How to swap a 5.4 into your mustang.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR Y'ALL FUCKING YOUR SHIT UP.

I am making this because I wish someone had done the same before I started my swap, so i'm doing any of all interested in this swap a service and laying it all out.

Alright so as some of y'all know, I just recently swapped a 5.4 into my V6 mustang. Overall it was a lot of fun, and in comparison to most swaps it was fairly smooth; also, if you have a GT this is LOADS easier. I removed A/C from my car so i'm just running an A/C delete instead of a compressor. I'll put everything for the GT in black and everything extra for the V6 in red.

Overall on a scale of 1-10 i'd put this at around a 7 or 8. So here goes nothing.

Tools:
Complete set of sockets, wrenchs, ect
Air tools(Impact, grinder)
Torque Wrench
Engine hoist
Lift(not needed but makes everything 10x easier)
Welder
A few cases of beer.

Parts Needed:

- 5.4 3V Triton motor(the F150 and F350 have different timing covers and power steering pump locations. The 06-09 F150 timing cover is the same routing as the mustang) Also, try and get a dressed long block, it makes everything easier.
- 8 Bolt flywheel
- 5.4 Intake manifold(In my case I just went with the JPC manifold.)
- GT500 engine support brackets
- GT500 oil pick up tube
- CMDPs
- UDPs
- Reuse your stock water pump.
- Aftermarket fuel rails( not needed but a good idea with intake manifold. I went with FORE rails and -8 line for the feed and cross over. Aeromotive makes a fitting to connect AN hose to the stock feed line. Make sure you use o-ring fittings on the fuel)
- Prothane motor mounts.
- Start up tune.
- TR3650 from an 05+ GT(with linkage)
- Stock mustang GT clutch
- Stock GT Drive shaft
- GT 8.8 rear end(stock GT pinion flange)
- GT engine harness(depending on your year car you need an 05-06 or 07+)
- GT ECU
- Stock GT airbox
- Stock GT injectors
- Stock GT exhaust manifolds
- Stock GT H-pipe
- Stock GT waterpump
- Stock GT alternator
- GT driveshaft bolts(to connect the rear to the pinion, and the driveshaft support)
- Stock GT evap lines(I did all of mine in AN fittings)

- GT oil filter/lower water neck piece.

Alright so now that you have all of the parts you need, go ahead and start by removing the motor. I don't really think I have to explain it, just discharge your a/c, drain all of your fluids, unplug all of your hoses and harness, dismount your trans and motor mounts and lift the motor out. It helps to take off the intake manifold when pulling the motor out, I connected an engine leveler to one of the alternator studs, and one of the upper transmission bolts.

Alright, so now that you have your motor out of the car, and assuming that you bought a dress long block, start by removing the water pump pulley and crank pulley on the 5.4(I used a fan clutch removal tool on the 5.4 to get the fan clutch off) Then replace the 5.4 water pump your your stock GT water pump and install your UDPs. Then Install your GT500 engine support brackets on the block, they're labeled L(driver side) and R(passenger side) Then install a stock GT belt. Install your stock alternator, and stock oil filter/lower water neck.

Next remove your flywheel and clutch assembly, and install a new pilot bearing and 8 bolt flywheel, and then reinstall the stock clutch.

Install the manifold, CMDPs, and fuel rails, and put on the passenger side header, LEAVE OFF THE DRIVER SIDE HEADER UNTIL THE MOTOR IS IN THE CAR.

So now that you have the 5.4 almost ready to go, it's time to go over what needs to be modified to make this bitch fit.

1) The drivers side header will have to be ground down to clear the steering rack. I'll take a photo of it in a bit.

2) The water necks are different, so what I did was use the 5.4 crossover but cut the neck off the stock GT and the 5.4 and weld it into the correct position so I could use a stock GT hose.

3) the h-pipe will need to be cut and widened to accommodate the wider motor.

4) In my case I had to cut the hood to fit the JPC manifold, but i'm covering it up with a roush scoop.

The wiring between the motors is nearly the same EXCEPT for the knock sensors. If you have a GT just swap your knock sensors over to the 5.4, but if you have a V6 your going to need to do some slight soldering.

So now drop your motor in, reconnect your transmission, connect up your harness and load your new start up tune and start her up.

The end.

Big50

forum member
Reaction score
"It delivers 300 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and 365 pound-feet of torque at 3,750 rpm."

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
You did a good job man . 1st crank start up !

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Well I actually took her out on the road tonight.

HOLY SHIT this thing is a big difference from a V6. I'll put up pics and vids later.

CaliSpecial07

Reaction score
holly shit this is bad ass how dose it drive? have u ever driven a gt mustang in comparision?

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
Aluminum block. Dude that is awesome. Wish I could get a ride in the 5.4. Definitely going to do this.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
The 5.4 3V's are iron or so I thought. I can see doing this going from a V-6 but not worth the trouble going from a 4.6 aluminum 3V.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Iron block aluminium heads. The advantage is The displacement difference. With close to a liter more each mod is worth more power. Look at a cammed LS1, you can easily get 450 wheel out of a slightly modified 350

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Yea, a fried of mine wants to make a video of the car this weekend, so we'll see what happens.

Bulletproof

Reaction score
have you considered dropping a supercharger on top of it. im thinking about picking up a v6 and doing this with a lightning motor, or just dropping a kenne bell on a triton.
i have an 08 GT/CS as my dd but i want a project car and this would be perfect.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Well I really like the JPC intake manifold so a roots style is kind of not an option for me.

So either turbos or a procharger are my options for FI.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back