What's a good wheel cleaner that actually REMOVES brake dust?

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Over the weekend while swapping out my end links, I went ahead and swapped out the pads on my brand-new Brembo swap. I initially put in semi-metallic pads (against my better judgment) and they were creating an obscene amount of brake dust, so I replaced them with ceramics.

While I had the wheels off the car I put them out in the driveway to clean off the brake dust. Well, I sprayed them off with two different wheel cleaners I have (Meguiar's Hot Rims and I think Eagle One wheel cleaner) and neither one really even touched the brake dust even when I used a wheel brush. I resorted to going over both wheels with a damp paper towel and wiping off the dust as best I could.

Has anyone here found something that works well on brake dust? Also these are powdercoated wheels so I'm assuming whatever works on clearcoated wheels would be OK for these.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Dawn dish soap. Simple Green. Lots of options not available on the car detail isle at VatoZone.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I stopped buying wheel cleaners as I felt none of them worked as advertised.

So I use a separate bucket and wash mitt and clean them like I would with my hand just like the body.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I used to use a wheel wax that helped with cleaning. I can't remember the brand, I have a pressure washer now.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So what I'm getting here is that there's really nothing good out there that helps to loosen/dissolve the brake dust so you can just spray it off with a hose.

Like I said, I wiped most of it off with a damp paper towel, but I don't want to have to do it by hand like that every time.

Also I have one of those "soapy brush" things I attach to my hose and use to wash my car...I do use it on the wheels, but it's tough to get it into every little area.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
It can be tough. when I worked at a detail shop I got wheels all the time that had brake dust cooking into them for years and expected spotless to come back before that had to punch back in from lunch break.

The stuff in the link I posted is for what you are talking about.

Magic eraser is dirt cheap and it might help you quite a bit. I would go there first before the wheel acid.

Lots of people are scared of wheel acid but when I worked for the shop we used in on nearly every car just for the speed of it. Just spray it on then power wash it off like 1 minute later. Just don't use it on rims you suspect may have specialized coatings on them.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't found anything that will remove brake dust that's left on. I picked up a brush just for the rims. I have found keeping a layer or polish or wax on them does help make them easier to clean when time to wash.

teeje

Reaction score
Neverdull works great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

'14StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
I use Sonax wheel cleaner and think it works well.

Goes on fluorescent green then turns red as it loosens brake dust and dirt from wheel surface. The hardest part is just the wait time LOL

I have a smaller brush I've used on particularly tough parts, but seriously, I usually just soak it on ... Give it time to work, then rinse it off.

It's very strong, pretty sure the instruction recommend wearing rubber gloves and eye protection, it also has a very strong smell. Like strong enough that if you are asmatic, I'd probably wear a mask as well

Sonax (230200-755) Wheel Cleaner Full*Effect - 16.9 fl. oz.

http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-wheel-cleaner.html?gclid=CMzN_7uEhNQCFRSewAod4cAI9A

Last edited:

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
S100-1.JPG

S100 total motorcycle cleaner. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then wash off. I've used this stuff on my bikes for years. Works equally well on car wheels, even w/brake dust.

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
You can mail order S100 thru sources like autogeek or pick it up at most Harley shops. Some Asian bike shops sell it but HD shops all have it.

I normally wet the wheel, spray the stuff on, let it soak for a few minutes then go at it w/a wheel brush and cloth. The S100 is really good at breaking up the dirt & dust, IMHO, and washes off easily.
Lee

1fastTbird

forum member
Reaction score
Another vote for Sonax, although you will need to agitate with ALL cleaners to get a wheel clean. The wheel cleaner does the chemical cleaning, but you still need mechanical action to clean a vehicle.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Be careful if you use some of the harsher stuff; if you get it on the actual body, it can take the wax off.

Brick

forum member
Reaction score
Iron X by CarPro works really well for removing what is embedded in the wheel. The link Riptide posted above looks to be very similar stuff for a better price. It would have to be ordered online though.

When I got my new Forgestars I put OptiCoat on them. Brake dust wipes away with soap and water now.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back