Looking for opinions/input on these mods - cam/intake/tb

Stoughton

Reaction score
I'm looking for some feedback on these mods. I've done some research but I'm not a mechanic/tech so I figured ask for some help.

I have an 08 Bullitt stock drivetrain except for JBA shorties and FR500S mufflers. I'm thinking of the following mods:

FRPP Hot Rod Cams
FRPP Intake
FRPP 62mm TB

I don't see going FI ever, and I don't race.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest you search the site, tons of info on those mods, in a thumb nail

yes - sound and power
only if you're going to rev that bitch
waste of money

46addict

Reaction score
With the cams and intake manifold I think you'll be wanting steeper gears. Also don't forget to budget for a good custom tune.

Phil1098

Reaction score
If you look at my signature you can see what I have done, like you I didn't go the FI route. I was told by one of the guys at FRPP to not waste my $ on the intake or TB. Not sure shorties do much over stock iron manifolds, but the cams really like the long tubes. Lito is the horse whisperer, for a 3V he is as good of a tuner as there is.

Stoughton

Reaction score
If you look at my signature you can see what I have done, like you I didn't go the FI route. I was told by one of the guys at FRPP to not waste my $ on the intake or TB. Not sure shorties do much over stock iron manifolds, but the cams really like the long tubes. Lito is the horse whisperer, for a 3V he is as good of a tuner as there is.

Thanks. The car came with the shorties, not sure why they didn't go for the LT at the time, but I'd like to go that route once $ is available. Though if I pass on the intake and TB, I could do the headers instead.

With the cams and intake manifold I think you'll be wanting steeper gears. Also don't forget to budget for a good custom tune.

Planning on the tune at the same time.

Steeper than the 3.73's?

I'd suggest you search the site, tons of info on those mods, in a thumb nail

yes - sound and power
only if you're going to rev that bitch
waste of money

Working on it. Like I said, I'm not much of a mechanic so trying to learn as I go.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

46addict

Reaction score
Thanks. The car came with the shorties, not sure why they didn't go for the LT at the time, but I'd like to go that route once $ is available. Though if I pass on the intake and TB, I could do the headers instead.

Steeper than the 3.73's?

If you do decide on longtubes you could sell the shorties to someone with a turbo setup and make some money back.

With gears there is no clear cut answer. I have 3.73s with the mods listed in my sig and the low end just isn't there. But it depends on how you drive the car and your tolerance for an engine that constantly winds up. If you do a lot of highway driving, going steeper than a 3.73 may not be a good idea. I prefer more gear and I rarely do 70+mph highway rides, so going steeper makes sense.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
No TB or Intake.
Spend your money on the Cams, Long tubes high flow cats and new H pipe and a good air filter set up. I would stay with the 3.73's. Then get a good tune from Lund or Lito. You may want to look at some Charge Motion Delete Plates also.

Last edited:

Stoughton

Reaction score
No TB or Intake.
Spend your money on the Cams, Long tubes and new exhaust including mufflers and a good air filter set up. I would stay with the 3.73's. Then get a good tune from Lund or Lito.

Thanks.

I thought the stock Bullitt CAI was pretty good?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm looking for some feedback on these mods. I've done some research but I'm not a mechanic/tech so I figured ask for some help.

I have an 08 Bullitt stock drivetrain except for JBA shorties and FR500S mufflers. I'm thinking of the following mods:

FRPP Hot Rod Cams
FRPP Intake
FRPP 62mm TB

I don't see going FI ever, and I don't race.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

IMO the JBA shorties are the best ones out there. They still won't be as good as LT but as long as they are on stick with them for awhile.

HR cams and a good tune will make a noticeable difference. Please contact lito ([email protected]) for a good tune.

Like everyone else has said the tb won't make a difference with a stock displacement 4.6. The stock tb flows over 800cfm, more than enough air for the displacement.

The FRPP intake manifold will only help a 4.6 at around 7k rpm or so. I've done a whole lot of data logging and dyno testing. I only saw a decrease in the low end with the FRPP intake but this was with stock heads.

The FRPP intake will shine if the motor can move more than 43lbs/min of air. This requires super high rpms, a supercharger, or more displacement coming from a larger bore like a Big Bore Boss based motor.

I think that almost everyone on this site has started out saying they didn't want forced induction with a 3v. I also think that over 90% eventually bought a supercharger.

Buying a supercharger right away saves money because in the end you will probably end up with one.

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
I also not looking into racing any time soon lol, since im always at work or with the family.
I got a comp cams thumper and a storker build engine, stage 2 clutch, long tube headers and 4:10 gear.
Shake like crazy at idle but its very smooth once it is in motion...
honestly i only bought the bbk tb and the intake cuz one (bbk) was for sale for 50$ lol
And the k&n cai for 80$
Now the charge motion plate delete is very good. I got that one too

If you dont care about the shaking on idle
With the fordracing cams you wont need to deal with the sproker spacer like the thumper cams does lol

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back