't occur to me to ask until you posted the canard thread. :)

The outside splitter mounts go to the Core support right below the headlight-
F79408C9-208D-4631-8B91-8C86C636DFAF_zpsipt0c9e7.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back