Why You Probably Don’t Want To buy Magnaflow Exhaust Products

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I imagine the cost is also the material used. Stainless is more expensive than aluminiumized pipe. I'm a total Borla whore and have them on two of my vehicles. I had a Borla muffler on my Expedition when I had it.

I think I ran MF for a week a few years ago. Way too quiet for me at the time.

Coosawjack

forum member
Reaction score
Most muffler shops that handle Magnaflow mufflers will honor the warranty......ya just have to pay them for removal and reinstallation.....I've done it a couple times!!

Magnaflow uses top quality stainless but uses what appears to be mild steel welds and they do not have "weep holes" to drain corrosive condensation!!:goofy_batman: Mine always rotted out at the welds!!

I asked 'em about drilling weep holes and they warned it would void the warranty.....WTF??:omfg:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
So what's the customer supposed to do if he/she ends up having to relocate beyond the location of where the mufflers were originally purchased ? In your particular situation, consider yourself as fortunate for being able to take your Magnaflow mufflers to a retailer that will honor the MF manufacturers warranty despite the fact you didn't purchase them from that retailer..

From my understanding the MF warranty applies only to the original purchaser in which proof of original sales/invoice and mufflers along with the warranty policy is required by Magnaflow.. Therefore Magnaflow is responsible for honoring their manufacturer warranties, not the retailers..

That being said, IMHO Magnaflow are being a bunch of dickheads towards the OP and if I were in his position, I'd contact a general manager from corporate and submit a formal compliant.. If necessary, climb all the way up the corporate ladder until the issue has been resolved..

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Magnaflow Update

A higher-up at Magnaflow caught wind of my situation and went to work fixing the problem. I have received a replacement system delivered directly to me (I didn’t have to go through a retailer). It came with a call tag to send the old blown out system back.

This higher-up even took the extra step of getting the ball rolling on Magnaflow amending their warranty policy to accommodate situations like mine.

Magnaflow stepped up and made the situation right. Kudo’s. And because of that I’m still a Magnaflow customer.

Thanks
Jason

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Magnaflow uses top quality stainless but uses what appears to be mild steel welds and they do not have "weep holes" to drain corrosive condensation!!:goofy_batman: Mine always rotted out at the welds!!

The small round case Magnaflows I was running on my car as resonators for awhile appeared to me that they had 304 stainless as the main part of the case- but there was a hell of a lot of rust spots that developed on the end caps and pipe stubs. I suspect they were 409 stainless. I had been under the impression Magnaflow used all 304 stainless in their stuff.

Also there are quite a few others that are guilty of mild steel welds, MBE being one of them. I had one of their axle backs when I first got my car, it was all nice polished stainless...ran it for a couple years and then took it off. They used mild steel wire to weld on the hangers, so all those welds were rusty, and the weld splatter that was all over the mufflers was also rusty.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I had heard some corrosion stories about Magna Flow when I put a cat-back system on my previous car (Lexus IS300). Shopping around I found Borla had a system for about the same price with their "Million Mile Warranty". Comparing the two, the Borla just looked like higher quality kit, so I went with it. 100,000+ miles later when I sold the car the Borla system was still there and nary a problem.
When I got my Mustang I decided to go Borla again, but just axle backs this time. Almost 4 years and 30,000 miles later, same story as before, no problems.

SpecOps13

3rd Childhood Thing
Reaction score
Magna Flows came on my GT, bought the car used. I drilled 1 inch holes down and out just before the muffler so I wouldn't have any fumes into the car. Finally the exhaust sounds like a Muscle Car. No drone at cruising, overall it's sounded great over the past year. Don't have any rust or rot just were quiet as crap.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Magnaflow Update

A higher-up at Magnaflow caught wind of my situation and went to work fixing the problem. I have received a replacement system delivered directly to me (I didn’t have to go through a retailer). It came with a call tag to send the old blown out system back.

This higher-up even took the extra step of getting the ball rolling on Magnaflow amending their warranty policy to accommodate situations like mine.

Magnaflow stepped up and made the situation right. Kudo’s. And because of that I’m still a Magnaflow customer.

Thanks
Jason

Jason ! Glad that higher up from MF took the initiative of your situation by taking action to resolve it for you.. It's also nice to know he's going to take steps in amending their warranty policy as well, as it's Magnaflow who's responsible for covering the warranties on their exhaust systems and not the retailer.. IMHO all that Magnaflow should require, is a copy of proof of purchase and warranty policy direct from the customer when submitting a warranty claim, as there is no reason whatsoever why the customer should be required to go through the retailer and have them submit the claim.. Anyway in the meantime, follow up and keep us all posted.. Best of luck, Rocky :waytogo:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back