exhaust diameter questions, also ebay long tube headers any good? please advise

Joe88xj

forum member
Reaction score
Hi guys I am looking at long tube headers and offroad x pipe setups for my 06 gt. My question is this, I am not planning on putting turbos or supercharger on this engine, I am planning on putting a twin 62mm TB and Ford racing intake manifold on it along with cold air intake and possibly a mild cam fords hotrod cam or something like that.

Do I need 3 " exhaust for this or is 1 5/8 and 2.5 at the collectors and going back adequate? I have read I can lose low end with too large a diameter exhaust.

Also I am seeing long tube stainless headers on ebay for between 150 and 200 dollars shipped, anybody have any experience with them? Price is great but I don't want to buy a product with bad fitment I only want to do it once.

Please advise? Thanks in advance!!

Joe

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I think 2.5" should be enough for at least 375 HP at the crank. Especially if you run an X-pipe.

No basis for opinion here on those ebay headers (or much else that mainly sells via ebay for that matter).

Norm

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
A few guys on sn95forums run those ebay special stainless longtubes on their 2v's with no problem. If the headers youre talking about are the ones Im thinking about then they are a JBA/Pacesetter carbon copy. They are one of the few true full length headers for our 3v's. They should net you more power than other designs but be warned that they do hang low especially if you have adjustable motor mounts.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No you don't need 3". And stick with the stock manifold and throttle body with delete plates. Unless you plan to rev to 7500.

Joe88xj

forum member
Reaction score
thanks guys, the headers I am referring to look just like the kooks designs as well as your typical long tube style, the one auction stated that some vehicles may have rubbing issues with steering shaft and different motor mounts may be needed.

I know a local guy with an o8 gt500 who swapped out his 62 mm throttle body and I can buy his for 100.00 and I figured there are other benefits to the ford racing intake vs stock with delete plates, kinda hoping to find the manifold lightly used for a reasonable price but who knows if I will or not.

Are you advising staying with stock intake and throttle body because I don't need the extra airflow? I figured any way to improve air fuel delivery cant be a bad thing on a naturally aspirated car. thanks again in advance!
Joe

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
And stick with the stock manifold and throttle body with delete plates. Unless you plan to rev to 7500.

Agree. Unless you plan to frequently run the engine past 7k, it isn't worth splashing out $1200 on the Ford Racing intake manifold and 62mm TB.
Those cheap eBay headers are made in China. They appear to be nicely made but there are question marks over quality of fitment and durability. Might be worth a gamble for the low price.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Pacesetter long tubes are the best bang for the buck, mine coated and all cost me about $650 all said and done. They don't it the ground ever and I am lowered on BMR drag springs and their K member.
Post a link to your eBay headers

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you advising staying with stock intake and throttle body because I don't need the extra airflow? I figured any way to improve air fuel delivery cant be a bad thing on a naturally aspirated car. thanks again in advance!
Joe

Correct unless you have increased air flow ie boost, your not going to gain anything. On a modded na setup with ported heads/cams increased displacement etc. the gains would be above 6800rpms as that's where the stock intake with delete plates starts to fall off. The frpp manifold and 62mm for the 3v was really design for road race and higher revving.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pacesetter long tubes are the best bang for the buck, mine coated and all cost me about $650 all said and done. They don't it the ground ever and I am lowered on BMR drag springs and their K member.

Pacesetters are probably fine in Texas, but anywhere up here in the rust belt I'd be afraid they would rust out within a few years. Mild steel doesn't hold up in exhaust systems around here.

Joe88xj

forum member
Reaction score

here is the kooks copy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-hea...ash=item465660b244:g:1ioAAOSwpLNX9Mp6&vxp=mtr

heres another
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustan...ash=item36190510d4:g:qYgAAOSwfRdZJdYw&vxp=mtr

there are several similar ones that range in price up to 200.00 some say that there is possibility of rubbing on steering shaft and poly motor mounts may be needed.

the kooks copy design I think avoids that but I dunno anybody have any insight into that?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Pacesetters are probably fine in Texas, but anywhere up here in the rust belt I'd be afraid they would rust out within a few years. Mild steel doesn't hold up in exhaust systems around here.

I had mine ceramic coated. I mentioned that.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had mine ceramic coated. I mentioned that.

Ceramic coat doesn't stop rust...probably helps prevent it in dry climes, but as I was told it's still a pretty porous coating. My JBA's are 409 stainless which will still form rust, and I was getting rust spots all over the place on them after a year of driving. Hell, sitting in my garage over the winter caused them to develop more rust than driving the car did.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
If you get them I will too. I'm interested in the second link you posted. I just hope the welds are good.

Would I need a new x pipe? How does that work out. Currently have pypes O/R X pipe.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
If you get them I will too. I'm interested in the second link you posted. I just hope the welds are good.

Would I need a new x pipe? How does that work out. Currently have pypes O/R X pipe.

Those look like a copy of my Borla LT's with a ball/socket joint .. the Borla's have a slip fit. They should have less rubbing issues with the straight pipe over a set that has the spaghetti straps ...

You will need to modify your mid pipe by having a ball socket welded on it, .. any competent exhaust shop should be able to fab it up for $100.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
These are Kooks or Pypes copies and/or probably the same manufacturer for Pypes without the mark up.

I bought them from eBay for $165 shipped and it's been just sitting for over a month. Not sure when I'll be putting them on.

24f3f0b53d671c9380e0c4c46a5c651a.jpg

c930cad3d044e7c0bba5402614694a7b.jpg

e62bf27fe98fbbecbdc65ddb519b0669.jpg

ef3c80524ba0ea2e5133f45d65613277.jpg
513ce25953b39e63623cb8d4152add2d.jpg

f224ccd3fc25bd28a505592637ce6112.jpg

Joe88xj

forum member
Reaction score
Those look like a copy of my Borla LT's with a ball/socket joint .. the Borla's have a slip fit. They should have less rubbing issues with the straight pipe over a set that has the spaghetti straps ...

You will need to modify your mid pipe by having a ball socket welded on it, .. any competent exhaust shop should be able to fab it up for $100.

You are saying the second set of pipes that I listed with the mostly parallel pipes should have less rubbing issues? I figured the first set would be less likely to have issues because the driver side is different than passenger side, I am assuming so that there is clearance for steering shaft. but I am a noob to these cars so any input is appreciated.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
These are Kooks or Pypes copies and/or probably the same manufacturer for Pypes without the mark up.

I bought them from eBay for $165 shipped and it's been just sitting for over a month. Not sure when I'll be putting them on.

24f3f0b53d671c9380e0c4c46a5c651a.jpg

c930cad3d044e7c0bba5402614694a7b.jpg

e62bf27fe98fbbecbdc65ddb519b0669.jpg

ef3c80524ba0ea2e5133f45d65613277.jpg
513ce25953b39e63623cb8d4152add2d.jpg

f224ccd3fc25bd28a505592637ce6112.jpg

Damn those actually look quite nice.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just concerned about the install. I mean I did my mid pipe in the parking lot of big lots with a scissor jack and no jack stands. I'm sure I can figure it out now I have a garage, real jack and stands, and more tools.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Header install isn't hard, just takes time. You have to raise the engine and support it, and remove the engine mounts. I did mine on jackstands but you gotta get it up pretty high for it to actually work.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back