Airlift tank and compressor mounting

Time2SHO

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've looked through install threads and articles, but most I've found has been mounted in the spare tire well. I'm not looking to do that, don't want to lose the spare tire.
I was thinking of mounting the compressor and tank on the rear deck upside down...I know your not suppose to mount the compressor upside down due to heat, but what if I would mount a small fan behind the compressor to push air across it while it's running? Something like a computer fan or something?
The tank I have is the airlift 4 gallon aluminum one, which I would like to paint and have it visible to block the manifold and the lines, etc. at some point. Is the weight of the compressor and tank going to be too much?

But is there a better place to mount all of this? Or has others have better mounting options? I was thinking i"d still have space to put stuff in the trunk if I had it mounted on the rear deck instead of the floor, not that I use the trunk for much anyways..

Thanks,
Matt

Brick

forum member
Reaction score
Check out the "eXo Mount" made by Accuair. Would allow you to hang the tank from underneath the rear deck, and then mount your manifold and compressor(s) to the tank right side up. You would want to check about making sure the brackets would fit your 4 gallon Airlift tank, though.

Time2SHO

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply Brick. I did initially look at those mounts, but I was told from bag riders(which is where I ordered my management kit from), that the mount would not work on the tank. I guess I could always get another tank and buy the mount, just more than I wanted to spend. I did find a picture over at SVT of how I think I'm going to set it up for now. Until I can afford to set it the way I want. Most likely using those exo mounts and new tank in the future.

Would I be ok using the hole in the tank thats on the end of the tank? as the drain? As I'll be having the tank mounted upside down.

This is the tank I have.
https://www.bagriders.com/air-manag...lift-aluminum-4-gallon-end-port-air-tank.html

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Try to mount it so at least one fitting faces directly down. So you can hook up a drain fitting to get any moisture that's built up inside the tank to drain out. And use Port that is on the side or top to use for the compressor and manifold fittings. So they don't collect water in then

Time2SHO

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Wes, I was thinking that's what I would have to do. I think I'll have to cut the tank mounts off and get them re-welded upside down so the drain can be on the bottom instead of on the top. I was just hoping that it might have been ok to have the drain on the side...guess not.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
you can have the input/output line from compressor on the sides/top etc. but for a waste drain you want it at the bottom where water will pool up

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
Get these mounts from jegs (08-0100) cut the existing legs off and then you can mount the tank with the center drain down. I just ordered mine today.

Time2SHO

Reaction score
I called airlift to ask about if the exo mounts would work, and was told that they do, but with a little bit of modification.

Thanks for the link Jas, do you mind if you let me know how they fit before I order a pair? I'm thinking I might still go with the exo mounts..just so I can keep the compressor right side up and off the floor.

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
I called airlift to ask about if the exo mounts would work, and was told that they do, but with a little bit of modification.

Thanks for the link Jas, do you mind if you let me know how they fit before I order a pair? I'm thinking I might still go with the exo mounts..just so I can keep the compressor right side up and off the floor.

No problem. Hopefully they will be here by Friday and I can get started on the install this weekend. Weather has been shit here lately. If nothing else I'll post a pic of the mounts and tank it I don't get it installed.

Time2SHO

Reaction score
I appreciate it, I don't want you to feel I'm rushing you though. Whenever you get around to it.
The weather here is going to hit us on the weekend, so I'm hoping to pull the car into the garage to at least start the install.

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
Not rushing at all. My mounts were delivered today. I won't get home till Friday. Once I get a chance this weekend I'll take some pics.

07 Boss

Reaction score
.just so I can keep the compressor right side up and off the floor.

I think that's a good idea. I was always under the impression that compressors have to be run right side up. I know refrigerator equipment must sit upright after shipping for 24 hours before cranking up the compressor in case it was laid on it's side for shipping. I believe it has something to do with the oiling or something.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yea but thats freon compressors.

Our air compressor's are oil-less and IIRC as long as its on the vertical plane its "fine", horizontal plane would cause un-even wear on the ring

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
The mounts fit the tank great. The only problem I am seeing is the mounting holes are to wide for the front side of the deck. (Stock mounts are also). I made marks on the mounts where they need cut to fit in that area. Also marks where new holes need to be drilled. The new mounting bolts will need to be counter sunk to clear the strap mount bolts. So I know what I'm doing this evening. Also obviously I need to cut the stock mount brackets off and what the hell I'm going to polish the tank too.

Attachments

• 20170512_153253.jpg
    20170512_153253.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20170512_155313.jpg
    20170512_155313.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20170512_155435.jpg
    20170512_155435.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20170512_155551.jpg
    20170512_155551.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 24

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
The new mounts look great. I was able to mount mine in the same location with the factory welded on mounts. Then mounted the compressor down below it on the passenger side of the tank right side up. It's all out of the way and i have full use of the trunk. Well most of it:)
I can't wait to see the final set up. Keep us posted.

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
I was going to use factory mount brackets but the problem is the tank drain is on the bottom. With using these brackets I can rotate the tank 180 So that the drain stays on the bottom. I got the brackets cut down to proper size and drilled new mounting holes. Will post up pics once I get the tank mounted. Hopefully tomorrow.

Time2SHO

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures the mounts look great. It seems like I won't be able to afford the mounts for awhile. Been missing a pay check since I've been to school(just March and April). I'll have to hold off on the mounts unfortunately. I did start the install since I can't just have it sit on the garage floor for ever, and I'll just have to mount it when I actually start getting paid again.

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
Tank is mounted. The new mounts work perfect. Another pic with reference to where the manifold is going. Have to get bolts to mount it.

Attachments

• 20170514_120522.jpg
    20170514_120522.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20170514_120546.jpg
    20170514_120546.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 25

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tank is mounted. The new mounts work perfect. Another pic with reference to where the manifold is going. Have to get bolts to mount it.

Looks great Josh. I can't see any evidence of where you cut the original feet of the tank, how did you do it?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back