3.7 Eco-Boost & Direct Injection

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I recently read that Ford has been able to make an "easy" 500 hp with a 3.5 Eco-Boost engine in testing.

It got me thinking that if the 3.7 were Eco-Boosted and had GDI added to it Ford could easily and reliably make as much hp (or maybe more) and likely a far more usable torque curve than the new 5.0 makes while still having the same rev range.

Of course with an equal amount of torque about 2000 rpm sooner the need for high rpm's is called into question.

Last edited:

Chrome61

forum member
Reaction score
I was looking at new F150's and their engine options and comparing the eco-boost to the 6.2 The 6.2 made 440 lbs. of torque @4400 rpm's and the eco-boost made about the same torque @ 2500 rpms.

They didn't have any of the Eco-boost trucks in stock but I told them to call me when they get one in. I'm dying to test drive one.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
The V6 ecoboost engine is 3.5L, not the 3.7L. I don't think that the internals are quite the same either from a max power AND longevity standpoint as far as the 3.7L is concerned.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The V6 ecoboost engine is 3.5L, not the 3.7L. I don't think that the internals are quite the same either from a max power AND longevity standpoint as far as the 3.7L is concerned.

Do you think that Ford doesn't have the means to make the 3.7 last under an Eco-Boost?

The 3.7 and the 3.5 are the same engine except the the bore which is 3mm larger. 92.5mm vs 95.5mm. Such a small bore change would have little effect on longevity. Stroke remains the same. They also use the exact same block.

Candy09GT

Reaction score
one of my friends went to a class to learn to work on the new ford 6.7L diesel. the engineer there told him that there are ecoboost 5.0 V8 test mules out on the street right now.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
one of my friends went to a class to learn to work on the new ford 6.7L diesel. the engineer there told him that there are ecoboost 5.0 V8 test mules out on the street right now.

New shelby engines??????

Candy09GT

Reaction score
he didnt say but it could be. just think a V8 making big power and getting good mpg at the same time.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
I recently read that Ford has been able to make an "easy" 500 hp with a 3.5 Eco-Boost engine in testing.

It got me thinking that if the 3.7 were Eco-Boosted and had GDI added to it Ford could easily and reliably make as much hp (or maybe more) and likely a far more usable torque curve than the new 5.0 makes while still having the same rev range.

Of course with an equal amount of torque about 2000 rpm sooner the need for high rpm's is called into question.

If you want 500 hp you better buy the 5.0, even then it isn't easy.

Do you think that Ford doesn't have the means to make the 3.7 last under an Eco-Boost?

Not with their current pistons/rods.

My uncle's cousin's sister's boyfriend works for NASA, he said that engine is going to be used to shoot the space shuttle to mars.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Not with their current pistons/rods.

So you can't fathom that Ford could change the piston diameter and put everything from a 3.5 EcoBoost into/onto a 3.7 block and easily produce a 3.7 Eco-Boost for the Mustang?

You could surely make 500 hp easily with the 5.0, but I'm sorry to point out to you that the 3.7, if it were EcoBoost, could match the 5.0 for horsepower, and would wipe the floor with the 5.0 when it comes to torque and its related curve. Then it would go on to beat it in fuel economy which matters big time right now because of the Federal CAFE requirements.

I can make such a statement because the 3.5 EcoBoost already out torques the 5.0 with ease and has a better, more usable, torque curve.

Last edited:

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
So you can't fathom that Ford could change the piston diameter and put everything from a 3.5 EcoBoost into/onto a 3.7 block and easily produce a 3.7 Eco-Boost for the Mustang?

You could surely make 500 hp easily with the 5.0, but I'm sorry to point out to you that the 3.7, if it were EcoBoost, could match the 5.0 for horsepower, and would wipe the floor with the 5.0 when it comes to torque and its related curve.

I can make such a statement because the 3.5 EcoBoost already out torques the 5.0 with ease and has a better, more usable, torque curve.

They could make a 19 liter ecoboost, but they aren't going to. Pointless to talk about.

If 500 hp were easy everyone with a SHO would have 500 hp :roflmao:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They could make a 19 liter ecoboost, but they aren't going to. Pointless to talk about.

If 500 hp were easy everyone with a SHO would have 500 hp :roflmao:

Yup and 5 years ago Ford wasn't gonna make a 5.0.

My point is, unless you work on power train development at Ford, neither you nor I know where Ford is going with its power train.

What I do know is the Federal Gov't has mandated corporate wide fuel requirements that Ford must meet. It's logical to theorize that a 3.7 EB could meet power requirements for the Mustang and improve the CAFE rating at the same time.

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
who gives a shit about the .2 liters? why redesign and engnie/change internals for .2 liters when they already hit the nail on the head with the 3.5?!? and if ford can "easily" do it, guess what? ---it would already be done. i just hope the next gen GT500 gets a GDI 5.0 but who knows.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was looking at new F150's and their engine options and comparing the eco-boost to the 6.2 The 6.2 made 440 lbs. of torque @4400 rpm's and the eco-boost made about the same torque @ 2500 rpms.

They didn't have any of the Eco-boost trucks in stock but I told them to call me when they get one in. I'm dying to test drive one.

You will not be impressed with the new EcoBoost F150. I test drove one the other day and was not happy with the "pick up" (no pun intended) when smashing the pedal to the floor. I am leaving my options open to buying one still but I thought it would have been faster. I think my 2007 Nissan Titan with a K&N drop in filter and UpRev tune could easily beat the F150 EcoBoost.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You will not be impressed with the new EcoBoost F150. I test drove one the other day and was not happy with the "pick up" (no pun intended) when smashing the pedal to the floor. I am leaving my options open to buying one still but I thought it would have been faster. I think my 2007 Nissan Titan with a K&N drop in filter and UpRev tune could easily beat the F150 EcoBoost.

wonder how eco will run tunes and cai...:idea:

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score

A lighter truck with a more powerful V8 could beat a V6? :wow:

wonder how eco will run tunes and cai...:idea:

Won't be anything special.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
The 3.5 Ecoboost in the Flex we just picked up yesterday really surprised me with how well it moved the AWD flex down the road. With a tune it can pick up 60rwhp on premium gas and no other changes and the particular EB 3.5 they put in the Flex doesn't have the TiVCT that the ecoboost in the F150 has. I think your but dyno may have been a little off on the F150 test drive. You also have to take into account that the Nissan is s much smaller and lighter truck on average.

There really isn't a big advantage of taking the 3.7 and adding ecoboost to it vs the 3.5. You will gain a large advantage by going with a little more timing or boost or both than the 0.3L displacement increase will yield.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fastest how: 0-60, 0-100, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, 1 mile, 2 mile, 5 mile, around the world by boat, driving in reverse, or braking?!?!?

The comment about V8>V6 is retarded. Last time I checked that wimpy little V6 out pulled that BIG V8. Also got better fuel mileage in the process. I am not talking about drag racing a truck but the difference in the engines.

If you are going to tell me the V8 is a better option than a V6 Direct Injected Turbo charged V6 simply because it is a V8 then I have nothing further to say about this. Its obvious the conversation will go nowhere,

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 3.5 Ecoboost in the Flex we just picked up yesterday really surprised me with how well it moved the AWD flex down the road. With a tune it can pick up 60rwhp on premium gas and no other changes and the particular EB 3.5 they put in the Flex doesn't have the TiVCT that the ecoboost in the F150 has. I think your but dyno may have been a little off on the F150 test drive. You also have to take into account that the Nissan is s much smaller and lighter truck on average.

There really isn't a big advantage of taking the 3.7 and adding ecoboost to it vs the 3.5. You will gain a large advantage by going with a little more timing or boost or both than the 0.3L displacement increase will yield.

Trust me I am a big fan of the EcoBoost program. I am still planning on my next truck to possibly be an F150 with the EcoBoost. I would have thought for the torque the engine has it would have been faster. All I can suggest is go drive a new one a make your opinion about it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back